PDA

View Full Version : why clutch in 400ex dry?

03'400exrider
02-20-2010, 06:30 PM
I have a 400ex and have been having clutch problems. My last two clutches have started slipping within only a couple hours of riding. When I take the clutch apart the clutches are dry. However, the bike has always had the proper amount of oil and all of the hoses are not clogged. Why would the clutches be very dry? How do I fix my problem?

F-16Guy
02-20-2010, 07:20 PM
You need to soak the clutch fibers in new motor oil (conventional, not synthetic) overnight. After they've soaked, install the clutch plates, add 1.5 qts of oil, start the quad and let it warm up for a few minutes, and then add the final half quart. (oil amounts are assuming that you've drained the oil tank, the case, and changed the filter.)

Forest
02-20-2010, 10:25 PM
the clutch plates arent going to be covered in oil when you take them apart.... esp if you have drained the oil out of your tank......... if your clutch isnt working properly you might have a problem with your lever and adjustment.... or your using synthetic oil..... big no no....... my clutch was slipping on me once after i put new plates in...... low and behold... my perch was adjusted incorectly and it wasnt fully releasing....

dobber21
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
y cant u use synthetiic i usesd it in mine and it worked fine as long as its wet clutch compatible it doesnt matter.

dobber21
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
y cant u use synthetiic i usesd it in mine and it worked fine as long as its wet clutch compatible it doesnt matter.

omeeomy
02-21-2010, 08:52 AM
idk whats up with synthetic i run amsoil for wet clutches and it works fine

bigbad400
02-21-2010, 09:36 AM
synthetic oil is fine, you just have to make sure its wet clutch approved. i use mobile one full synthetic on everything i own. 20w50 on the 400 thow. maybe your using the wrong viscosity too. but if you install new fibers you need to soak them in oil for a good 4 hrs at min befor you install. overnight is best. and conventional oil for soaking the clutches it soaks in better and get them biting good faster. make sure like they said your clutch lever needs some play in it or your slipping clutch is due to it not being loose enough. i believe this issue is in the oil thow you prolly never soaked them and they burned right up. or your oils too thin and they burned up. something aint right.

F-16Guy
02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
A good rule of thumb is to slide a nickel between the perch and the clutch lever next to the cable. There should be at least a nickel's worth of play.