PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on an 03 LT50

yernkie
02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm going to look at an 03 LT50 for my daughter tomorrow. Is there anything I should look out for? Are the 2 strokes pretty reliable?

maximus1029
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
They are extremely reliable. Take a close look at the engine case to make sure it is not cracked. That is the only advice I got when I got mine. I have an 02 50 and 01 80.. They are pretty indestructable. I have had no problems with any of mine.

yernkie
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I know they are 2 stroke and automatic, but do they have a throttle limiter? How is the pull start? Are they oil injected, or do you premix?

maximus1029
02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
The 50's are cool... they have a pull starter. Ours is a little difficult to get started if it has sat for awhile...I just pull off the air filter and pour a little gas in there and it fires right up. It has oil injection, you will want to double check if the one your looking at still has it or if they have gone to premix. I have heard of stories of the pumps going out and frying an engine, but as long as you watch it and keep seeing smoke, your still getting oil. There is a throttle limiter on the thumb, easy adjust, just a screw to block the throttle. There is also a limiter in the exhaust (I think) The exhaust is easy to pull of and take it out. How old is your daugter? We put my second son on when he was 3 and he did pretty well with the throttle full and the exhaust limiter out. It has a lanyard on the back that you can pull and kill it. When we first started, I would run behind him just to keep him slow. If he tried to go to fast he would leave me in the dust, holding his kill switch, and he would coast to a stop. Now, after a few nasty spills from not looking where he was going, he is very safe at 4 years old and it does not go that fast. But there is a thumb screw to limit them if you want.

yernkie
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I picked up the 50 tonight. It is in great shape and started up first pull with no choke (after sitting in the bed of the guys truck all day in 20 degree weather...I was sold after that). I plan to give it a tuneup this weekend (air filter, engine oil, and spark plug). Since there is a Kawi dealer a few blocks away I plan to run Kawi 10-40 in the crankcase. What is the engine oil capacity? What 2 stroke oil is should I use? It is still oil injected.

Oh, and my daughter is stoked! She is 4 and it was hard to get her to bed tonight :)

maximus1029
02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
We use kawasaki racing oil. Your dealer should have it. That's awesome she is excited. It's a nice little quad. Just hope she doesn't like it too much and want to get into racing, because then it turns into a whole other world. Enjoy, have fun, and be safe.

represent618
02-25-2010, 05:56 AM
I have an 06, same engine/bike as far as I know. I run with RotellaT 15/40 since thats about all I keep around for the other bikes.
Very dependable/simple little 2-stroke.

Exactly 550ML of oil for the tranny was right on the money when warm.

A good place to get OEM parts is bikebandit, CHEAPER than the dealer.

My daughter is 4 and loves it to death, hope yours enjoys her new toy as well!!

I also bought some autolite sparkplugs from advanced, had them match up the NGK number, and they are about 2 bucks a pop vs 8 from the dealer.

I bought a complete new carb for hers from bikebandit and it fired and ran like a brand new bike. (it was running poor when I bought it)

Maximus said it right, I am not going to push mine into racing, more likely steer them away, but if they happen to say "dad I want to race" - well then dads going on a shopping spree and we will be at the track!! (with or without mom ) :D

yernkie
02-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to see her on it soon!