PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stems.

zach R 7x
02-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Just wanted to give people a heads up. if you are purchasing or thinking about purchasing a new suspension ,do not forget the steering stem. a friend of mine had issuse with his stock stem this weekend ,they were practicing at ram jams in Ohio and the flag broke and he crashed into the wall. he did not get hurt but could of been ugly. these stock stems are just like everything else on these quads,ok for moderate or yard quads ,but when your kid starts to air it out and ride hard in the turns ,stock parts are going to break.
we have never broke one but have bent 3 of them this past year.this will make me purchase one asap.
i am not trying to push parts for anybody, just don't want to see anybody get hurt for an over sight.

JMHO, Tim

drt18
02-22-2010, 12:12 PM
It was my son Darian Tait that wrecked Saturday when his steering stem broke. My reason for posting is we all spend so much money on this hobby, don't overlook some parts as "I'll get it when I have the money. We all don't want to see any wrecks but this one could have been prevented.

On a lighter note, my wife saw the wreck and said "why don't you have a better stem?" so i ordered an ATV Four Play stem that night. Anyway, Darian is fine but the look on his face........If his eyes could have talked they would have said what the #@!% just happend !?!?!

T@AFP
02-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I would like to elaborate on the reason why this one broke. I have have seen plenty of them break and fortunately none of the riders were hurt.
The reason is the flag on the stem (where the tie rod ends mount). It is flat and a weak piece of metal.

The stems were designed for 4-6" of stock wheel travel. They are not designed for long travel 8-9" of wheel travel.
When the A arms go into full extension it "binds" on the flag and tierod ends. Think of putting a 12" cresent wrench on a thin piece of metal and pulling down. It will bend/break. NOT if... but WHEN.

Most suspension manufacturers should know this and should recommend a aftermarket stem to go with their A arms. Long travel stems have the flags bent to accommodate the extra travel.

If you don't have the $ for a aftermarket stem. I totally understand. But please keep and eye on your kids stem. Maybe have it gusseted. That will help.

Thanks