PDA

View Full Version : gthunder rear shock failure?

nskukalek79
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Has anyone had experience with a stock shock being rebuilt by gthunder then breaking appart after a year or two if riding?

I know of this happening twice in my area and both resulted in wrecks and one even died at the track from breaking his neck after the quad nose dived into a face of a jump.

rooster300ex
02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
The shock made it nose dive?

nskukalek79
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
ya, the shock snapped right before a jump and it caused it to buck up right on the take off since there was no shock to dampen the jump...and he came about 6 ft short and went over the bars.

it acted like there was no shock at all when it broke, the whole quad just fell ontop of the swingarm, it was the lowest quad i've ever seen after we loaded it onto the trailer lol ...but this kid was fine, just some scratches and a black eye

nick15
02-21-2010, 07:48 PM
hey man this sounds awfully familar i had a gt thunder rebuilt shock on my 08 trx 450r with his linkage on it the shock shaft snapped in half while i was racing in a double double section causing my chain to fall off and for me to go end over threw the section and messed myself up pretty good since i live in ohio I took it back down to him he said it was the factory parts that failed but i didnt beleive it i mean he was the last one that had it apart and personally that setup is junk and ill never ride it again better off leaving it stock then running that and my shock was only couple months old i figured i was not the only one that had this happen to him

Smoker
02-21-2010, 11:57 PM
It is just the factory shock shaft when they rebuild/revalve them. There is the possibility that since it performs better due to the revalve that it pushes the limits of the stock shaft. If the wimpy factory shock is now working well and not bottoming out, that force has to be going somewhere? I've seen other shock manufacturers shock shafts break from abuse and a big factor was improper maintenance (shocks are beat to hell and not rebuilt often enough or inspected). This is a big reason some of the aftermarket manufacturers use a 5/8" shock shaft.

I don't have GT Thunder revalves but know a lot of people are happy with there stuff and I suspect that you were happy with the performance of the shock Nick15, before it failed, so calling his stuff junk is dumb. I could see if there was some sort of failure due to the rebuild but the shaft snapping, c'mon?

It sucks when people get hurt or even worse killed but stuff happens a lot of times due to improper maintenance. I've gotten jacked up because of a broken balljoint, which they were just wore, should I call Houser and tell them there stuff is junk because I didn't pay attention to the wear of the balljoint?

Quadforce
02-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Smoker
It is just the factory shock shaft when they rebuild/revalve them. There is the possibility that since it performs better due to the revalve that it pushes the limits of the stock shaft. If the wimpy factory shock is now working well and not bottoming out, that force has to be going somewhere? I've seen other shock manufacturers shock shafts break from abuse and a big factor was improper maintenance (shocks are beat to hell and not rebuilt often enough or inspected). This is a big reason some of the aftermarket manufacturers use a 5/8" shock shaft.

I don't have GT Thunder revalves but know a lot of people are happy with there stuff and I suspect that you were happy with the performance of the shock Nick15, before it failed, so calling his stuff junk is dumb. I could see if there was some sort of failure due to the rebuild but the shaft snapping, c'mon?

It sucks when people get hurt or even worse killed but stuff happens a lot of times due to improper maintenance. I've gotten jacked up because of a broken balljoint, which they were just wore, should I call Houser and tell them there stuff is junk because I didn't pay attention to the wear of the balljoint?

well written post ^^^^

nskukalek79
02-22-2010, 07:05 AM
I agree with you smoker, i started this thread looking for about how long the shock will last. I'm sending my shocks out to get revalved by gthunder today. I'm thinking i'll have them sent in and inspected once a year just to give me a better chance of finding a problem before it happens. And i never thought about where all the force goes after it's rebuilt, i like your point.

dustin_j
02-22-2010, 08:35 AM
You should get your shock's oil changed at least once a year, probably more if your race often. Stock shocks are able to last longer on oil changes because the damping often does less work; that's why they feel springy (think stock 400ex). Revalved shocks work the oil more; therefore, it breaks down faster and can no longer dampen as effectively, resulting in increased wear and possibility of breakage.

