PDA

View Full Version : 2005 300ex or 2004 blaster???

LTMFB
02-21-2010, 03:35 PM
So getting ready to pull the trigger for my 14 yr old. Is there anything that I need to check when I'm looking at them?

The major differences for me is my son's weight. He is light and I don't want the bike to be too heavy for him to throw around...(+ for blaster) but I also want it to be reliable and I heard the 300/400ex are nearly bulletproof..

He has NEVER ridden a clutch but will pick it up pretty well I believe but is all in all a beginner..

Any suggestions....It will MOST LIKELY come down to which one is the better deal....Just looking for some expert advice...from ppl that have had both..

honda400ex2003
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
imo a 250ex would be great for him for a few years. he can learn to use a clutch on the newer ones since they have both a clutch and a auto clutch setup. it will be plenty peppy for him. If you feel that he may be a bit too big for that a 300 would be really nice. The blasters are great for light nimble type of riding but oil gets oil when you have to start buying it all the time. there is however a much better performance market for a blaster. the 300 has plenty of good stuff out for it to make it an even better trail machine but will be a bit heavier. I think the blaster and the 300 stock for stock will be really close to the same speeds also. the 300 might edge it out a bit on low and the blaster will catch it on top to come out at right around 62 ish i would think. I am not sure if you want him going that fast or even to have the possiblity of going that fast. teh 250 tops out right around 57-59 if you are lucky. these are just guesstimates since i have not ridden any of them for a while. I have had or ridden all three at one time or another and would say that a 300 would be a great machine for many years and will be worth more than a blaster any day if he wants to sell it in the future. just my .,02 though. I have owned a blaster and a 250 when i was younger while my sister has a 300. steve

finsteratv
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
my 300 is mostly stock and gets it done. i looked at both bikes but with the 300 u dont have to mess with all the stupid mix oil. if i were u get him a 300:D

LTMFB
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
very good points, thank you!

honda400ex2003
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
no prob bro good luck. ask him which one he would rather have also, if he likes the looks of it and such he will be alot more apt to want to ride all the time and get better as apposed to something he doesnt like. he will get discouraged alot faster and want to give up. steve

finsteratv
02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
i agree with honda400ex2003;)

BakerRacing40
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
i vote blaster. very simple little machines, pretty easy to work on. easy to throw around and power upgrades as he learns and begins needing it. its what i learned on and with as much hell as i've put it through, it's held up great. the only issue i have with it now is from lack of being used in 4 or 5 years..

crappy cell pic from a lil while back..

honda400ex2003
02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
my first clutch machine was a blaster. it is nice to have electric start and reverse also when you are a bit smaller. it makes it easy to move around. as on the 300 though. i started riding a blaster at 11. I knew my boundaries on it though and had been riding other machines since i was 5. If i could get it kicked over i could ride the blaster. i had 2 kicks. if it didnt start in two during the day i couldnt ride for a while since it would start to load up and get harder to kick. lol. it wouldnt be a big deal for a 14 yr old but is still something to consider. steve

kfx400rider03
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
what quad is he on now?
when i was 14 i was on my dads kfx400. and after about a week of me riding it none stop he gave it to me and got him self a new quad.
but i would go with the 300ex. i just never saw a blaster last too long. yes they are fast but the frames on them where like the size of my honda 90 frame with a bigger motor in it. small wheel base. smaller than the 300ex

LTMFB
02-21-2010, 09:35 PM
ya, he's not an aspiring mx racer....never been on a sport quad before...this will be an introduction. He LOVES the looks/sound of the blaster and I LOVE 2 strokes...miss my 250r...

He will also outgrow in a few years and will let my 6 yr old start slowly on it so it'll be in the family for a while...

I realize the 2 strokes are touchier but I wouldn't be boring it out and adding a lot of engine mods....just the basics, pipe, filter, reeds, etc...

Great points about the looks and sound....it will probably come down to the best deal...the blaster has fmf pipe, reeds, k&n...the 300ex has pipe and paddles(2 sets actually, 1 on rims, 1 not)...

