PDA

View Full Version : 400ex not starting.....Sort of a long read.

01exrider87
02-16-2010, 08:54 AM
So i am going to start off with the story then my questions will be at the bottom of the page.....

I bought a 2001 400ex about 3 months ago. When I first got it it started fine. Obviously in the cold it was a little harder then normal but one it got going it was fine for the rest of the ride.

About a month ago I went to my garage (non heated) to start it up and let it run for a bit just so the gas didnt foul anything up. When doing so I noticed that it was taking alot longer then normal to start. It took so long that I ended draining the battery. So I hooked up the charger to it let it sit for a bit then came back to try and start it..and nothing happened for about 20 minutes. It kept popping for the whole time then finally started. I let it run for a while then shut it off and didnt try for about another week.

This time while trying I once again drained the battery and after close to an hour I finally gave up. I brought it to my mechanic who has been working on bikes and quads for years to take a look at it.He called me up and told me that the engine was gouged and that the oil ring was letting cold air pass making it have an extremely hard start/no start problem. I said ok so do what you have to do. So he reccomends do a cylinder bore/hone and new piston and rings. I agree and he says it will be like new once it is done.

Exactly 3 weeks later I get a call from him saying that it is all done but he STILL cannot get it to start. He told me that the CDI box that was in there was made for an XR400 dirtbike only so that may be the problem. I had gotten an stock CDI box from the kid that I bought the quad from so I brought it down to the guy to see if that was the problem. We tried for about 30 minutes to get it started and nothing. It was popping and trying to start but thats it.

He then told me that because of the CDI box that was in there it could of offset the timing.

By this point I was starting to get a little bit irritated because I have been out of the quad for 3 weeks and spent close to 500 on the motor rebuild.

He told me to reset the timing you have to unhook the battery connect the positive and negative together for 2 minutes then let it sit for 4 to 5 days then do it all over backwards when putting it back together. Im not very familiar with these machines at all so I cant say if this is wrong or right.

My question really is, is any of these things going in the right direction to getting it started and running again?? Ive looked up the directions to reset timing and it says nothing about unhooking the battery for 5 days and then it will magically reset itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to get me going in the right path.

55stone
02-16-2010, 10:59 AM
i would have started with pulling the carb off and cleaning it...another thing..this may sound crazy and stupid but i had a buddy that i was helping rebuild a 400..anyways in the process of putting it back together..on top of the head just below the cam there is a spring and plunger..anyways..he lost this somehow while i wasnt there and had the cam in by the time i got there.. it will not run without this.. it did about what yours is doing and we checked the timing way to many times before i noticed it was that.. lol.. like i said crazy and probably not it just felt like sharing..

also did you have it bored over stock?? if so your jetting may be off. that shouldnt cause it to not start.but you might want to check that and clean the carb..if you already did this then..check all your wires for the killswitch.. make sure there all good and not cuasing it not to start..my other buddy had a 250ex that we beat the hell out of..but 1 day we couldnt start it..and it was just a killswitch issue..

01exrider87
02-16-2010, 12:54 PM
The engine was bored 1 over stock. I wasnt looking to break any landspeed records or anything and wasnt even really planning on doing anything to the motor anyways so I figured I would save some money.

He rebuilt the carb with a brand new rebuild kit from honda. All needles and jets are set to factory. We even play with them a little bit just to make sure because of the fresh engine.

I will definitly look into the spring and plunger next time I stop by the shop and see what he has to say about that.

johnnynonails
02-16-2010, 01:08 PM
have you checked the colour of the plug?.also are the jets seated right.
im sure the bike will run without the spring and plunger as after market cams dont use it,its purely for decomp,easier starting,(could be wrong).
are you getting a nuetral light?
also check to see the carb is mounted correct,no air leaks.plus i would take the carb off and recheck for blockages and jets are sat correctly,and not screwed in to far
also earth the plug against the barrel and check for a good spark.
just a few basics there for you to go at .john

daigs85
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
resetting the CDI sounds like BS to me

do you have fuel to the plug?
Do you have spark?
hows the Compression?

i just tore my motor down and ported the head and went threw the carb and it took a while to get her started again cuz the carb was totally dry and was getting worried but she did run again and seems ok but somtimes you gotta go back to basics to figure things out

joeptc
02-17-2010, 03:11 PM
first of all lets think about this it was running fine when you put it away and when you came back to ride later it wouldn't start. so that means you were not missing any engine parts. so go to the basics is it in neutral, is the kill switch on, is the gas turned on,is the plug any good, what about the plug wire. check the fuse beside the battery and see if that is good. is the exhaust plug up look to see if there is any mudd plugging it up. this is just what comes to mind right off of hand. don't take this the wrong way but sometimes its the simple things that gets by us.

red416ex
02-17-2010, 03:50 PM
How about a new battery? I had a battery that would try to crank the bike fine but would not start it. After I would try for so long it would kill the battery to. I ordered a new one and put it in and it fired right up. Might be worth a try sounds like everything else has been freshened up.

01exrider87
02-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Joeptc: Yes it was running fine and i put it away for about a week and then I went to start it just so nothing fouled and it wouldnt start after that. Everything else you mentioned like the plug. kill switch on, gas on, etc was all checked and triple checked. Its always been like that with the simplest things...but not this time.

red416ex: I am on my third battery counting the dead one that was in it when I first bought the quad. I tried for so long to get it started on the second battery it stopped holding a charge.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a bad stator/rectifier. Anyone ever had any troubles with either? Would it cause a no start??

arsenal35
02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
if is a stator or rectifer it wouldnt have spark or the spark would be weak what color is the spark at the plug

jelrod05
02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
it will not run without the spring and plunger for the cam it is for the decompressor system the aftermarket cams do not have these that is what i would think it could be