PDA

View Full Version : related to my last thread. "no start issue"

jcs003
02-17-2010, 03:30 PM
my quad will only start when the throttle is at wide open throttle.

it will stay running as long as i have about 1/4-1/2 throttle.

any suggestions on where my problem lies?

86 Quad R
02-17-2010, 03:50 PM
what size is it?

will it eventually clear out? sounds like it is loaded up badly. are you for sure that the float is shutting fuel off and not seeping and are you sure that the float is adjusted right?

has this carb ever ran correct in the past en have you looked down the barrel of the main/needle orfic to see if its EGG'd?

have you ever done a leakdown test on this engine? i cant remember en i'm not gonna rehash the old posts. :p

jcs003
02-18-2010, 02:01 AM
i took the carb apart and there wasnt anything I could see wrong. but i noticed fuel leaks out of the bowl overflow.

im assuming the float bowls are sticking open. as stated in my other thread. "the carb is probably just worn oiut."

86 Quad R
02-18-2010, 07:22 AM
there is a lil trick that i use to polish up the needle seat....

take and cut the corner off of a partially worn sheet of scotch brite and roll it into a ball. afterwards insert it into the needle seat. then take a flat head screwdriver bit that has had the center notched and insert it firmly against the scotch brite. with your thumb and index finger roll the bit back and forth until the seat is brite. you'll need compressed air to blow the scotch brite back out.

this has been very effective for me as todays gas will gum/tarnish those seats. if the face/tip of the needle is questionable it is a goed idea to replace it in conjunction to the seat polishing. :cool:

jcs003
02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R

take and cut the corner off of a partially worn sheet of scotch brite and roll it into a ball. afterwards insert it into the needle seat. then take a flat head screwdriver bit that has had the center notched and insert it firmly against the scotch brite. with your thumb and index finger roll the bit back and forth until the seat is brite. you'll need compressed air to blow the scotch brite back out.

this has been very effective for me as todays gas will gum/tarnish those seats. if the face/tip of the needle is questionable it is a goed idea to replace it in conjunction to the seat polishing. :cool:

thanks 86 quad r.

im just getting a good carb and not going to mess with this one anymore. its 24 years old, so its going in the scrap bin.

jcs003
02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R

thanks 86 quad r.

im just getting a good carb and not going to mess with this one anymore. its 24 years old, so its going in the scrap bin.