PDA

View Full Version : Brand New 'o8 outlaw 525 irs ???

albertanOutlaw
02-20-2010, 08:27 PM
so i finally bought my outlaw 525 irs and have about 12 hours on the brand new engine. but the thing that stumped me is that on the 3 day of riding it the little site glass for the oil shower it was at about 1/4 full. so i topped it up and off i went. i would stop and look and it would be fine but then the next day it was down again so i added some more and then after riding it it seems like more oil was in there then i added. the level rose more.

has anyone had this problem ? the quad runs fine.
should i just do an oil change / filter change and then see?
any one ???

birdman7389
02-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by albertanOutlaw
so i finally bought my outlaw 525 irs and have about 12 hours on the brand new engine. but the thing that stumped me is that on the 3 day of riding it the little site glass for the oil shower it was at about 1/4 full. so i topped it up and off i went. i would stop and look and it would be fine but then the next day it was down again so i added some more and then after riding it it seems like more oil was in there then i added. the level rose more.

has anyone had this problem ? the quad runs fine.
should i just do an oil change / filter change and then see?
any one ???

I've done hours of searching, and it pretty much comes down to this:

The design of the cases and oiling system makes it pretty much impossible to get an accurate reading through the sight glass.

The only real way to know how much oil you have, is to measure it as you put it in, everything after that is a guess. It sucks.

TYLER329
02-21-2010, 08:47 PM
The best way to check the oil is to check it the same way everytime. Always check it on a flat piece of ground. I personally will start the bike up and let it warm up for about 10 minutes and then shut if off and check the oil after it has been off for about 5 minutes. This seems to be about the most accurate. I usually have the oil 3/4 of the way up the sight glass. If you completely fill the sight glass the motor will run hot.

albertanOutlaw
03-03-2010, 08:27 PM
alright guys i got her all figured out.
did an oil change are she runs like a charm. thanks

Zac808
03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I use exactly 54 oz. each time. I never check the sight glass becasue of the innaccuracy with these motors. I just look for any sign of leaks on my pre-ride.

gen3usa
03-08-2010, 11:17 PM
one thing, dont run it to the top of the site glass, users have found that if you run the oil just a bit under half the site glass you will have better shifting performance, having problems with finding N, this will correct it too!