PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with my Trx 440!!!

06_hondatrx_400
02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
I have an 06 honda trx 440 and i was changing the oil today and i was puting in the longer bolt, and i didnt even have it tightined down all the way and it treads stripped out on the block. So how do i fix these treads can i retap it or do i have to take it to a honda delar and have them do it for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IcutMetl
02-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Which longer bolt? On the oil filter cap?? If the "treads" are stripped out; depending on the size and location of thread and confidence in your mechanical abilities, you could fix the "treads" pretty easily and inexpensively with a heli-coil or a threaded insert. A little more info would help. Good luck!

06_hondatrx_400
02-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Yah its the bolt on the oil filter cap. There are two bolts on it a shorter one and a longer one, its the longer bolt that got stripped out in the case. could i use a tap an die set to fix this and go a size bigger. And would you know wut size bolt that is? Thanks

IcutMetl
02-19-2010, 03:54 PM
If it's the oil filter cap, I would bet that it's a M6 x 1.0 thread. I can't remember how much material surrounds that area- if you'd have enough to drill out for the next size bolt up or not. I would bet that you could spend a few bucks on an M6 helicoil set, be careful with the drill, and fix it that way.