PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment help PLEASEE

v0lcom13sn0w
02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
okay so long story short my bike has the 6 degree timing advance from sparks racing im trying to do a valve adjustment. i did it and the valves still tick so i did it again and the valves still tick... i know i had to find TDC compression stroke by only turning the motor counter clockwise and the T mark isnt going to be aligned perfectly because of my sparks key so i put a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and made sure it was at TDC. has anyone done a valve adjustment with the sparks key in? if so lemme know what you did or how you did your valve adjustment or whatever. thanksss

Rootar
02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
ive had 5 different 400exs and to let you in on a little something, they all tick.... they are just loud

400exs are notorious for having a loud valve train

so nothing to worry about, if you are conifident that you set your valves correctly then dont worry about it.

out of curiosity what are you setting them to?

mineralgrey01gt
02-18-2010, 09:15 PM
mine tick loud in my 400ex, really loud, thought something was wrong with it till i talked to people that own them

clemsonteg
02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
ive had 5 different 400exs and to let you in on a little something, they all tick.... they are just loud

400exs are notorious for having a loud valve train

so nothing to worry about, if you are conifident that you set your valves correctly then dont worry about it.

out of curiosity what are you setting them to?

Every honda motor ever, quad or car, ticks like crazy. I guess driving honda cars for so long I just got used to the sound.

v0lcom13sn0w
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM
i am setting them to: exhaust .005inch intake. .004inch

thanks guys. it just irritates me because my friends 400ex does not tick at all after we did his valve adjustment like 10 minutes before i did mine

MtnEX
02-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, there is one last possibility...

Are you "SURE" you are setting them at TDC on the right stroke?

If you are not sure, here is how to find out...

Get it on TDC... then mess with all your rockers.
They should all have a little play... the same amount.

If one is firm, turn over once more to TDC and check again.

It's actually sort of hard to get mine to stop at TDC on the right stroke. It wants to spin right over past it naturally.... So I have to turn mine over slowly while also holding a firm grip on the socket to keep it from passing.

And one final possibility since I am thinking about that part.... you also cannot "back up" to TDC if you have passed it and get the valves set right.

Rootar
02-19-2010, 06:54 AM
are you two using different oil? i noticed mine become quiter when i quit using 10-40 castrol and started using rotella 15-40 a long time ago.....

reguadless there is nothing to worry about.

moddedblaster20
02-19-2010, 09:33 AM
mine ticks pretty loud as well. i was told the hot cams make it a little louder

v0lcom13sn0w
02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
im going to double check today again so i'll let you guys know whats up thanks for the help !:D