Exrider434
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
my 300 is mostly stock and gets it done. i looked at both bikes but with the 300 u dont have to mess with all the stupid mix oil. if i were u get him a 300:D

stock blasters dont run on mix gas, they are oil injected

honda400ex2003
02-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
stock blasters dont run on mix gas, they are oil injected
sounds like he made up his mind. no matter how good the machine or the longevity of it he will go for the better deal, that will be the blaster. it is older, smaller more out dated. the 300 is a 4 valve good performing 45+mpg atv for years and years. it has a ton of potential to be even better with some good porting and polishing. letting it breath will be a good thing for it since it has the old 250 x head on it. this was small ported even for the 250 let along the extra 30 cc to get it to the 300 class. the blaster will get 20-25 mpg and he will add oil every tank. he said oil is not an issue since he had a 250r. he can take the oil pump and stuff off the blaster and mix it himself if he wants. If he is wants it for sand he should get the blaster anyway. he wont mind rebuilding it every few years since pistons are cheap. there is a reason they are cheap. once it starts to get some more upgrades to it, the motor will not last nearly as long as the 300. the 300 has the potential to stomp the blaster with the right setup. it will be a better machine for whoever rides it. the clutch is less touchy, once they start killing it and can press the button to get it started again that will be nice. the blaster will get old kicking every time they pooch it. the blaster will be lighter and better in the sand though since he sounds like it may be used in the sand. all depends on how and what it will be used for. for a quick smaller machine that revs and is more fun in the sand the blaster is the choice. the 300 is a trail cruiser stock. steve

BakerRacing40
02-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
sounds like he made up his mind. no matter how good the machine or the longevity of it he will go for the better deal, that will be the blaster. it is older, smaller more out dated. the 300 is a 4 valve good performing 45+mpg atv for years and years. it has a ton of potential to be even better with some good porting and polishing. letting it breath will be a good thing for it since it has the old 250 x head on it. this was small ported even for the 250 let along the extra 30 cc to get it to the 300 class. the blaster will get 20-25 mpg and he will add oil every tank. he said oil is not an issue since he had a 250r. he can take the oil pump and stuff off the blaster and mix it himself if he wants. If he is wants it for sand he should get the blaster anyway. he wont mind rebuilding it every few years since pistons are cheap. there is a reason they are cheap. once it starts to get some more upgrades to it, the motor will not last nearly as long as the 300. the 300 has the potential to stomp the blaster with the right setup. it will be a better machine for whoever rides it. the clutch is less touchy, once they start killing it and can press the button to get it started again that will be nice. the blaster will get old kicking every time they pooch it. the blaster will be lighter and better in the sand though since he sounds like it may be used in the sand. all depends on how and what it will be used for. for a quick smaller machine that revs and is more fun in the sand the blaster is the choice. the 300 is a trail cruiser stock. steve

kick start only on the blaster encourages proper clutch use and not to stall it. they still start up easy, unless the plug fouled out. the kid sounds to be smaller, so blaster would probably sized right. but have him sit on each and see how it fits him.

look at the suspension up grades available for each.
blaster a arms are a little expensive imo but on the rear oem parts off some of the other yamahas .

300ex- a arms off a 400ex swap right on and i'm sure the axle might swap too

LTMFB
02-21-2010, 10:43 PM
not quite made up yet...but yes, leaning towards the blaster.

The weight difference of the 2 is also playing a large factor...322 vs. 377 that is quite large for a lighter rider like my son...will be easier to flick around.

