PDA

View Full Version : Painting Exaust ?

Stang_boy
01-24-2003, 04:57 AM
Just wondering is anyone here has had experience in painting the Exaust pipes ?

I'm on a budget but still want the bike to look good, and was wondering if it's possible to paint the primaries and muffler with regular high temp exaust paint ?

Any recommendations ?

Thanks
:devil

tants
01-24-2003, 01:29 PM
email kenny at extak@aol.com and ask him a price to powdercoat it. you can get really any color you want for a good price. will last longer and look much beter then paint. also tell him tants sent ya!

Stang_boy
01-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the info. The problem is i'm in Canada and don't really want to start shipping my parts around. Would high heat black paint be THAT bad ?

Crazy Honda
01-26-2003, 04:45 PM
first get some latex gloves because the oil in your hand will mess up the paint . scuff up the pipe with a scotch bright pad then paint. put your pipe back on start your motor and let it run for ten minutes or so to let it bake the paint on youl be set hope this helps:macho

fuddrucker
01-28-2003, 03:45 PM
I did that to mine when I had the stock pipi and it worked pretty well. I used 1200 deg. High Temp Paint and it held up pretty well. It did start to flake off right at the header though. Might try the 1500 deg. stuff if you can find some.

SR71
01-29-2003, 10:30 AM
You might look into a thermal barrier such as that offered by TechLine. There are other companies, but I only have experience with TechLine. The smallest can of exhaust coating would be more than enough for a quad exhaust and I think it sales for about $20. They have a website if you are interested. I think it is just techline.com.

You will need to have, or have access to a sand blaster and an airbrush. The heat of the exhaust will cure it.

RytM1
02-02-2003, 08:55 PM
If you go to www.por-15.com , they have some hi-temp (1400 degree) paints. They say they are good for headers and manifolds.

02-02-2003, 10:27 PM
The flaking off of the paint can be related to the prep and degreasing of the part as much as the paint used, next time be extra carefull to scuff it all and get it extra clean before you paint.

Predator36
02-03-2003, 04:45 AM
Techline coatings is what I prefer. Second best that I have used is John Deere exhaust paint.

Fluid400
02-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Post some pics of your paint jobs!

CBW
02-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by SR71
You might look into a thermal barrier such as that offered by TechLine. There are other companies, but I only have experience with TechLine. The smallest can of exhaust coating would be more than enough for a quad exhaust and I think it sales for about $20. They have a website if you are interested. I think it is just techline.com.

You will need to have, or have access to a sand blaster and an airbrush. The heat of the exhaust will cure it.

thats what i used on this when i had it...........satin black ceramic thermal barrier

DEAL
02-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Where in Canada are you from.

Stang_boy
02-03-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm from the outaouais region in quebec. It's 5 minutes from Ottawa.

I'll post some pics soon. My damm digital Kodak broke last week and I have to try to find someone or somewhere to get it fixed. I did take Regular pictures but then again I have to wait 'till the roll is done

:mad:

Frank

rider250ex
02-11-2003, 08:13 PM
the eastwood company has high heat satin black and silver paints. they show them on car headers so i am guessin they would be good.