PDA

View Full Version : Bets honda 400ex mods

COmntbabe
02-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi all, I am buying a brand new 2007 honda 400ex. I am getting a really good deal on it from a dealer. so I have some money to put into it. What do you suggest i start with? Exaust? nerf bars . . .???

honda400ex2003
02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the site. Sparks 6degree timing key, filter, slip on, tires. that will get you started off for a about 600 bucks depending on tires and if you get wheels or not. I suggest to check out the stickies at the top of the page lots of good mods to do once you get into the machine a bit and are ready to start doing stuff. the 450r carb is a good add on, along with the shocks front 450 shocks. Once you do that you can get a wider axle, arms, and start to get a cam and a high compression piston to put in it after awhile. steve

honda400ex2003
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
also nerfs would be the first thing i put on a machine then do the rest with tires next, key after this, then an exhaust if you still want a bit more. also sprockets can be good if you go to a 14 tooth from the stock 15 it helps out with the lower end of the machine and makes it a bit quicker. steve

bkelley
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
also nerfs would be the first thing i put on a machine then do the rest with tires next, key after this, then an exhaust if you still want a bit more. also sprockets can be good if you go to a 14 tooth from the stock 15 it helps out with the lower end of the machine and makes it a bit quicker. steve He's got an '07, 14/39 gearing. I agree with everything Steve has said, though.

honda400ex2003
02-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
He's got an '07, 14/39 gearing. I agree with everything Steve has said, though.

whoop missed that, thanks, i would go up to a 15 then lol. steve

rob_990
02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
i wouldnt spend any money on tires yet when yours are still brand new.id get a pipe,filter,jets,and some nerf bars to start out

COmntbabe
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks guys, Any brands i should stay away from, or that you prefer.

I have been riding utility quads so i am a newbe to the sport scene.

rob_990
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
hmf is a good exhaust for the money or white bros if you can find one. sparks is probably the best performing one for the fourhundo but its a bit more expensive.for the the filter id say uni.im not really sure on the nerf bars.i have proarmours and they were good but the heel gaurds will most likely crack after a awhile.

bkelley
02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
The Lexx pipe is a pretty underrated pipe, it's tunable and less than $200. HFM is good and not that expensive, too. As for nerf bars, Tusk makes some nice ones for pretty cheap. You can get just nerfs for like $100 new, or ones with built in heel guards for like $150 on eBay.

COmntbabe
02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
thanx, I am going to pick it up next weekend, i am so excited.
Its in AZ im in CO 12 its a 12 hr drive but it will be worth it!!!!

Ill post a picture when i get it.:D

bigd's ex
02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Welcome to the site & don't forget that helmet . :D

trailrider894
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I think the White Bro's is the best exhaust for horse power gain next to the Sparks...

buggieman48
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I own a 99 an 04 400ex both run white bros r4/e2 the e2 makes more power not as obnouxios sound also..from everything ive seen you dont need a full system reveiws say the stock head pipe is just as good if not better then anything on the market...my exhaust really made its power with the new filter uni/k+n.. the other mod which i thought was my best is my renthal bars.. everyone who has rode my bike has put a set on there bike.. the bars make you feel more in control besides the stock bars and steering stem dont normally make it past the first rollover..I got a lonestar +1 steering stem..1 tooth smaller front sprocket..amr stage 3 cdi ... never have had the desire for the neff bars.. go with sprocket..exhaust(slipon)..air filter.. bars and from there go in the direction the fits you..(dont forget jetting)

John Noftsinger
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
if your trail riding dont get nerfs ,nerfs are for racing in the woods they get sticks caught in them .my mods would be duncan pipe,degree key,reartires,airfilter.

buggieman48
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I bought the stage 3 amr cdi..lrd told me the key wasnt worth the money when you can buy the cdi w/advance and do away with the rev limitor..$80 bucks on e bay plug and play...never tried the degree key so i dont know what it does..got 3 degree advance w the cdi so dont want any more..

trailrider894
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Man you need nerfs!!! Honestly John Noftsinger doesn't know what he is talking about... Nerf bar's have saved me from more pain and sprained ankles than i would like to mention. Trust me... is the $100's for nerf better than a $1000 dollar hospital visit? and mind you i don't even race in the xc. Nerf's are a must have for safety measures!!!

bkelley
03-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Man you need nerfs!!! Honestly John Noftsinger doesn't know what he is talking about... Nerf bar's have saved me from more pain and sprained ankles than i would like to mention. Trust me... is the $100's for nerf better than a $1000 dollar hospital visit? and mind you i don't even race in the xc. Nerf's are a must have for safety measures!!! x2

I can't count how many times my nerfs have saved me. I don't think CDIs are a good idea, either. The EX produces pretty much all of it's power in the low end. Increasing the rev isn't going to do much at all. Waste of $80, in my opinion.

buggieman48
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
x2

I can't count how many times my nerfs have saved me. I don't think CDIs are a good idea, either. The EX produces pretty much all of it's power in the low end. Increasing the rev isn't going to do much at all. Waste of $80, in my opinion. we can go round an round on our own opinions i have never ran a 6 degree key..I know people who have..ive ran a cdi and i see more bang for the buck..i didnt by to get away from rev limitor i agree you dont need to over rev..I dont think my bike ever hit the rev limit but 2 times in years...im running a 14 tooth on a 04 and my bike makes more bottom end now then ever...i didnt know they were still make advance keys...im new here and havnt heard of them in 5 years till i clicked on this site...i live in oregon and they arent the hot ticket here..wasnt saying cdi was the way was just saying dont spend 130 on a cdi when you can buy a hotter coil and cdi w/the best warranty on the market...myself i dont know if you need either timing advance or cdi..

