PDA

View Full Version : 400ex xc set-up/woods bike

Smithykid14
02-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey guys my dad made me a deal and i held up my end of the bargin. So i will be getting a 400 in 2-3 months. I will be riding this bike in open areas, woods, tight trails, and i would like to keep the bike as light as possible for some speed. What Modds would you guys suggest for my riding? The motor is staying stock bc i don't want to be going through head gaskets, rings, pistons ect. I was going to get a new bumper, hand guards, and maybe some nerf bars. Anything else?

honda400ex2003
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
better tires, steering stabilizer, bars would be nice to maybe, wider arms +1s, axle, shocks for sure with arms. other than that nothing really it is a great woods machine. steve

Smithykid14
02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
what kind of shocks would you suggest buying aftermarket, or 450r shocks and getting them revalved? And what brand if After M.

honda400ex2003
02-19-2010, 10:33 PM
if i was going to get shocks and had the extra $$ laying around lol, i would have a set of elkas i like them. axis are nice, peps, fox, all of them are really nice. for the best bang for your buck i would get some 450 shocks and get them revalved if you like depending on if you like them a bit stiffer or not or get arms. with wider arms they are not as stiff since there is more leverage on them. that is my .02 steve

Smithykid14
02-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Alright so Long travel shocks +1 in width, 450r shocks revalved for my weight and steering stabilizer. Thanks man. How difficult is it to install the Steering stabilizer? I think im ganna wait for the 450 shocks. haha. Can you stil use the stock handle bars with it?

honda400ex2003
02-19-2010, 10:58 PM
long travel arms are different than standard travel. if you want to rund long travel you will need to get after market shocks. the shocks are longer for the extra. ST will work with 450 shocks though. you would want ST +1 with 450 shocks and an axle to match. g force is good along with lonestar, and a couple of theres. i would suggest to stay away from durablue. the stabilizer just mounts to the stem and to the frame at the bottom. do a search on CNC stabilizer and you will find the one that most of the guys on here recommend. bars will not be affected by a stabilizer, they just help to reduce the vibrations in the bars, you could run an aftermarket anti vib stem, rox bars, rox mounts or anything to help reduce the vibration. it isnt that bad anyway though. steve

honda400ex2003
02-19-2010, 11:00 PM
you can do some reading to find out what each of those does and how it makes a difference to your machine. lol. there is lots of good stuff you find when searching along with reading the stickies at the top. there is good tuning tips, installs for the 450 shocks, kill switches and everything up there. after reading all of that you will be set. lol. welcome to the site also. steve

bigbad400
02-20-2010, 07:06 AM
new rider on a stock machine.... id say nerf bars and shocks are very inportant. i sold a set of elkas to buy 450r shocks you will like them. lol

as for other stuff you will probably find you want better tires. the stockers suck.

for 210 shipped you can have a steering stabilizer too. thats my next step after 450 shock spring kit.

as for the motor you could add a cam relatively cheap and you wont touch the head gasket. also you could do a sparks timing key without too much getting into the motor.

as for the rear end the g force axle is by far the cheapest. but yet very good quality, i have no complaints after 2 years on mine.

Smithykid14
02-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the help and support, I can't wait to go pick it up at the dealer. 4,000 out the door for a left over '07. Im so ready to go out and ride when spring comes! =]

Foxhound013
02-20-2010, 10:54 AM
If your going to get a steering stabilizer, which most everyone reccomends doing, get a CCP steering stabilizer. Search for CNC stabilizer for an awesome and fairly cheap one. If you buy the stabilizer straight through him its cheaper it costed me 160 shipped, so in my opinion I wouldn't get it through ebay. Its just a whole lot cheaper to get it through him directly. Also the 450 shocks are a really good idea too. Thats what i'm working on getting right now.