PDA

View Full Version : TC racing pipe

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 08:38 PM
hi, im still looking at alot of pipes but ive heard alot aobut the tc racing pipe. atvnews review said it had a good 3 hp on the stocker in the 20s and 30s, but had the same peak hp as stock. how much would this set me back? and what aobut instalation do you have to cut 5in of the headpipe? nd what aobut a powerbong with it? thanks.

ChadEXer
01-24-2003, 08:33 AM
The pipe is awesome!! Best sounding pipe out there by far! Will set you back around $319. Tom at TC recommends the stock header. Yes you have to cut 5 1/2 inches off of it!

propartsracing
01-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Hi,

The LRD will give you 6 more horsepower! It's an awesome pipe. My husband runs it in the Pro Production class at the GNCC series with his LRD engine. You can't beat it!

Trish;)

ChadEXer
01-24-2003, 10:31 AM
proparts, im not trying to be mean here at all, but there is no such thing as a pipe for a 400EX that gives 6 HP!!

01-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
proparts, im not trying to be mean here at all, but there is no such thing as a pipe for a 400EX that gives 6 HP!!

Chad,,,quit bein mean...:grr

Extremeracer167
01-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Actually chad, Ice heard that from a few ppl. That with LRDs engine work, they can produce an Extra 6 hp. It wouldnt with a stock engine, but i bet it would with an engine like what MIKE KRACHUN runs, which is her hubby. Dont know if u follow the GNCCs, but i believe mike got 3rd in the Pro Production, so u know hes got a little engine work done.

Now i think u owe Trish an apology. Now go play nice:D ;)

Scott400EX
01-24-2003, 01:24 PM
legacy atv quoted me 251 + shipping for a TC supertrap slip on!!!

01-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Scott400EX
legacy atv quoted me 251 + shipping for a TC supertrap slip on!!!

:eek: Damn Tom's bendin people over..:eek:

YLW400
01-24-2003, 02:12 PM
If I would have know that when I got my T-4, I would have gotten the TC for that price!!!

Extremeracer167
01-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Well then Legacy isnt quaoting the right prices. Because TC doesnt sell to even dealers that cheap, not unless it was a used one. Either that or they think that its the same exact thing as a supertrapp 4" race slip on. But i assure u that it is not. It took Tom about 35 min. to custom make mine. So it is not the same, and by no means will anyone sell a brand new one ftom TC racing for 251. sorry, but i know this for a fact

YLW400
01-24-2003, 02:22 PM
ouch

Extremeracer167
01-24-2003, 02:27 PM
on and PS,
Tom is a GREAT guy but if u have ever been up to his shop, the man is a nut for running the whole ordeal by himself. Believe me, when uhave 20-30 CRF motors that have to be done by race season, i know he wants to keep customers happy, but what would u rather do. Make a few hundred bucks on a motor or make a few bucks on an exhaust?

knighttime
01-24-2003, 02:38 PM
sounds like this guy is too busy, and thats not a good thing cause when u have to rush, bad things can happen

ChadEXer
01-24-2003, 02:51 PM
OK OK IM sorry:) But even with motor work thats a lot to shoot for!!

Dave400ex
01-24-2003, 02:51 PM
I asure you one thing, Tom DOES NOT rush. He takes his time. That's why his turn around is so long. I have the Pipe and love it. I will want one on any Quad I have from now on as well as TC motor work. I think he is a great guy and very nice to talk to on the phone as I have many times for several minutes....

ChadEXer
01-24-2003, 03:10 PM
I can tell you from experience he doesnt get in a hurry!!! I just hung up with him on the phone and he is very helpful, he has called me twice since i got the motor back asking me how it was going!! Super nice guy, and builds super fast motors!

Dave400ex
01-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Chad he actually called you? lol. Now that is Service....

knighttime
01-24-2003, 03:15 PM
i think chad deserved a call or 2 or 20, tom had his engine for about a YEAR :eek:

MOUSE
01-24-2003, 03:15 PM
ive got his pipe and i like it but it is loud. so i wouldnt ride it around the neighborhood unless your neighbors are all deaf. i would get tom to biuld my motor but i dont have the money so im just gonna get his mx cam and bore it to a 425 with a higher compression piston. :macho

Martin Blair
01-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Ok what all does it coem with just the silencer? and should i purchase another stock header to cut and ground the welds from for 100 from sevice honda? or will i never want to put the stock pipe back on? And how do you cut it? a hack saw? And is it posible to ground the welds on the intereor of the headpipe where the 2 meat into 1? thanks.

trx400ex
01-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Well i would have goten motor work from tom except he takes way too long. I dont care how good you are, im not waiting 6 months for you to do something that takes a couple hours. And he has had more than a week to ship a pipe, i dont care if he would rather make more money on motors. when you run a buisness, and someone buys something from you, you usually send them what they bought in a reasonable amount of time. I dont care if its 5$ or 5K. I wouldnt buy a new headerHN400ex, there are ones on ebay for like 10 bucks that are in new condition if your old one is junk.

