PDA

View Full Version : Newb to banshees just picked up a beat banshee.... where to start? lol

croom9
02-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Ok so I just traded a running blaster (with its share of issues) for a complete blaster basket case, and a banshee which inst in too bad of shape but the kid broke a rod on the right side, as far as I can see it didnt come through the bottom of the case, but i noticed a crack in the edge of the cylinder head where i presume the piston met the dome lol.....

Before i start to dismantle everything, anyone have any advice on where to start, or what to look out for when i get her opened up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, like I said im new to banshees and somewhat new to 2stroke engines, but im very mechanically inclined!

02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Banshee engine's are very very simple to work on. Basically once you pull off the head and cylinders, take everything off the flywheel and clutch side and the cases split top and bottom. Top case comes off and transmission/crank lie in the bottom case.

Just split the cases, swap out the crank, and look over the gears on the transmission.

Oh and look for any scarring on the cases.

2001warriorman
02-18-2010, 04:33 PM
yup dmc banshee pretty much summed it up. Check the head make sure its not destroyed if you can use it I recommend a cool head because its got interchangable domes and they do keep it cooler. Check your cylinders make sure theyre not completely junked your gonna need to bore and put pistons in I imagine. Throw a new crank in and check your bearings and clean everything up and you should be set. Ever think of dropping a 4 mill in it since the cranks junked anyway? If you bought the cool head they have domes just for a 4 mill for the extra clearance it needs and its make alot more tourque but thats a different story lol :devil:

tyleroar
02-20-2010, 03:28 PM
welcome! banshees are very easy to R&R parts. when you get into porting i would rather pay someone that has ported a couple hundred with good results and has access to a flow bench than to go that route my self. i would suggest if you are going back with a stock crank to get it welded and trued. wild card racing is the cheapest place to find after market CP cylinders if you are having to replace them they also sell new stock ones too. they have been about the cheapest for any thing i have looked for. might want to call others any way though. it usually doesn't pay to go through Yamaha dealers for parts

troyzstang
02-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Looks like you made out pretty well.

Good luck & keep us updated on your progress

croom9
02-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input, I just went out and tore the head off and found that first of all it was running on plain water, second the dome on the side the rod broke was hammered as if the chunk of reed cage, and part of the intake port casting must have bounced around on top of the piston before it finally departed through the exhaust pipe lol.

once i got the destroyed jug off i noticed the rod still was bolted to the crank and the bottom of the case was gouged but not busted through.

But there was no sign of any remnants of the piston or the broken rod just grit, Ill take some pictures for you all and post them up tommorow hopefully lol its very pretty in there