It will be mostly used in the sand and riding the dirt hills by my mom's house and around here...no real trail riding. I don't want to have to put a lot of $$ into it and don't care about having top of the line bike...something to learn on and have fun!

bens250ex
02-21-2010, 11:12 PM
id say blaster...so much cheaper when it comes to buyin stuff. fun little machines too. better for the dunes too prob.

stuntin andy
02-22-2010, 05:01 AM
some people disagree but blasters brake alot.... the only dislike i have on the 300 is air cooled =\

IcutMetl
02-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Both are great machines; I'm a bit of a Honda guy, but have ridden Blasters and really can't complain too much for what they are. Here are some of the pros and cons that I see:

-Blaster's brakes are cable operated; 300ex hydraulic
-300ex has reverse (somewhat of a pain to use); Blaster does not
-Blaster is 2stroke; cheap to repair and make power out of- reliable when tuned right. 300ex is rock solid 4-cycle; maintained well, you can really put those motors thru hell.
-Blaster is lighter, but smaller. 300ex is definitely heavier, but may be easier to grow into.
-Blaster has kick start; 300ex electric. I'm a kick start guy now, but having electric sure was nice on the 400ex
-I would guess that the fuel economy would be better on the 300ex; if that matters
-Both have been around for a while and have a great used parts availability and aftermarket available

I really don't think you can go wrong either way; go for the best price like you said. I love my 250r; but brands laid aside, would probably pick the 300ex between the two personally if price weren't an issue. Blasters are good, reliable 'wheelers and def. fun to ride, but I think the 300 may be more hassle free. Your son sounds like he's ready for the manual clutch; I'm glad I started out with one. Good luck!!

TGW_400ex
02-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Both are great machines; I'm a bit of a Honda guy, but have ridden Blasters and really can't complain too much for what they are. Here are some of the pros and cons that I see:

-Blaster's brakes are cable operated; 300ex hydraulic
-300ex has reverse (somewhat of a pain to use); Blaster does not
-Blaster is 2stroke; cheap to repair and make power out of- reliable when tuned right. 300ex is rock solid 4-cycle; maintained well, you can really put those motors thru hell.
-Blaster is lighter, but smaller. 300ex is definitely heavier, but may be easier to grow into.
-Blaster has kick start; 300ex electric. I'm a kick start guy now, but having electric sure was nice on the 400ex
-I would guess that the fuel economy would be better on the 300ex; if that matters
-Both have been around for a while and have a great used parts availability and aftermarket available

I really don't think you can go wrong either way; go for the best price like you said. I love my 250r; but brands laid aside, would probably pick the 300ex between the two personally if price weren't an issue. Blasters are good, reliable 'wheelers and def. fun to ride, but I think the 300 may be more hassle free. Your son sounds like he's ready for the manual clutch; I'm glad I started out with one. Good luck!!

04 Blasters have hydraulic rear brake. ;)

MJ2315
02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
I'd say the 300EX - because I had the same dilemma about 12 years ago. At the time, I was the same age as your son. I beat the brains out of the 300ex for years until I was ready to upgrade. That thing just kept going! A few local riding buddys had blasters, which is still not a bad starter bike. I think either way he'll be happy and learn quite a bit! Good luck

Exrider434
02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
04 Blasters have hydraulic rear brake. ;)

actually its got all 3 hydraulic brakes i believe;) ! Major plus if thats the case

IcutMetl
02-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Yep, you guys are right and I should've mentioned that. The newer Blasters finally got hydraulic brakes which would be a big plus for that machine if you're buying that new or newer.

LTMFB
02-22-2010, 05:21 PM
ya, it's a 2004 so it'll have the newer brakes on them...

02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm going to say blaster.

When I got my blaster, that was my first real quad. I didn't know really anything and couldn't ride clutch.

It didn't take me long before I was tearing it up and clutch was second nature.

They're very lightweight, nimble handling quads. Very easy to man-handle and fun to jump. The motor's are very simple and super reliable, probably one of the most reliable two-stroke motors in the industry. Mine never gave me a days problem. I rode it years without ever having to do any work to the engine or rebuild it. And I had the stock oil injection hooked up so I never had to mix gas.

IMHO, it's not such a bad thing to have just kick start and no reverse. It gives them some extra knowledge and to learn the basics. They can hop on an electric start bike with reverse after he's learned to properly kick start a quad and manually turn it around.

I think it's one of the better beginner quads.

LTMFB
02-23-2010, 02:18 PM
so for ****s and giggles...i called the local shop today for a quote on a 08 Raptor 250....$2500....Is that a pretty good deal? And if so, IF.....I can talk the wife into that much more $$$ is it worth it?