Martin Blair
01-24-2003, 06:16 PM
no the header is ok, just if my dad yells at me for cuting it off i can get a new 1 pretty cheap so if he ever wants me to run stock exhaust because the tc is to loud, dunno y but parents are weird like that.

Dave400ex
01-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Trust me it's Loud, very Loud. Putting the dics and closed End Cap on don't help either. I've tried many different ways and they don't help. Everybody around you gets used to it after a while. My neighbors still complain and say it rattles their windows when I ride. lol

01-24-2003, 08:42 PM
:blah

Martin Blair
01-24-2003, 09:43 PM
LOL thats a butiful pipe, j/p. Well on my rancher i drove it in the lil field behind my house with straigh pipes, the 400 cant be louder then that with a tc racing pipe. And i dont ride in the neighborhood, just to jet and adjust the carb.

How should i go aobut cuting the headpipe? take it off and grab some new seals i know. I figured use a hacksaw so that i get a straight cut with no jaged edges, then use a dremel to grind the welds? sound good? thanks.

Dave400ex
01-24-2003, 09:55 PM
Yeah that sounds great. Make sure you cut it at 5 1/2 inches...

Martin Blair
01-24-2003, 10:13 PM
OK, doesnt it come with some instrustions, i hope? thanks.

Dave400ex
01-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Well no it doesn't. Mounting is very easy. The only thing you will have to do before you mount it up is cut the Header. Make sure you ask Tom about Jetting too....

Martin Blair
01-25-2003, 12:46 PM
ok, im getting a jet kit but i will probably need to buy so more jets. It shoul;d be easy i just have to remeber to cut 5 and 1/2 inches of the pipe. but im sure tom will tell me.

phatswinn
01-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Trust me it's Loud, very Loud. Putting the dics and closed End Cap on don't help either. I've tried many different ways and they don't help. Everybody around you gets used to it after a while. My neighbors still complain and say it rattles their windows when I ride. lol

one of my neighbors gets mad when i night ride with my e-series, but i snowblow her driveway whenever it snows and cut her lawn once a week cuz shes kinda old and thats my way of saying sorry, and my way of keeping the cops away, and around here the cops like me and i dont need that to change, so and hour of work a week isnt bad in the summer and 10 minutes every couple of days isnt bad either.

my dad on the other hand hates it and wants me to put the stocker back on, but he cant make me cuz i bought the quad and everything on it, hes gunna have to live with the 3 minutes of loudness comeing from it to warm it up

trx400ex
01-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by phatswinn
one of my neighbors gets mad when i night ride with my e-series, but i snowblow her driveway whenever it snows and cut her lawn once a week cuz shes kinda old and thats my way of saying sorry, and my way of keeping the cops away, and around here the cops like me and i dont need that to change, so and hour of work a week isnt bad in the summer and 10 minutes every couple of days isnt bad either.

my dad on the other hand hates it and wants me to put the stocker back on, but he cant make me cuz i bought the quad and everything on it, hes gunna have to live with the 3 minutes of loudness comeing from it to warm it up
Dude that is awesome of you i read your other post and if you do all the stuff you say you do you get the EXrider member of the week award.

Martin Blair
01-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Well my neighbors dont complain, i dont care about it really neither does my dad, i just need somewya to reatacth the stock or quit it down if i go to a noise controled inviroment. like hatfield mcoy or soemthing. its cant be any louder then striagh pipes, so it shoulc be cool, now all i need is some money. this is a stupid question but anyone want to buy some stock plastic tire gaurges that go on the pegs?

MichaelS693
01-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Super nice guy, and builds super fast motors!

:p .....................supertrapp and the TC pipe arent the same thing....in a way yes but in a way no

Martin Blair
01-26-2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah the TC pipe is way different from a supertrapp. Its much better from what ive herad, i ahd a supertrapp on my rancher, it was ok, but not what i hoped for.

