PDA

View Full Version : my lil story-r4 exhaust?

saponi1
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
recently i had the good luck of gettin an 03 400ex. it came with a k&n air filter, 6 vent lid, a dial a jet which i unhooked, and plugged, and a white brothers r4 slip on. i bought it for $750. the only thing it needed was a good carb scrubbin. now i have an instant joyride waiting to happen in my garage. i still have'nt taken it out and put it thru its paces yet, but it's coming. my question pertains to the exhaust. i tried to look it up, & the only thing i can find is vance & hines had bought the white brothers offroad branch. can anybody tell me about the r4. i like to know a lil bit about the equipment i run. my jetting is a dynojet 146 main, & a 38 pilot. i have'nt pulled the plug yet to check my mixture, but it sure feels right. i'm just happy i got it very cheap.

honda400ex2003
02-23-2010, 10:37 PM
the jetting sounds very close with an open lid and such. Yes white bros. was sold off and taken over by vance and hines. the e series and such that they used to make are getting harder to find but are still great exhausts. yours you can still get packing for and other parts if needed. it is still made and can be bought at most outlets on the web, dennis kirk and such carry the r4. The r4 is a decent exhaust also in my opinion. I almost bought a e series over my t-4 when looking. the white bros are known for having a good sound and good power output throughout the range. the e series was a tunable exhaust which made it quite unique. there was only a couple others like it such as the supertrapp, ct racing setup, the megamax that sucks, and possibly one or two more that are slipping my mind at the moment. Other than that what other questions do you have? steve

honda400ex2003
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
welcome to the site too. just noticed you have 6 posts. lol. steve

saponi1
02-24-2010, 04:58 AM
thanks steve, i'll probably have a few questions later on. right now i'm in the process of planning out some undercarriage protection for my bike. i work in a machine shop, & am gonna make a skid plate and a-arm guards. i want to take some 316 stainless, duplex, or inconel, and cut it down to 1/16 thick, drill and mount it. that duplex and inconel is very hard, so it does'nt have to be thick. i love the r4 exhaust. it kinda reminds me of a flowmaster, and right now it suits me just fine.

IcutMetl
02-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Duplex and inconel are some very nasty materials; if you have the cash and the capability, have at it...but I would think some 300 series plate would work just fine- much nicer to work with and a lot easier to weld. Or save yourself some weight and get a 1/4" aluminum skid; I bash the crap out of mine and it's working out great.

riotact
02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I would go with the aluminum plate too.I remember turning some inconel and that was a pain in the $#$! The only thing I could get to cut it was some micro 100 inserts.It would be much lighter/cheaper/easier out of the aluminum.

saponi1
02-24-2010, 04:27 PM
yeah i'll probably go with aluminum.just thinkin outside the box a little. i had to rough out some duplex parts the other week. 6 of them @ 38" and still with millscale on them. it aint fun i know. that would be pretty cool though. that would last longer than you would want to rebuild the bike over and over again. i like to make stuff, and i'm in the right place to do it. by the way, does anyone know of a place around houston to get cheap tires in houston? dennis kirk has added an extra $5 charge to theirs with a fishy explaination. i keep hoping i'll stumble across a good deal somewhere