PDA

View Full Version : Why does FMF Megamax suck?

riotact
02-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Two weeks ago I picked up a brand new FMF Megamax muffler for $105 shipped and it seems to be built decent.It did have a few scratches in it probly from sitting on a shelf for awhile so I polished it up.The only problems I can see so far with it maby beeing a piece of trash is where the mid pipe is welded to the cap.That joint looks like it might leak within the first ride.The second thing I didnt like is how it uses a stainless strap to attach to the bike.What are some other problems this thing has.I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it since I got a good deal on it,or sell it for something different.Thanks for any input.:cool:

05440EX
02-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Is there anyway you could take a pic of it for me? I just bought a EX with an FMF on it and I'm trying to figure out which muffler it is... can't find it anywhere but some on here have suggested that its a megamax.

riotact
02-24-2010, 01:42 PM
This is one that is currently on Ebay.It is the same as the one I have.The only difference is I polished mine up.I would've taken a pic of mine but right now its a pile of parts.

riotact
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM

05440EX
02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
After actually digging out of snow to my shop and looking I do have the megamax, my bad I swore it said something else on it. Yea thats exactly the pipe I got, thanks for the pic!

So is it really that bad? Seems to be just like the supertrapps to me...

riotact
02-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Thats what I'm trying to find out too.Other then the things I posted earlier,it seems ok for the price.It is repackable and adjustable.The can is over an 1/8" thick but the end caps are stamped instead of machined.It has a quiet core also.Did yours come with the exhaust deflector?It should sound similar to a supertrapp or other exhaust with a disk system hopefully.

yamaharyder55
02-25-2010, 07:26 AM
thats the same pipe i have too. i never really have had problems except with the inner tube piece (the one you wrap the packing around) it broke apart and packing got packed towards the rear with the discs and clogged the discs and reallly restricted airflow. does anyone know if they make a different endcap for it like the other pipes have instead of the discs?

riotact
02-25-2010, 07:58 AM
As far as I know,all the parts for this have been discontinued.I think you can just use the quiet core and the end cap but I'm not sure.I dont think they made a different end cap for it.

05440EX
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Mine was on my EX when I bought it so I don't have the quiet core or anything else with it, just a stack of discs that were on it. What does the deflector look like? How does that quiet core work?

Overall mine sounds pretty good I think and seems to run just fine.

riotact
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
The part in the middle is the quiet core.It just reduces the diameter to make it quieter I'm pretty sure.I do not have a pic of the deflector though maby someone else does that has one of these.

KEN1
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
The 2000 400EX I recently bought came with that Megamax slip-on........looked like a mailbox on the back of my quad.For $179 I bought one of these Lexx pipes from Rocky mtn atv.More power and better looks then that Mega mailbox.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&allVehParts=true&navType=type&webTypeId=57&navTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=19536#vehicleSelect

My EX:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/ken5423/CIMG0969.jpg

MidnightBlade
02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
ok that lexx has the same problem my surpertrapp had it sticks out the back too far for the stock grab bar i cut a few inches off the back and redrilled my pipe it made it have a better rumble for free

beastlywarrior
02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
i picked one up cheap and put it on my warrior i pulled the discs off and it gives it a sweet bark for the track and i made a custom turn down end cap that i put on with the quiet core for some quieter trail ridin
next im gonna polish it real shiny
its a very versatile pipe

05440EX
02-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd really like to get ahold of one of those quiet cores for mine... any of you guys got one you wanna part with?

05440EX
02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by KEN1
The 2000 400EX I recently bought came with that Megamax slip-on........looked like a mailbox on the back of my quad.For $179 I bought one of these Lexx pipes from Rocky mtn atv.More power and better looks then that Mega mailbox.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?&allVehParts=true&navType=type&webTypeId=57&navTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=19536#vehicleSelect

My EX:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/ken5423/CIMG0969.jpg

To me that thing is bigger and bulkier looking than the megamax!! But whatever floats your boat.

Rscarpantonio
03-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by 05440EX
To me that thing is bigger and bulkier looking than the megamax!! But whatever floats your boat.

haha thats what i was thinking but its whatever you like

riotact
03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I checked out those Lexx pipes too and for the money I would throw in a little extra cash and just have got an HMF.I'm not really a big fan of that pipe.