ChadEXer
01-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Im not sure but i think Tom bores the inside of the pipe out and puts new baffles and packing in it. Not sure about that though, but i do know it is a straight through pipe!!

Dave400ex
01-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Man I got my pipe in less then a Week!!!!!!

250x#93
01-27-2003, 02:29 PM
because hes a lazy *******. Its :rolleyes:
At least he builds stuff with good quality I think I would rather wait a while for something that is good quality than buy something of poorer quality and get it the next day:)

ChadEXer
01-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
Haha i just found out he hasnt even shipped my pipe. Ill tell you why he takes 8 months to build a motor, because hes a lazy *******. :grr :grr :grr Its okay though, i think ill stick to sending stuff to Pro Fab and getting it back within a week.
I also have a friend that got his pipe in less than 1 week. I know that sometimes he runsout of supplis to build pipes and maybe thats why its taking so long!

Dave400ex
01-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah and his Motors are fast! My brother got out of the gate 13th, by the first turn he was in 4th and the straight to it is not long at all....

ChadEXer
01-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Yeah and his Motors are fast! My brother got out of the gate 13th, by the first turn he was in 4th and the straight to it is not long at all....
Your right, his motors are very fast! Speaking of, i think Im gonna go ride it!!!

trx400ex
01-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 250xredrider
:rolleyes:
At least he builds stuff with good quality I think I would rather wait a while for something that is good quality than buy something of poorer quality and get it the next day:)

Go ahead and roll your eyes. Thats not the way to do buisness. I would rather get something that is good quality the next day, but hey, maybe you like to wait for your stuff. Im going to have a really hard time recomending this to people see as you pay 340$ for a slip on pipe. You can get full systems for 450$. The price never bothered me, but i didnt think it would take 3 weeks to get something that was in stock. You know what i like is when i buy some goggles off a guy on ebay and he has them to me in one day. I know engine work is different. But why do you guys settle for this when you can send you engine somewhere else and get it back running just as fast, not to mention the same year you sent it. Maybe Tom should hire someone to help him. Why does everyone care that he does all the work himself? Im sure there are alot of other guys that will work for him and do just as good of a job boring cylinders. Only thing i can see being an "art" is porting. Engine bulder of the year in my book.

www.profabatv.com
Great Service
Low Prices
Quality Work
Fast Turn-arounds

Dave400ex
01-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Mine hasn't even been started in over 3 weeks! :eek: I bet it won't run now....

Dave400ex
01-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Yeah I know how you feel. I hate waiting for stuff....

trx400ex
01-27-2003, 02:51 PM
We just added a page to this thread. I havent ridden in a long time and i have cabin fever. I think thats it. And i wont get to ride till April :eek: .

ChadEXer
01-27-2003, 03:23 PM
I just got off the 505 and man what fun!! Damned thing pulls pretty hard!! Matter of fact I was doing some test runs on my land like i would at the strip and I cant use all the power because i cant control the bike! Its very hard to hold on!!! Better get some more practice on it,,,,every tenth of a second counts!!

01-27-2003, 03:30 PM
yea man i think say he is a lazy ******* is a little strong. he runs a good company. he could rebuild anything in his sleep. but i do think maybe he could get some help. maybe he just dont trust anyone else doing work for him than slapping the tc logo on it withought knowing how the prson did it(maybe that sounded a little confusing).i have the pipe and i got in 7 days. and when i call him he seems very bizy i dont think he is lazy.he is a cool guy.

Dave400ex
01-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Well that's the very reason Tom doesn't hire anybody, he doesn't trust them, and doesn't want to have the TC logo on it if the guy he hired started screwing a lot of crap up. If you wanna go fast, you got a pay, and wait. He could hire somebody to at least answer the phone though, but again they may not always know what they are talking about.....

Martin Blair
01-27-2003, 08:36 PM
I dont care aobut the weight, i would rather wiegh for what i want then settle for somethign less just because it will get here a week earlier.

01-27-2003, 08:49 PM
edit on that weight=wait in this case guys(if i inturperate it correctly) i am no good at spelling but that was kinda confusing

Martin Blair
01-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Im no good anything that has to do with english or writeing spelling grammer, all that.

