PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slippage

island400ex
02-23-2010, 09:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone else was having any issues with their clutch slipping after installing a big bore kit?

EXinMB
02-23-2010, 02:35 PM
yup i sure do. first started when i topped up a bit with synthetic Bel Ray oil. then smoked it. i sanded the plates (tip i got from a dealership) worked but not great. so i rebuilt it. started slipping i did alot of hard riding and slipping the clutch like a 2 stroke my fault there. then i rebuilt it with 3 different kinds of plates including stock ones and its starting to slip but heres what lasted longer for me. DP springs, 1/2 set of used DP Steel plates, 1/2 a set of Honda new steel, and 1 DP used fiber and the rest Barnett fibers. Seemed like it works but now its slips once the motor warms up. im goin to add a 2nd oil cooler to see if that helps but if not im goin with a 8 plate kit if that fails im goin back to stock bore

island400ex
02-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Wow that sounds like a bit of a complex setup! Do you think the problem is synthetics? I found a clutch set on eBay tonite that I am thinking of trying, and they are going to send thier 450r springs with the kit. I must say it's a bit of a let down doing all this work to the engine and not be able to get the power to the ground!

JOHNDOE83
02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I run 10w 30 regular auto motor oil and mine never slips.
I also bought a tusk heavy duty clutch and springs from rocky mountain ATV, I did this over a year ago and still not sliping.

honda400ex2003
02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by island400ex
Wow that sounds like a bit of a complex setup! Do you think the problem is synthetics? I found a clutch set on eBay tonite that I am thinking of trying, and they are going to send thier 450r springs with the kit. I must say it's a bit of a let down doing all this work to the engine and not be able to get the power to the ground!
you cant run full synthetic. a blend is ok or if it is rated for wet clutch. I would suggest getting a full 8 plate hinson setup if it is really bad. you should have no problems with that setup. I wouldnt waste your time with stock plates unless you run hd springs or something but your best bet would be to go hinson and quit buying other stuff. you could try a tusk with hd springs and see if it works out. it seems to work great in my 416 but it isnt quite as high of hp and torque as a built 440. just my .02 though, steve

gt400ex
02-24-2010, 01:56 AM
The tusk with HD springs seems to be holding up with my 440 stroker. And its priced right! I would try this route first.