PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work in the oil and gas fields?

Quad18star
02-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Mining in my area is taking a real hit and we've been thinking about packing up and heading west to the oil and gas fields ... either Saskatchewan or Alberta .

Any of you guys work in any of the oil fields down in the south? How do you like it? Trying to get a feel for how some of you guys like it.

BakerRacing40
02-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Just depends on what area your wanting to go into. Drilling rig, pulling units, pipe lining, transports, roustabout work, etc .. I've been in and out of the oil patch since I was a kid.

Quad18star
02-19-2010, 12:21 AM
I applied for one job ... it didn't have much of a description as to what the job entailed or what the position was called ... they just had a list of requirements .. certain class of drivers license, ability to lift and pull certain weight and so on . I sent them my resume hoping I'd get a call back just to see WTF the job is really . LOL Kinda seemed like an entry style position within the gas fields.

Another one I've been looking at is a Process Operator (Gas plant operator / field operator) . Some of the companies are requiring certificates while others are saying they'll pay for the training. From what I've been reading it's also another entry level job in the industry with a pretty good starting wage ( between $25-$45 an hour.

BakerRacing40
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
just remember your probably going to be out in the elements year round. also look at the company's safety history. i wonder what the actual position is though?

hendershot106
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
i am a mechanical engineer...but i work in wv for East Resources as a petroleum engineer.

If you are thinking of relocation you may consider the Pa,NY, WV areas for the development of the Marcellus Shale Plays in these areas.... MANY MANY Service Companies are probably hiring for alot of positions...just research some companies in wv, pa etc... BJ services hires alot.... Check out companies like BJ, weatherford, Chesapeake, Dominion, Schlumberger, and then do searches for drilling contractors... you can almost always find rig hand jobs in wv and pa.... most start out around 15 bucks an hour....

hendershot106
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I applied for one job ... it didn't have much of a description as to what the job entailed or what the position was called ... they just had a list of requirements .. certain class of drivers license, ability to lift and pull certain weight and so on . I sent them my resume hoping I'd get a call back just to see WTF the job is really . LOL Kinda seemed like an entry style position within the gas fields.

Another one I've been looking at is a Process Operator (Gas plant operator / field operator) . Some of the companies are requiring certificates while others are saying they'll pay for the training. From what I've been reading it's also another entry level job in the industry with a pretty good starting wage ( between $25-$45 an hour.

That is a job that is most likely to cover maintenance and operation of a Gas Compression Plant and pipeline system.... More than likely it would be an ONCALL 24/7 job in event of a shutdown or pipeline emergency to maintain compression and salesline transportation of natural gas. (Thats about what it would be in any company in wv)

Quad18star
02-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
just remember your probably going to be out in the elements year round. also look at the company's safety history. i wonder what the actual position is though?

I'm curious also , maybe they'll call me .

I don't really mind the elements ... it's something I've dealt with all my life.Also I know one of the companies is a very reputable company so it's safety records are top notch.

Hendershot106 , thanks for the suggestions , but I'll be relocating in Canada ... too much of a hassle to get a work visa and all the paper work to be able to take a permanent job in the USA.

Basically I'm hoping that one of these jobs will help open the doors to other mining jobs for the oil sands. I have my Civil and Mining Engineering stuff from college , but have only dealt with Hard Rock Mining . I want to learn the oil and gas fields side of things.

fasterblaster09
02-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Is the oilfield paying good up there? down here in Louisiana, I know of two companies hiring for sure. One is pretty well known and reputable and is starting at 18/hour, which will come out to about $1900/week. That's not counting per diem(sp?), which can be anywheres from $30-$100 a day. Not bad for only working 50% of the year

jcv400ex
02-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Greg,

It's tough work on a drilling rig. Moving, spudding in, drilling, then pulling rods and doing it all over again....Well tender is about the best job in that line of work! Especially if they're electric pumps!

yam450_53
02-20-2010, 10:36 AM
My father is currently working on the oil fields close to Edmonton. He's a pipefitter, says the job isn't very hard physically, and the pay is very good. If you have your degree in both of the engineering fields that you named you won't have any trouble finding a job over there I believe, and there's work all year round.

Right now he is at about 50$/h, and he always has his weekends off, not too shabby if you ask me. Lots of opportunities over there. Fasterblaster, how do you figure you'll sum at 1900 a week at 18 per hour? you'd have to work 105 hours to match that amount.

fasterblaster09
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
7 days x 12 hours per day = 84 hours per week

40 hours x $18 = $720

the other 44 hours is overtime so 44 hours x $27 = $1188

$1188 + $720 = $1908

The most common work time here is 7&7 (7 days on 7 days off), but they also have 14 &14 or 14&7, or 28 & 28. Or if you're on call, which is what you are when you do wirelining, you get paid around the clock, 24 hours a day the whole time you're there. So sometimes you will be out for 21 days getting paid 24-7 the WHOLE time, which is big bank lol

yam450_53
02-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Oh ok, my bad.

Quad18star
02-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by yam450_53
My father is currently working on the oil fields close to Edmonton. He's a pipefitter, says the job isn't very hard physically, and the pay is very good. If you have your degree in both of the engineering fields that you named you won't have any trouble finding a job over there I believe, and there's work all year round.

Right now he is at about 50$/h, and he always has his weekends off, not too shabby if you ask me. Lots of opportunities over there. Fasterblaster, how do you figure you'll sum at 1900 a week at 18 per hour? you'd have to work 105 hours to match that amount.

I'm not really worried about getting a job ... more worried if I'm actually going to enjoy the job . LOL

I'll just have to wait and see . I've got a trip in the works to go to Alberta ... check out the province and see if we like it .

Jackley450
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I live in Athens PA and there is tons of work up here i have been working 80 plus hours a week and there are lots of job opportunities if you are willing to relocate

dpizz450
02-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
Is the oilfield paying good up there? down here in Louisiana, I know of two companies hiring for sure. One is pretty well known and reputable and is starting at 18/hour, which will come out to about $1900/week. That's not counting per diem(sp?), which can be anywheres from $30-$100 a day. Not bad for only working 50% of the year

What companys and plants are you referring to about two jobs? Just curious.

fasterblaster09
02-24-2010, 05:49 AM
precision drilling (greywolf) I was told was hiring, and Guichards is hiring. My brother in law works for them, everyone on the rig is all "crack out", including the driller and the tool pusher. He said he has to watch what the driller is doing becasue more than one occasion he had to take over because he was about to destroy the rig with everyone on it. I don't think i'll be going to a company that lets jsut anyone work for them, as long as they are getting their money..

drtracer27
02-24-2010, 07:25 AM
The Marcellus in Pa is killing the jobs for Pa residents. If you work in the gas field and are from Texas then there is a good chance you are in Pa right now. We kinda thought something was up when they started buying all of the companies up here.

sexysilverado45
02-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
Greg,

It's tough work on a drilling rig. Moving, spudding in, drilling, then pulling rods and doing it all over again....Well tender is about the best job in that line of work! Especially if they're electric pumps!

Man you have it easy I worked in the same position but with motors that ran off natural gas it is a p.I.t.a especially having to start on average 3 wells a day if not more and just the up keep it takes to keep them going.

I would love to work on a drilling rig throwing tongs but farming is more important to me.