ChadEXer
01-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Yes Tom is a VERY busy guy, but when I call him he always takes time out to help me, sometimes we sit on the phone for over 30 minutes like when I was trying to set my carb and he was telling me how! He could use a little help but he told me it will never happen! He doesnt trust anyone to do any of his work, even answer the phone because he wants to make sure his customers get the right information!! In a way that sucks because we all know how backed up he is and how long he takes, but then again, your guaranteed that your work will be done right,,,,good things come to those who wait,,,,,well I waited and I got a good thing!!!

trx400ex
01-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Look at Wayne Mooridian, he took the time out to teach Mark B. how to build his shocks, just think if wayne was the only one still building PEPs:eek: . I think Tom could easily find some one to take under his wing for a couple of months and teach them how to do the work he does. I would say he could build up some trust after a while. I know Tom does great work and he is engine builder of the year. No doubt he builds fast motors. Come to think of it, i dont know why the wait of building a motor bothers me, wait for shocks has never bothered me. Maybe its because there are other places out there that do it faster. I dont know. I cant wait to get my engine back together and hear that new TC pipe:macho . Suckas gonna be loud:D .

01-28-2003, 01:34 PM
Suckas gonna be loud:D .

Yeah like this mofo here...:eek: It's too loud actuallly...:(

trx400ex
01-28-2003, 01:36 PM
That looks good RIco. Too loud? Is it louder than a TC?

01-28-2003, 01:45 PM
It's probably as loud as a TC pipe..about the same amount of aluminum in both of em now I'd say. Heck I cut enough off the bills to make another TC pipe that's for damn sure...:macho

I shoulda sold what was left of the bills pipe to Tom for $320 and asked him what it was like to buy $10 of aluminum for $320..ROFLMFAO

knighttime
01-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Rico
It's probably as loud as a TC pipe..about the same amount of aluminum in both of em now I'd say. Heck I cut enough off the bills to make another TC pipe that's for damn sure...:macho

I shoulda sold what was left of the bills pipe to Tom for $320 and asked him what it was like to buy $10 of aluminum for $320..ROFLMFAO

:eek:

its funny cause its so damm true :eek:

:D

Dave400ex
01-28-2003, 02:18 PM
You better hope everybody that lives around you doesn't care about loud sounds, because you can hear the TC pipe for a good mile away if not 2.

ChadEXer
01-28-2003, 03:03 PM
I love the way the TC pipe sounds!! Especially with the big bore, damned thing can be heard for miles! When people first see my bike, then I fire it up, there all amazed!!

trx400ex
01-28-2003, 05:16 PM
You better hope everybody that lives around you doesn't care about loud sounds, because you can hear the TC pipe for a good mile away if not 2.
If this was meant for me, then yeah im ok. The quad will only be ridden on tracks, and maybe a little on our home made tracks. Yeah they do sound awesome chad.

Hey a question on polishing the TC pipe, is it just bare aluminum or is there something im gonna have to strip off? Thanks

Dave400ex
01-28-2003, 07:31 PM
You don't have to strip anything off to polish it. Just use some different grit sand paper and mother's. Chad can tell you how to do it. I just did mine with mother's for now.....

Martin Blair
01-28-2003, 08:22 PM
With this pipe i can still race XC? arroud here theres no place to ride anywhere near town. It can be any louder then stright pipes

ChadEXer
01-29-2003, 09:32 AM
If this was meant for me, then yeah im ok. The quad will only be ridden on tracks, and maybe a little on our home made tracks. Yeah they do sound awesome chad.

Hey a question on polishing the TC pipe, is it just bare aluminum or is there something im gonna have to strip off? Thanks
Just buy different grit sandpapers(220,400,600,800,1000,1500) and sand the entire pipe with one grit at a time! be sure to polish up and down or left and right and NOT in circles. After the 1500 grit is finished, hit it with some Mothers and this is what it will look like......

Extremeracer167
01-29-2003, 10:10 AM
i used Zephyr Pro 40 and a drill with a small polishing wheel on it, and mine looked like chrome, no exageration!

Martin Blair
01-29-2003, 08:26 PM
So what aobut XC?

Dave400ex
01-30-2003, 07:43 AM
What do you mean, "What about XC"?

01-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
So what aobut XC?

