PDA

View Full Version : gonna run a cross country race on the 27th... tips?

J.J.
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
i'm going to be running a cross country race on the 27th.. its an hour and a half long race..

is there anything i should know to do to my 450 before, during, or after a race like this?

i've only had this bike a couple months and havent got to ride it a whole lot so i dont really know what to expect out of it..

the only atv i've ridden extended periods of time on is my old 400ex and never in a race environment so any help is appreciated

d3ktrix
02-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Ride as much as possible until 2 days before the race.
Ride until u can't feel ur thumb, take a 10min break and do it again, all day until your laying over the bike.

Run/bike a lot.

Lots of protein to help the muscles heal and banana's on race day to keep u going.
Drink water and some gatorade, no alcohol the night before.

If you don't ride a lot as hard as u can for long periods of time your body will give out far before the quad.

fastredrider44
02-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Prepare to be addicted. How's your bike set up?

johnsoninc86
02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
fresh oil change if it hasn't had it in awhile, clean your air filter, you might want to spend some time setting up your suspension. Go run this first race, and see if you like it, if you plan on doing more of them, then you can start spending some money on skids, tires, suspension, stabilizers, etc...

There's a lot more you can do for yourself rather than your quad. Ride hard for the next couple days, but take it easy the day or two before the race. Wear a camelback on race day. Drink lots of water leading up to the race and the night before. This will help you a lot more than anything you can do to your quad right now...

airmobile101
02-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Invest in some Blue Loctite:D

Sjorge450R
02-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Turn your idle up higher than usual. It will help you when you get into technical stuff and you wot have to work the clutch as much. Almost every pro rider does that. It also makes it so that you don't go too slow

john willhoite
02-18-2010, 10:48 AM
get a camelback.

At the start- ride at your own pace. If you blow your wad to early you will be dying by the end.

Conentrate on just finishing.
Get some good goggles with tearoffs.

tflatt
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
most important of all HAVE FUN its a great sport with some of the coolest people you'll ever meet

Baileygunns
02-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Give 'er some or Giver 'er none!!!

Sjorge450R
02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by john willhoite
get a camelback.

At the start- ride at your own pace. If you blow your wad to early you will be dying by the end.

Conentrate on just finishing.
Get some good goggles with tearoffs.

see I have always hated tear-offs for xc. I was using the scott system that combines the two, but I was only putting on tear off on so taht I could tear it off after the holeshot.

J.J.
02-19-2010, 08:58 AM
right now its not setup too great.. it has stock arms but does have aftermarket ishocks set to my weight.. beadlock wheels and razr tires..

has a gibson steering stem and stabilizer..

as far as the motor i'm not sure.. it has a rossier exhaust and a k&n.. it kinda sounds like it has a cam but i'm not sure on that.. i do know it outruns my buddys yfz with a couple things done

300racer
02-19-2010, 11:53 AM
you might want some bags of ice in the fridge when you get home for the next day! :D and save alot of money. because even though you are sore as h#ll and wondering why you would ever put yourself through that agian you end up spending all your money on it and going to a race almost every weekend doing that samething to your body lol.

fastredrider44
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Ditch the K&N before its too late and get an UNI. Prepare for arm pump. There's realy no way to prepare you and your fourwheeler totally. Just go and have fun, be ready for the next one.