PDA

View Full Version : Need QUICK minor electrical help with an 02 EX

rhinomxer
02-20-2010, 08:41 AM
SO I gotta fix a friends wheeler. I used to be really big into EX's and built a few of them. So, I know a good bit about this preticular wheeler, but I cant figure out why this thing wont roll over.

Story:

He tore took the engine out to put new rings in, got in over his head a bit, and threw it back together.

It all looks ok, but the starter button will NOT roll the engine over at all.

If you touch the 2 posts on the solenoid together, the engine will roll over, but that obviously results in a little 12v welding :eek2:

He did not mess with any electrical stuff between the bars and solenoid. He onlt took out the battery and the electronics right near it. Wires are not cut, etc. He got a new solenoid to try, and same issue. Why wont the starter button make the engine roll? He needs this done today as he wants to sell it and has someone interested. Any thoughts at all?

Thanks.

jasonwayne222
02-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Did you check the fuse. also throw a multi meter on there and make sure you are gettin power to the solenoid when u hit the starter button, if u dont then you need to trace it back to the switch and make sure your starter switch isnt bad

rhinomxer
02-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Fuse is good, put a new one in to be sure.

Also gonna take a multi-meter with me and check to see where power ends. Gonna head out pretty soon. There more ideas the better, i'll check back in a bit. Thank you!

jasonwayne222
02-20-2010, 09:24 AM
and does it click or do anything when u hit the starter switch, because i had a bad battery a while back and it wouldnt make a noise or click or nothing it was so weak, it would jump it with a jumper to the solenoid like what u did but it was just a bad battery, take it out and have it tested.

rhinomxer
02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Batt is good, thought of that. Thanks though. Any other thoughts?

JOHNDOE83
02-20-2010, 01:46 PM
It could be the switch or a broken or barley connected wire, my best guess is there a reversed wire connection.....

Double check everything again, if it works when you hot start the solenoid, that means its in the wiring in between.

QuadManiac
02-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Try pulling the clutch while starting - does it crank? If so, he needs to reconnect the neutral switch wire.