PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Advance Ignition Key?

99exrider
02-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Just wondering if someone can give me a quick explanation on the pro's and cons of running this in a stock 99 400ex.

Will it hamper the engine durability? cause heating issues?

Also, I was reading about "monster coils" (basically an upgrade that gives more spark, and a better burn on the fuel) and if they can be used in conjunction with the key.

Im just trying to compile a list of cheap "bang for your buck" upgrades to do while keeping out of the core engine.

Dont know if its important to note, but I already run a Big Gun full exhaust, K&N filter with outerwears and no lid, and my father jetted it (still stock carb, yes I know that I need to get the 450r soon :devil: )

edit: I was also wondering If I should adjust the gearing, it hasnt been touched.

Forest
02-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I would go with the key and the sparks cdi whatever they call it... u can get them both for under $150 and sparks says if u use then together its a potent combo... most of the time u will get what you pay for... but both of these mods wil give you some extra boost.... as far as other cheap things to do... if you go cheap on an exhaust your not going to reap maximum benefits.... get a bigger jet and a good exhaust (SPARKS) and a new filter... take your lid off or get an outerwear lid cover or something like it... maybe knN or something...

bigbad400
02-21-2010, 07:53 AM
dont waste your money on a cdi unless your 400 is still making power at 9500 rpm. they dont. they make most of the power in the lower range. a monster coil is good idea, they work with the sparks key.

Ryan'07400ex
02-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Forest
I would go with the key and the sparks cdi whatever they call it... u can get them both for under $150 and sparks says if u use then together its a potent combo... most of the time u will get what you pay for... but both of these mods wil give you some extra boost.... as far as other cheap things to do... if you go cheap on an exhaust your not going to reap maximum benefits.... get a bigger jet and a good exhaust (SPARKS) and a new filter... take your lid off or get an outerwear lid cover or something like it... maybe knN or something...

Yea Sparks says if you use them together its potent combo... duh they want to make money.

And the Big gun exhaust is fine. I can't even tell a difference between my slip on HMF and a Full Sparks system except the sound and that I saved 250 bucks.

K&Ns lid is 100 bucks make your own with a 17 dollar outerwear.

Sure sprockets are cheap, just decide if you want more speed or more acceleration.

H400DAN2004
02-21-2010, 01:32 PM
is it hard to install a parks key?

Viktor_trx400
02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
In most popular threads has the answer. victor

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410964

H400DAN2004
02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Viktor_trx400
In most popular threads has the answer. victor

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=410964

thank you sir

99exrider
02-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
dont waste your money on a cdi unless your 400 is still making power at 9500 rpm. they dont. they make most of the power in the lower range. a monster coil is good idea, they work with the sparks key.

Well, considering I primarily ride in the dunes, I would go with acceleration. I like to race everyone else on the hillclimbs, so wouldnt that be most beneficial? (its about 1/8th more or less)

if so what would be the best setup?

H400DAN2004
02-21-2010, 06:18 PM
from reading that sparks key install thread i saw there are 2 kinds of keys. which one is better to get? there both +6 but one you have to turn something and another key you just install. i really did not understand it

honda400ex2003
02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
both of them you have to turn the flywheel. that is what advances the timing. the other one that you are seeing is most likely the +3 degree instead of the +6 degree key. i think wheelie made a few of the 3's that he may still have left if you are interested in that one. for a stock machine i would get the 6 it comes with a flywheel puller also when you get it from sparks. Get a gasket for the left side when you do it. other than that you will be good to go. make sure you turn the flywheel CCW or toward the front. the key should have the slot facing the back since you want the wheel to lock into it once it goes CCW all the way. steve

H400DAN2004
02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
i want to do this so bad but im afraid to. dammit.

honda400ex2003
02-21-2010, 07:15 PM
it isnt bad to do. it wont take over an hour start to finish. the longest part of doing it will be scraping the old gasket off clean and putting the new one on. fire up your impact to run the puller in and it will pop it right off. take the stock key out put the other one in, slide the flywheel back on, turn it to the left, hold it there and tighten it down. no biggy and nothing to be scared of. if you can take your carb off and put it back together then you can do this. it is that easy. i have faith in you, and we are here in case something does happen. steve

H400DAN2004
02-21-2010, 07:20 PM
HA thanks steve. you been a big help to my project. turning the flywheel though with the key is there a certain amount it needs to go or no. i saw he had a micrometer in them pics.

honda400ex2003
02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
you will feel it stop once it hits the edge of the key. once there make sure it stays when you tighten it down. I think the micrometer was measuring the +4 and +3 degree to show the differences. I am not quite sure which pics you were looking at. lol. steve