Flynbryan19
02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I've had a stock rebuilt GT Thunder shock on my quad for 4yrs now..... Zero problems.

nick15
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
As i stated in my post my shock was pratically brand new when I sent it to him meaning i bought the bike brand new and sent him that rear shock. I wouldnt say it was beat on or needed maitenace maybe had a month or two on it and no i was never really happy with the shock rebuild from day 1 it did not act or perform really any different then the stocker and had a horrible buck to it i had even payed extra for the high flow piston and his link. I would say that there was a failure do to the rebuild he replaced the inner parts hence the rebuild and the shock shaft broke cause of the rebuild this all happened no later then a month after the rebuild so to assume it was improper maitenance is false considering that this seems to have not been just my gt thunder shock but others I would say that there is a problem here. When I say junk im comparing it to the podium and elka I have on my bikes now which is not fair comparison but it is junk compared to them. My advice save your money and just get a better shock the fact remains that when revalving your stock shocks wether its gt thunder or another company all u are doing is polishing a terd and i had to learn that lesson the hard way.By the way i have a GT thunder link for sale if any one is interested.

airmobile101
02-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I wouldnt say it was beat on or needed maitenace maybe had a month or two on it and no i was never really happy with the shock rebuild from day 1 it did not act or perform really any different then the stocker and had a horrible buck to it i had even payed extra for the high flow piston and his link.

If that was the case, you should have sent it back! Why pay for a a service and get nothing in return. Send it back to GTT.

nick15
02-22-2010, 10:20 PM
looking back on it now yah i could have done that but say i did send it in get it back put it on (it may have not snapped in half) no matter how u look at it it is still a stock shock wether it performs better or worse and I realized all u are doing when revalving shocks is taking something below average and making it average and some people may not have a problem with that and thats fine i guess i was just expecting a little more i guess its like everything in this sport another classic case of u get what u pay for

fastredrider44
02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I have had stock rebuilds in the past, and at the end of the day, they're still a stock shock. I had a rear shock fail and it broke the clevis from the shaft. My fourwheeler was trashed and I had to go to the hospital. That's not saying that they're all going to break, but it is a lot of stress on a factory shock.

02-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Well I was all for GTT until reading this lol Thats scary for something like that to happen

fastredrider44
02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
It is scary, but I'm still running a GT rear revalve. Stuff breaks. That's part of it.

racer 557
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
It is scary, but I'm still running a GT rear revalve. Stuff breaks. That's part of it.

wouldnt be racing if it didnt!! any racing to

airmobile101
02-25-2010, 12:47 AM
I think the MX racer has more to worry about that more than a XC racer. I run a revalved Race-tech for XC and have zero issues with it. Actually, I will go on record and say it performs better than my Custom Axis dual rate that I had on my DVX400 W/ Houser setup. Granted, its a 450r with Dirtworks link, but its plush as chit. JMO

ratso
02-26-2010, 11:47 AM
After reading all the posts here and other atv chat boards I sent my shocks to GT. I found very few riders that were not happy. Most of the feed back was 95% positive.

Laz Sommers designed the swingarm linkage long before anyone else. He has been in the industry for over 20 years.

nskukalek79
02-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I also just sent out all three of my stock shocks...i hope they are amazing :D

ricksmx865
02-27-2010, 06:41 AM
same thing happened to my rear but im convinced it was my fault... i knew it was on its last leg anyway and needed a rebuild but decided on "one more race" before i sent it out

KILLAQuad
03-09-2010, 02:54 PM
i have been running gtt products on everything i have for 6 yrs now and not one single failure ...

I think it sounds like stories getting crossed like in a game of telephone ....

Just last year did i switch to his Custom shocks .... But everything other than that was stock rebuilds ... I also had 8 quads in that time period with numours shock set ups for them all ...

As far as the shock breaking i am going to have to say it was from a lack of maintance .... when you get a shock rebuilt like the stock shocks you can beat on them WAY HARDER than you could when they were stock as they handle better ... also, seeing as how the inside of the shock tube is not coated yet just plain aluminum, you have to rebuild them to get fresh oil in the and new seals and what not at MINIMUM every year ...

I also know of many MANY Stock shocks out on the XC circut that are getting beat on harder than anyone siting behind there computer screen every could and they are blowing away multi thousand dollar set ups ...

If you run the stock rebuilds for 5 yrs and never have them reserviced then you might as well never change your oil in your quad either ... Thats pretty much the same thing ...

:macho

fastredrider44
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by KILLAQuad

As far as the shock breaking i am going to have to say it was from a lack of maintance .... when you get a shock rebuilt like the stock shocks you can beat on them WAY HARDER than you could when they were stock as they handle better ...

