PDA

View Full Version : starter?

bigbad400
02-21-2010, 09:26 AM
ok so i had my quad all apart and put it back together with a dif motor and dif starter. on a dif frame. i went to fire it up and the starter rolled and hooked and let loose and it did this several times befor i decided to real quick put the starter off the other motor on thinking the starter went bad, now i hit the botton and the relay clicks. i know this starter was good i bean using it on the 440 for 6 months.

so i switched the relay out with one i had on the 440 and again it only clicks. what is going on here guys any ideas. oh and when i turn my key on the neutral light dont come on and nothing happens when i push the botton, then i hook the battery charger to it and lights on but still only clicks and the battery always reads fully charged.

cheater13
02-21-2010, 09:31 AM
did you try a new battery or new fuses?

bigbad400
02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
the batter was new in the summer. it should be fine and the fuses dont look bad but how would it even get power to click if the fuse was bad? i have a brake light and spall hooled up too and the brake works but the spal dont and i put a new fuse in that and still nothing. maybe a ground. could it just not be getting enough juice to it. idk much about electrics. i managed to do a brake and a fan and thats good enough. now this

coreo5
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
i would check the ground to the frame.

jman7290
02-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Sounds like you have a ground problem. Is your frame painted? Try taking a set of jumper cables and take one lead from one end of the cables and hook it up to one of the mounting bolts for the starter (Make sure not to connect it to the positive post of the starter or you will cause a short), and take the same color lead from the other end of the cables and connect it to the negative side of you battery. Now see if you bike starts. I bet it does. If so run a new wire from the negative post of your battery to one of the mounting bolts of the starter. My buddy had the same problem after he had his frame powder coated and this is how we solved his issue.

05 440 11:1 Big Bore, Hot Cams stage 2, GT Thunder HD studs and HD timing chain, Ported & Polished, Trinity stage 4 full exhaust, Doug Eichner signature series 440 carb with billet spacer plate, AMR stage 3 CDI with Monster Coil, Uni Filter with Pro Design Billet intake adapter and aluminum air box with scoop, over sized aluminum oil tank wih air ports, Elka Elite front shocks with Full Flight +2 A-Arms, LoneStar +3 axcalaber axel with billet twin row bearing carrier, ITP Rims, DG Fat series swing arm skid, DG Pro nerf bars, DG V-Lite front bumper, OMF air scoops, Rox dash panel and hand gaurds, Precision steering stabilizer, Fasst Flex bars, ODI Grips.

bigbad400
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
thanks guys ill give that a shot. the frame i just put together is powder coated orange so that's probably it.

bigbad400
02-26-2010, 08:34 AM
bump. any more ideas guys. i filed the ground connections and it should work now but still nothing.

i didnt try jumper cables but could that still be it since i cleaned the connections?

togup
02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
take the starter off leave the wiring on then ground the starter to the engine ,then try to start it. this sounds stupid but the starter will turn on its own eliminating the possibility of it being in the engine. So far you know you have a good ground next rule out the starter then work from there

riotact
02-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I would check out the solenoid.Just take a screw driver and jump the two terminals with it just like you would do on an old car.Mine did the same thing when we went riding in the snow a few weeks back.When you hit the start button it just clicks or buzzes a little.I had a good battery,fuses,and relay replaced the solenoid and that did it.

jman7290
02-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah, We filed the ground connections with no luck, that is why I told you to take 2 seconds and try the jumper cable thing that I told you about.

After that did the trick we ran a new ground.

bigbad400
02-27-2010, 07:28 AM
ok well the jumper cable idea didnt work on pos or neg terminals. it seems as i have more than one issue since there is nothing when i turn the key on, but when i hook up the charger the neutral light comes on and the tail light comes on. then it just clicks when i push the start button. so basicly i could check my starter by hooking up a set of jumpers to a car battery and one to the post on the starter and one to the ground.

bigbad400
02-28-2010, 08:36 AM
ok so i think maybe i figured it out. well first off i had 3 issues.

first thing is i had a bad starter on the machine. how idk but it doesnt turn over on a bench test. so i tested the other one i have and its good. put it in.... nothing.

second thing, i noticed it wasnt clicking but one time when i pushed the botton. and befor it clicked repeatedly. so i put the charger back on the battery and i got it to roll over 1/2 turn and it started clicking again after a full charge cycle. i removed the battery and it now tests at 7.9 instead of high 12's -13 like it says it should. so the battery is junk. new last year and junk. :mad:

got a spare battery out of the other ex and ploped in only to find out something is wrong with my fan. i flip the switch and i got no fan. im starting to hate wiring. fuse is good and everything. wtf is going on here. i think im going to go back over the whole thing and put another dribble of electrode grease on every connection on the thing. and just so i see every connecting point ill be inspecting as i go.

and i didnt even try the starter yet. ill buy a new battery and post back with some results. im going to try to find some rubber to keep it from moving around in the airbox too. i think it may have touched the aluminum and thats what killed my battery.