PDA

View Full Version : 2000 400ex not starting after rebuild

atc200m
02-20-2010, 10:08 PM
i put my 400ex back together after its been apart for 5 months changing the crank and waiting on powdercoating and when i tried to crank it it ran for 5 seconds then cut off and now it will spin over but wolnt crank it has fire and everything. could it be that the carb sat for 5 months or what

gojk
02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by atc200m
i put my 400ex back together after its been apart for 5 months changing the crank and waiting on powdercoating and when i tried to crank it it ran for 5 seconds then cut off and now it will spin over but wolnt crank it has fire and everything. could it be that the carb sat for 5 months or what

To get this straight....It turns over and you have spark, but it won't fire up?

This could be a number of things, your cam could have jumped time, but the more than likely culprit is the carb. Turn on the gas to the carb and then drain all of the gas in the carb. I would even drain all of the gas in the tank if it has been sitting for a while. After that, turn the gas back on and try again. If it still doesn't fire, try to start by pulling the air filter off and spraying starting fluid into the intake tube. If it doesn't start with starting fluid, you have more problems than fuel.

turbo j
02-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Ya take the valve cover off and check the timing.

What has also happened to me before is I put a quad back together with a totally dry gas tank and put just a little gas in it then turn the petcock to the on position. Well there isn't enough gas to flow when its on but it will on reserve. Make sure you have enough gas in it. You could also spray a little starting fluid in the carb as it is cranking to see if it will fire.

440exhondaman99
03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
wont hurt to try cleaning the carb first... but sounds like timming... put you motor at TDC and cam lobes down with timing mark on cam staight up and down not straight up and down with motor.. the motor sits on the a slight angle so make shure your time mark is straight up and down with cam lobes down and try it