PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bolt - need answers

flyboy1294
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I have searched repeatedly but found nothing that seemed sure-fire when it came to removing the swing arm bolt. I had a friend tell me to have someone lift the weight off the back end of the quad, then loosen the nut on the swing arm bolt and drive it out with a mallet. I tried this with no success.

This bolt is EXTREMELY corroded. The 400ex I'm working on was let sit outside in a shed for years, and while it protected it from the sun, moister got in every crevice.

So, does anyone have any good ideas on removing this thing without doing permanent damage?

red416ex
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
The best thing I can say to do is spray some kind of penetrating oil on it and let it sit. Then do what you were doing and spray again and repeat. This is what I have had to do in the past and it might take a couple days of doing this. Good Luck :)

400exrider707
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
If it's that corroded, you'll need to cut it out. Some use hacksaws or sawzalls, I used a torch. The bolt is corroded to the spacers and virtually impossible to break free.

A lot of times the bolts actually bend too, so even if you get it unstuck from the spacers, it wont come out.

It's less frustrating to just cut the thing out and get a new one.:cool:

honda01400ex
02-17-2010, 06:48 PM
OK MINE WAS SO BAD THAT I SOAKED IT IN PB BLASTER AND THAT DID NOT WORK!!

WE CUT WITH SAW-ZAW AND DIDNT WORK STILL WE FINNALY HAD TO CUT THE FRAME AND LIFT OUT AND CUT WITH CUTTING WHEEL!!!! IT WAS A FAT ***** TO GET OUT

Thumpin440ex
02-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Luckely enough I had the engine out of the bike, but had to use a press to get them f&*Kn bushing out.. They were in there like no other.. Good luck on getting them out.. Use lube, penitration spary, big hammers, punches if you do not have access to a press of some kind.. mine was a ROYAL PITA

John

sc400ex_rider
02-17-2010, 10:38 PM
i soaked mine for 2 months and it came right out after 6 years. put it on its side to let it soak in. leave it on its side when you hit it. that takes the weight off the bolt. mine looked real bad where it was exposed but wasnt bad inside the bushings.

400exrider707
02-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Do not hammer on them too hard, you can crack the cases on the motors....;)

AutoRoc
02-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I cut it out.I used a sawzall and there is NOT a lot pf room. I recall hanging the quad upside down also to do it..... removed engine(as planned).. pounded out the 2 remaining pieces.. TOOK SOME TIME is what I remember!!!!

togup
02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
There is no easy way , I used PB blaster over a period of weeks and a 4 lb hammer and left the nut on the threads so it would not mushroom the bolt threads and then beat it till something bleeds (YOU), it is tough, then adding insult to injury the really hard part isnt the bolt its the bearing housings inside the swing arm that was the hardest for me. I ground mine out using an air die grinder cutting top and bottom of each bearing then extracting pieces ,if i had to do it again i would buy a new frame and swing arm screw the cost!

Pappy
02-18-2010, 07:08 AM
A little bit of preventatve maintence sure goes along way

flyboy1294
02-18-2010, 07:55 AM
I will try to soak it with PB blaster for th next week, then check back in.

Originally posted by Pappy
A little bit of preventatve maintence sure goes along way

Yes sir, it does. The previous owner did not maintain this bike the way he should have. I am paying the price now.

But as long as it is in my care, it sits in a heated and cooled garage. :D

beck125
02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Turn it on the side spray with pb blaster and beat the ell out of it

CJM
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
heat it up a bit then spray some PB. However a better penetrate imho is 50/50 automatic trans fluid (doesnt matter the type) and mineral spirits. will work 10x better.

johnnynonails
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
i did this not long back,spent a fortune on penatratin fluids ect, the t*at still wouldnt budget.i know every case is diffrent,but.......tbh. just cut it out and get a new bolt,i did.
and bearing/spacer kit,well worth it, very little hassle cuting it out,and i used a plain old hacksaw.john

81-Honda-04
02-18-2010, 03:37 PM
im having the same problem should I spray it with PB blaster even if i sawzall it out? cuz its still gatta slide somewhat doesnt it?

redrocker
02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I drilled it out
drill from both ends

flyboy1294
02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Alright this is ridiculous. I have been applying PB blaster every day for a week, and I have been tapping on the bolt daily too.

Today I took the weight off of the bolt and tried tapping it out with a 5lb sledge. I started off using wood as a buffer, but it wouldn't budge and when I started to get a good swing the wood broke. So I figured I'd just replace to the bolt and started hitting it on the nut end. I've pounded it enough to where the end of the nut broke off. And I missed and left a large dent in my frame that I might have to get repaired.

What is the best way to cut this out? I DON'T want to cut and have it still stuck in there. That would only make my problem worse. This is trying my patience.

AutoRoc
02-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Stand or hang the quad upside down. Unbolt the shock/link so the swingarm can swing more... then you have ok access to the bolt on both sides. I used a sawzall... once it was cut, remove the engine... and then proceed to beat the pizz out of the remaining pieces. The bolt rusts INTO the bearing races... absolutely horrible.

SHIFTx450
02-27-2010, 09:24 PM
..preventative maintenance indeed

ian0615
03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
dang, i havent gotten as far as taking the bolt out yet, thought i would ...not sure i want to struggle with that monster! 7 years of being in there i am sure it wont be easy...anyone wanna come over and get it out for me...free beer!

SHIFTx450
03-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by ian0615
dang, i havent gotten as far as taking the bolt out yet, thought i would ...not sure i want to struggle with that monster! 7 years of being in there i am sure it wont be easy...anyone wanna come over and get it out for me...free beer!

Hey how is your motor setup? I see you got high comp piston, stg 1 hotcam, and the timing key. How's she run? I was thinking of a similar setup for my 400, but I read about mixing the timing key and the high comp. not being good. I wanted to know how she felt too, like if you got nice power all around with some good snap?

clemsonteg
03-21-2010, 06:37 PM
What if you drilled a hole in the bolt, tapped it, and used a slide hammer?

ian0615
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
its a real good set up and am very happy with it...it pulls hard! have had no problems with the timing key with the HC piston...i run 100+octane gas so...power all around is amazing, 1st gear dont exist there is so much low end pull, slide around a corner in 3rd and keep it pinned down. I have heard of the timing issue you mention also but thats with the +6 key...get one of wheelie's +3 keys and you will be alright.

clemsonteg
04-29-2010, 07:05 AM
when you guys lift it up and take the weight off the swing arm do you just lift it in the air, or lift it in the air and then put a jack under the carrier, or remove the shock?

f4iracer
04-29-2010, 07:32 AM
You guys keep saying, "preventative maintenance" What does that mean?

Should we be applying lube to this bolt? i've never lubed mine, and there is not a zerk there, the ex has like no zerks.

my yfz had a boat load of them haha.

tayyo789
04-29-2010, 03:33 PM
The best preventative solution for the bolt that i have found is moly coating it once you have it out. Other than that, take it out more frequently, and keep it lubed.

MidnightBlade
04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
put a chain around the rafters in your garage then hoist the backend up about 2 feet higher than it sits. wrap the chain/rope around the grab bar but let the front tires on. lol. then put an inpact wrench on the 17mm side and give her h*ll :devil:

400ex=awesome
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
mine did the same thing so then we torched it and it came out:p