PDA

View Full Version : best year crf for hybrid

quadfmx
02-23-2010, 02:39 AM
lets leave out the new efi, but i had heard the 04 or 05 was the best year for a quad from a couple of people but didnt get a reason why,
could someone shed some light on the subject for me,

also i was looking for some old posts where people were building hybrids and cant find them if anyone has some saved and could post some links id appreciate it

rooster408
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
i have an o4 in my lonstar,works fine,would love to get an 07 lot of mates have them in there walsh's and laegers seem to be brillant!!!!!!

miles Machine
02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
07 08 are the best they were updated a little bit and have a 41 fcr mx instead of the 40

quadfmx
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
okay so if the 07/08 's the best whats the going price on one of them,

If i had to say downgrade and get one a little older what year should i shoot for and price range given its in good condition?
thx guys

miles Machine
02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
07 08 could run you up to 1700

Rootar
02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
any motor from 05 and up should come with the newer electronics. which is a BIG deal. as for the 41fcr being better than the 39... on a stock bore the difference is not noticable now on a big bore definetly.

miles Machine
02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
or port work high lift cam and a high comp piston...then the 43 is even better lol

Rootar
02-23-2010, 10:27 PM
i had a built crf450 and ran my 39 carb it was great, now im running a stock head, mild cam, and piston on av gas instead of 114 and its not nearly the same.

But hey ive got a spare crf motor here that needs a 500 kit, over size valves, 43.5 bored carb, new head work, and a big nasty cam :o well atleast thats the plan... i just hate to throw out a good semi "fresh" motor thats only got 36 hours on it as a whole.

another thing to note is that the 05 and later motors have different mounts than the older model motors.

miles Machine
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
how much do you want or that spare engine?

Rootar
02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
there is a local guy here that calls me every week it seems like asking to buy it.... everytime i mention it somebody wants it.

but it aint forsale i keep two complete setups with there own carbs and electronics and spares for both, not that i think the engines are unreliable but freak accidents happen and if im 8 hours away at a race and i blow my motor in practice or the first moto you better believe ill have a new engine in for the 2nd moto :D but really its so i dont have any down time with the bike i can always have a running motor in it and take my sweet time building or doing something to the other motor.

besides one of theys days i might come across a good roller.

btw brandon did you ever sort stuff out on here, i was really dissappointed to here of some things.

quadfmx
02-24-2010, 08:04 PM
so with going with say an 05 are u better off buying a nice used bike and then being able to pull all the electronics carb etc, everything needed, part out the dirt bike then,

it just seems you would get everything you need for alot less that way, yes the initial investment would be more but it seems you would come out better in the end,

I feel sure some of you guys have went about this both ways would u offer opinions on the above topic

Rootar
02-24-2010, 09:49 PM
yes buying a bike is a good idea because you can right it and make sure it runs good. but before you buy i would ask the remove the clutch cover and check out the basket, pull the plug and check to see how it looks. just make damn sure you look it over CLOSLEY. Youll more than likely find a nice good bike that will have a few upgrades which is good when you part the bike out.

btw alot of the parts you might wanna keep, (cailpers, master cyclinders, bars, controls, etc....)

hontrx265r
02-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh come on 09 right? well thats what we are hoping for. Thought I'd shead a little light on it since its been so long. Got the motor mounts done. Still need to do a little adj. on one. but they are all solid billet. Got my cr500 shock built and powdered the springs. Protrax is getting rechromed. bunch of other little odds and ends are coming along too but can't share it all quite yet.

hontrx265r
02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Diggin the spring trying to go a bit retro with it. But no red frame.. this thing is taking so long my frame has started to rust.. ahh!!

hontrx265r
02-24-2010, 10:59 PM
baby on the way so I pulled out the atc 70.. time to get to work.

quadfmx
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
yes buying a bike is a good idea because you can right it and make sure it runs good. but before you buy i would ask the remove the clutch cover and check out the basket, pull the plug and check to see how it looks. just make damn sure you look it over CLOSLEY. Youll more than likely find a nice good bike that will have a few upgrades which is good when you part the bike out.

btw alot of the parts you might wanna keep, (cailpers, master cyclinders, bars, controls, etc....)

yes riding the bike to test engine trans etc so i dont buy frozen brakes,

If i go crf, which it looks like i am I was thinking about doing a built powervalve 250R 300 or 350 engine by arlan lehman,
But either way im going Walsh so they make all the bits and pieces like adapters etc needed,

I know ill need motor- carb or efi, also wiring harness and electron

I thought i could prob use most of the rear brakes, and controls, clutch etc.

What can u get for a crf without the parts needed for the crf build.
I know a nice frame and forks are not cheap items. I also know the newer the year the probability to get more for the roller than a new one.