Yes you can use in in cross country..everybody and there cousin has them at the GNCC races...:macho

Extremeracer167
01-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Yes you can use in in cross country..everybody and there cousin has them at the GNCC races...:macho

Hey....if ya wanna run with the best, u gotta run the best;) :D

Dave400ex
01-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Yeah Doug Gust doesn't run the TC pipe for no reason. :huh :blah

Martin Blair
01-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Ok i didnt know doug ran a tc pipe i figured it might be to loud. Well i got 200 bucks so all i need is 140 more :)

stevengates45
01-31-2003, 01:41 PM
I say go with Curtis Sparks pipes. Sound awesome & give most horsepower out of every pipe for the EX.

Dave400ex
01-31-2003, 02:39 PM
If he gets a Sparks he will be saving all Summer......

Martin Blair
01-31-2003, 02:45 PM
No everyone runs a sparks or someother system. I want a TC because only 4 or 5 people here have them.

02-02-2003, 08:49 PM
yea the only peopel i know of that run the tc exaust are me, wariorman, and chadexer. u guys know of anyone else. that is kinda wierd seeing as they are so good.

stevengates45
02-02-2003, 09:10 PM
If he gets a Sparks he will be saving all Summer......

The best performance isnt cheap.

02-03-2003, 12:12 PM
depending on the setup tho they both have about the same outcome(horsepower wise) and u have to ask your slef is it worth all that money fur just under 1 hp. i mean sore they will both give a ood ammount of hp i think about the same. the tc also has many advantages. it is shorder for racing, it is designed for stock headpipe(xspet on a z), comes with race cap and scliencer, better sound. cheeper. i mena i would go for the tc it is kick *****

stevengates45
02-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Well Im just saying that money sets the difference between good & best.

02-03-2003, 01:20 PM
yea you're right....... Doug Gust probably doesn't want the best.

Dave400ex
02-03-2003, 01:45 PM
I don't think price has anything to do with the power. Hetricks pipe is suppose to be just as good if not better then the Sparks and it's about $100 cheaper. HMF's pipes are fairly cheap, and they put out good power. Just get what you want...

Extremeracer167
02-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Dont forget me!!! I run TC everything! Ive been there with ALOT of the aftermarket exhaust. FMF, WB, Pro Circuit, Big Gun, and now the TC. ANd its by far my favorite. #1 it is loud, but its a sweet sounding loud. #2 its so chort u dont really have to worry about someone smashing the end of it closed cause its tucked in there pretty good. #3 it looks BAD***** and #4 it helped to make mine run like a MOFO!:D

trx400ex
02-03-2003, 02:37 PM
got my pipe today, i think the quality is a 9 outa 10, only thing that bothered me was one of the rivets wasnt put on quite perfect but i dont know how to explain it. Anywho the billet endcap is sweet and i am really happy with how it looks up close, i think this pipe is the coolest

02-03-2003, 04:05 PM
sweet i am glad you like it. but have u installed it yet. i mean common u cant get the full thril untill uhear it and test it out!!!

trx400ex
02-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Haha well i dont have anything to install it on:eek: :D. Actually i am waiting form my s-frame then i can mount it up but i still wont be able to hear her run for another week or so:( .
Oh and one other good thing i was gonna say was that it comes with all the hardware you need and i thought that was pretty cool. Alot of the stuff ive bought for ten times this much doesnt include hardware. Later

Dave400ex
02-03-2003, 06:06 PM
What all did you get with your Pipe?

02-03-2003, 07:22 PM
prolly the same thing i got. new bolts and rubber incerst and sparky with the allen screw??? i like how he doesn't even have directions he draws them up. that is a true engine builder right there

Dave400ex
02-03-2003, 07:37 PM
I got the TC end cap, with the Supertapp discs and end cap....

stevengates45
02-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by hondaquadman
yea you're right....... Doug Gust probably doesn't want the best.

Easy killer, just an opinion. No need to get offended.

02-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by stevengates45
Easy killer, just an opinion. No need to get offended.

sorry but i kinda do get offended easily. i dont even know why man. i should be in anger management(sp) classess :rolleyes:

ChadEXer
02-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by hondaquadman
prolly the same thing i got. new bolts and rubber incerst and sparky with the allen screw??? i like how he doesn't even have directions he draws them up. that is a true engine builder right there
Yeah he had a few drawings that came with my motor too! One on how to install the carb and one about the pipe!! His drawing and handwritig definately isnt top of the line but it gets the point across real easy and I think its cool!! On one of the papers he wrote"This engine is 505 cc's, it will run well. enjoy"