PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to do a port job?

rablack21
02-16-2010, 02:15 PM
I know there are a lot of good places out there to get your cylinders ported. But I would like to learn how to port cylinders myself. Engine builders will come and go, but learning this particular skill is something that could be passed on. I personally would like to learn how to port a cylinder and how to port it according to how someone may be riding. Does anyone out there have any knowledge and experience on porting procedures and techniques? I know I can't be the only one who is curious about this. I am speaking specifically about 250R cylinders of course.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-17-2010, 07:55 AM
:D :p You go TL.
Neil

LT80
02-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Do you have porting tools?

rablack21
02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Who I would really like to hear from is someone who has a lot of experience with porting. I want to know how they first started out. How do you learn how? Did someone teach you or did you learn on your own? If someone taught you, how did they learn?

C-LEIGH RACING
02-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Well, I aint big like them Cali boys out west, but been dabling sence the late 60s till now on 2 strokes & still dont know it all or claim to, but the engines do right well. I aint bosting myself up either, just proud to know what I do.
Reading & looking at work is your best friend & then trying to get the proper tools to do the job. You dont have the tools, no way to do it except make a mess when you trying without them.

Lot you see can port are after that dollar, but my deal is putting that 4 poker in its place, cause it aint all them big boys is claiming it is.
2 strokes been put down long enough because some out there cant ride them.
They put a real flywheel back on them 4 pokers & folks that own them will see what you realy got.

Was a big truck a lot of companys had in their fleets, White/Volvo tractors & most all the drivers called them ground pounders cause they rode so ruff & beat the drivers to death, well the 4 stroke on that same order should have a name change & be called "Billfold Emptier"
:eek: Neil

machwon
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
I bought my first porting tools in 1991 after a couple port jobs from a RHC motorsports and then Duncan. Read all the information you can, call all the port shops you can, keep good notes, look at all the cylinders you can. Spend most of your time figure out what you have done, evaluate the results and try to improve by repeating the process. I'm self taught and it didn't take long to port good, but the results were so-so. Port simulation software made improvements but head design is also a must. After that you get 80-90% of whats there. Then I went with a dyno and learned more on what combo's work and what doesn't, how different porting and head work responds. I'm still chasing that perfect combination and I guess that is what keeps me doing this. 19 years of porting and 35 plus tinkering with engines helps too. I have thought of doing a school if enough people are interested, but thats down the road for me. I learned the longer way being self taught and like most engine builders I put them in my motor builds, but I'm just not quite ready to spill all the how to do this tips and tricks just yet.

rablack21
02-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Machwon, Thanks for the reply. good information

rablack21
02-18-2010, 06:59 AM
What port simulation software did you use? I could be somewhat familar with this. I am a design engineer by trade. I use 3D modeling and simulation software now.

mineralgrey01gt
02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
after reading the responses on this, it kinda makes me nervous on porting my 400ex head lol. Im going to read that book for the 2 strokes and see how its done on that. Id also like to know what software is used.

Honda 250r 001
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
after reading the responses on this, it kinda makes me nervous on porting my 400ex head lol. Im going to read that book for the 2 strokes and see how its done on that. Id also like to know what software is used.

4-strokes arent nearly as complicated as 2-strokes. Now im no expert by any means... but i believe more polishing is done on a 4-stroke head than porting.

mineralgrey01gt
02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
4-strokes arent nearly as complicated as 2-strokes. Now im no expert by any means... but i believe more polishing is done on a 4-stroke head than porting.

really? I figured with the valves and such it would be more complicated but then again it makes sense since on a 2 stroke your changing the main ports on the jug

LT80
02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
""Who I would really like to hear from is someone who has a lot of experience with porting. I want to know how they first started out. How do you learn how? Did someone teach you or did you learn on your own? If someone taught you, how did they learn?""

Like I asked..Do you have porting tools?
If not, then go to CCSpecialty and cough up 5-600 bucks (to start).
Then get books like : A Grahm Bell. He has 2 stroke and "slow" stroke (that's for you Neil) books.
I looked at a handfull of other ppls work and took a lil from all then threw a lil of my own thinking in. After ruining a few cylinders, I got onto it.:devil:

So after I got my porting tools.. A lathe sure would be nice..and is..So what about a mill now.....It all starts out so simple..LOL

C-Leigh won't say it..but he builds a very good motor.