COmntbabe
03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
:from everything ive seen you dont need a full system reveiws say the stock head pipe is just as good if not better then anything on the market:

Any one else think this? I will spend the money on a full system if it will be worth it, but if it is only going to give me a little bit more i would rather spend the money on something else.

3or4HONDA
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
ive heard the same thing up until the point that you have a highly built motor. I just ground the welds out of the stocker and got a slip-on.

tbrackman84
03-06-2010, 09:54 PM
i personally think the best mods to do first are exhaust, filter, jets, nicer than stock bars, good grips that don't destroy your hands like stock ones do, and HANDGUARDS; if you ride anything thick. I hate getting stuff wrapped around my hands and making the clutch hard to work. I don't have heel guards or nerfs and i like it that way. I bought my quad with pro armor nerfs and i didn't like having them on at all, but thats just my opinion.

F-16Guy
03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
If it were me, and I wanted to do some basic mods to my new used 400ex without tearing the motor down or spending a ton of cash, I'd do this:

-- Lexx slip-on (about $175 on eBay)
-- Uni or K&N filter w/outerwears type lid (less than $100)
-- 150 Main jet, 42 pilot jet (about $10)
-- 450R shocks (less than $200 used)
-- Tusk Pro Peg style nerfs with heel guards ($200)
-- Change oil/filter, adjust throttle and clutch cable, inspect everything and lube/adjust anything that needs it ($10)

Once you un-cork the EX with a decent pipe, filter, and jetting, the next major weakness is the front shocks. 450R shocks are a great budget upgrade. They require a little trimming of the upper mount area for a proper fit, but provide a big ride improvement for a very small investment, and they can be revalved and resprung for your weight and riding style later if you wanted. They work fine as-is, though.

The stock tires hook up pretty well, but they're thin, so keep a plug kit with you. New tires would be a big improvement, but I wouldn't buy a set until the old ones are shot.

Nerfs are a good investment to keep your legs safe. I have a big scar on my right leg from my foot peg, and nerfs would have prevented it. The ones with integrated pegs and heel guards are the best, but any are better than none.

slightlybent47
03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
IMO, you should make sure you have all your riding gear first.
Then suspension- suspension- suspension. Putting your money on a motor or any mods that will make it go faster before you do the suspension is like wiping before you poop! It just don’t make since. If you can’t control the power, it’s useless. The ex has way more power then it has suspension in the ability to handle the speed.

The motor mods work best if they are all done at one time, and here is why.
Just one or two mods done at a time only make small gains and it’s hard to really feel the gains that you get. If you do them all at the same time it then becomes very apparent as soon as you start out on the new machine.

Safety gear first then suspension and then motor last. IMO

Check my sig!!!

PaRedneckRiders
03-07-2010, 05:18 PM
ok man if u had a little money left well personaly i would tear the engine apart and put some new parts in it but seeing ur getting it from a dealer
i would juz get a stage 2 hot cam
lrd or curtis sparks pipe mayb a white bros. thats what i have on both mine
a set of 450r front shocks (from 04-05) work best
go to like a 15t front sproket (will still pull up plenty easy)
k&n air filter
nerf bars ar like a must for any big time rider
That would b a good start
then i would get
extended axle
extended a-arms
scince u dont have a big bore or a high comp piston a curtis sparks 6 degree timing key
and just go from there
If u look around there are ALOT of mods for the 400 and
it juz depends what ur looking for like a nice little woods quad or a full blown drag EX

MidnightBlade
03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
DONT GET A TIMING ADVANCE KEY get an adjustable ignition box they are $250 for a dynatek but the keys are just shaven so they brak and shear EXTREMELY fast then get a white bros r or e series and grind the header welds then get a UNI filter and some maxxis razr or razr 2's dont forget to rejet then some 450 front shocks either honda, suzuki, or kawasaki the zuki and kaw make it sit lower in the front and make it easier to wheelie the honda make it sit higher

PaRedneckRiders
03-07-2010, 06:10 PM
ya idk about the advance timing key
personaly never ran one
but ive herd both good and bad things about them but i could only run it in one of mine casue the other has a big bore with a high comp piston
and im not real worried about it i mean dont get me wrong speed is nice to have on demand but it can also hurt

COmntbabe
03-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Ok so I just got the machine, rode it around yesterday. Love it! This is what i am thinking,
It is a brand new machine. straight out of the crate.

Slip on, stage one jets, Sand tires, open air box (when not in the sand).

I have been hearing a lot about shocks. so i will put that on my list. I am new to the Sport scene so i think this is a good start for a newbie.

Comments?

honda rider118
03-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Well i'd only get sand tires if you really plan on being in the sand alot... Consider buying works triple rate shocks, they are nice and for around 300-400 dollars.

COmntbabe
03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes we go out to the Sand Dunes in Utah a lot, so sand tires are a must. i will just keep my stock tires for trail riding, untill they wear out.

trailrider894
03-08-2010, 10:33 AM
don't forget those extra tires are going to need wheels to go with them... lol

honda rider118
03-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Haha yeah don't forget that man... Remember though, shocks are considerable for dunes.

buggieman48
03-09-2010, 07:49 PM
oh boy everyone has opions wish you never asked...you just want to have fun in the sand... tires,exhaustand jeting then filter...get bored renthal bars or pro taper are a nice improvement...ok, thos are the best power mods... still bored w/ money buy a timing key or cdi...still not enough buy a bigger bike..bike builders tell me the timing key is worthless and people on this site say the cdi is a waste of money so its time to buy a bigger bike for me...see you on the yfz site