Not lack of maintenance on my part. I always serviced them every 6 races. But breaking the bottom part of the shock off isn't something maintence would matter to. The threads just pulled out. After that is when I bought that rebuild from you, which has been working alright, but I am now in need of upgrading. It's too soft, and I have actually lost weight. :macho

ricks450
03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
my experiance with gt thunder. I put there xc link on a 06 stock 400ex stock swing arm and shock. it was fine until u picked the bike n the air. (so if you jumped ur bike). the spring hit the swing arm putting a slight bow on the shock shaft (putting pressure on it). called gt thunder told them. they never herd of this b4.??? so i got there mx link. put that on and did the same thing. so i turn the spring so the swing arm would go in between the spring coil (if that make any sence 2 u guys). and it still hit. but not as bad. if u guys go and pick ur bikes up you will c were the spring gets close 2 the swing arm and thats where it was hitting. that might be the problem. (not sure though). 4 all the guys on here that r going 2 say it wasnt put on right. this isnt my first rodeo it was installed CORRECT. cant speck 4 there rebuilds but the link will not go on none of my bikes. i put it on 1 of my buddys 400ex's. but he dont ride that hard so he will probably ok. i posted this a while back with pics showin this problem.

dustin_j
03-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by ricks450
my experiance with gt thunder. I put there xc link on a 06 stock 400ex stock swing arm and shock. it was fine until u picked the bike n the air. (so if you jumped ur bike). the spring hit the swing arm putting a slight bow on the shock shaft (putting pressure on it). called gt thunder told them. they never herd of this b4.??? so i got there mx link. put that on and did the same thing. so i turn the spring so the swing arm would go in between the spring coil (if that make any sence 2 u guys). and it still hit. but not as bad. if u guys go and pick ur bikes up you will c were the spring gets close 2 the swing arm and thats where it was hitting. that might be the problem. (not sure though). 4 all the guys on here that r going 2 say it wasnt put on right. this isnt my first rodeo it was installed CORRECT. cant speck 4 there rebuilds but the link will not go on none of my bikes. i put it on 1 of my buddys 400ex's. but he dont ride that hard so he will probably ok. i posted this a while back with pics showin this problem.

I assume you mean it angled the shaft with respect to the shock body, not bowed the shaft? Are you sure it didn't just bend/bow the spring? My spring contacts like you're saying, but it isn't significant enough to affect the shaft or life of the shock. How much preload was on your spring? Maybe if you had a lot of preload and your spring hit it might affect your shaft.

ricks450
03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
naw, man it actually flexed the shaft bowed how ever u want 2 say it. it didnt do it enough 2 actually put a permanent bend n it but would premature wear the shock seals and maybe cause some oyher problems . u could c it bend. if u looked right where the shaft went into the cylinder body what ever u 2 call it. u could c where it put pressure on 1 side. i watched it as my buddy lifted it up. i thought it was crazy. because there is a lot of guys on here that talked very highly of them. thats y i told my buddy about them. but it did make it ride and handle alot better. JMO i would like my shock 2 clear everything.

A A R O N
03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
MAINTAINENCE MAINTAINENCE MAINTAINENCE!!!!

It is absolutely correct that even with the highest levels of maintainence, parts WILL fail, regardless of whether they are stock or aftermarket. Some people will argue aftermarket is better, and others may say stock takes the cake. Personally, there are things in my motor and certain bearings, as well as other hard parts on my race bikes that will always be replaced with OEM. Other parts, not so much.

One year on any shock is ridiculous if you are racing it. I just serviced my shocks on my race bike after 4 hours of ride time and the oil tas trashed. I realize, 2 of those hours was absolutely brutal brutal terrain and that is responsible for most of it but going a year on any shocks is just asking for trouble if you are out there pounding out laps at the track very often or in the woods getting burried in water and mud. If you wait lengthy periods of time to service your quads mechanical parts like the motor, shocks, arms, etc etc... JUST EXPECT PROBLEMS. Even with proper care, your quad will fall apart. ...unless its a polaris. then it will fall apart on its own, even without being ridden :D

...and for fitment issues of aftermarket parts from any company.... The only advice i would have is that if nobody else has the same problem or not as severe of a problem, make sure your quad is worthy in all other aspects. When chassis companies, etc build or design aftermarket parts, for the most part, they are using a brand new quad. That quad has never been ridden, there is no play in any of the bearings, nothing is tweaked or bent out of place, etc. It is an absolute gem. Over time, your quad will run into issues like this, and in some cases this could cause premature wear on other parts or cause parts not to fit or work correctly.

Just keep the whole picture in mind and make sure everything is in line before deciding whether any parts are faulty.