PDA

View Full Version : 250R OHIO MX Invitational....

Derrick Adams
02-15-2010, 02:56 PM
So last year there was a short talk on having a 250R festival, but plans never materialized.

I have been thinking of scaling that down a little and hosting a 250R MX Invitational. (Just as somewhere to get started)

I live in Ohio, so naturally I always kind of look to see if other riders are close to me. I have noticed quite a few R riders from Ohio, Mich, Penn, and Indiana.

For a beginning event, I know of a local track called Smith Road Raceway, located in Medina, Ohio. This track has been in business since the sixtys. This track is a true "old school" MX track that's really a mix of XC and MX. I think this would be an ideal place to try this, because it really is rider friendly to all riders. Any bike can really be competitive as well. To top it off, they still offer a 2 stroke quad class.

However if this goes well and the attendee's feel a more agressive track is needed, then we have several to choose from.

SO, with that being said. They run only 3 dates at this track. Memorial Day, Independance Day, and Labor Day. Which of these dates would be best for most that would be interested in attending?

On a side note, if some of you are interested in TT and/or MX, we can make plans at my home track, which runs TT on Saturday and MX on Sunday. They run a 10 race series so more dates would be available.

IF this is not something people would be interested in, please disregard this thread. I for one, love racing against other 250R's!

K-Dub
02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Im very interested in this exept for those 3 weekends. I have to work and to take vacation on a holiday weekend you lose your holiday pay. Im from central east Ohio, just below I 70 and 12miles from the river. I would love to try some TT racing, never gotton a chance to ride it as there are no tracks close to me. But I think would be a great thing to do. To do this on a already scheduled race day would all of us overload a race schedule?

Here are some ideas just thrown out:
If we get enough of us R owners to commit could we get a track to hold a 250R invitational, say your home track. We could have a day of running MX and TT racing, or make it TT on sat and MX on sun with a cook out sat night. Ask your home track if they would be interested in hosting it, and how many entry's they would need to get interested. Or what they would charge to hold it, then figure out how many entrys you would need to make it happen. Surely we could get 75 to 100 R owners interested. Once you get this rolling, if its on an off weekend of the nationals you even might get Pappy interested enough to come out and shoot pics and do an article for this site. I would let Duncan, CT, LRD, LED, TC, and any of the other R engine builders from the Rs heyday know its happening. Plus the frame builders, you know there will be gobs of thier stuff there. Never know they might wanna come set up shop.

02-15-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm listening...:D

leager-n-ky
02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
You have my interest.

Pappy
02-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Keep Breezewood in mind...Dan would be all over this!

www.breezewoodprovinggrounds.com

I know if it was agood turn out and on a weekend I wasnt on teh road, I would gladly cover it and maybe be able to get some exposure for it in the mags

Derrick Adams
02-16-2010, 03:18 AM
There are tons of tracks in Ohio that would love to have us. However, to have a 250R exclusive race would not be feesible for them. That's why I figured it would be better for us to work with an existing schedule and go from there.

There are many MX tracks, and there are many TT tracks, however there are very few that offer both. My local track is Sunset Ramblers, in Galion, Ohio. They have both a flat track and a motocross track. They run flat track on Saturday evenings and Motocross on Sunday mornings. Over night camping is permitted. This is just an option.

I have never been to Breezewood, but from what I here even the C class track is extremely challenging. I've also heard it's mainly catered to dirtbikes so the ruts are huge. Maybe someone that has been there can chime in. I think it's best to find a mild track to host the first one at, so as to attract more riders. I don't want to discourage novices or get anyone hurt.

So to start, I guess. What would you prefer? MX or TT/MX weekend?

C41Xracer
02-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Damn it!!!!!!!It figures my quad wont be done for this.............

Fear250r
02-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Keep Breezewood in mind...Dan would be all over this!

www.breezewoodprovinggrounds.com

I know if it was agood turn out and on a weekend I wasnt on teh road, I would gladly cover it and maybe be able to get some exposure for it in the mags

That's not a bad idea at all Pappy. We could probably get the whole place just for us for a weekend?

deathman53
02-16-2010, 06:56 AM
you need to come to breezewood, its awesome, its not dirtbike catered also. Last time I was there, there a trike there, 86 or 87 200x. I plan to bring my atc250r next time I go, so bring your hybrid 450 trike.

89rwfo
02-16-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm listening, Might have to hurry my mx build up a tad bit. But would definatly be there on one of my "R's"

Honda 250r 001
02-16-2010, 07:53 AM
id be interested in going, but would there be an age class or how would it work? because im sure i would get my **** rocked if i raced all 20-30 year olds.

Pappy
02-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams

I have never been to Breezewood, but from what I here even the C class track is extremely challenging. I've also heard it's mainly catered to dirtbikes so the ruts are huge.

Not sure who told you this, but BPG caters to quads and any ruts you find are from a quad:p

The intermediate track is pretty tame, but it has enough challenge to let you hang it out there if you want. I mean if your a parking lot warrior then you probably wont like it, but if you are into MX then its just about perfect.

They offer camping, cabins, dining all, showers and Dan will just about kill himself to make your stay enjoyable. If that isnt a place you want to be at then I dont know what is:p

K-Dub
02-16-2010, 07:59 AM
To me we have to have a place that the 4 types of Rs can all ride. The most are probally MX and CC builds, but there will be guys with stock or close to stock Rs and TT/flat track Rs. Ive never been to Breezewood, does it have a place for the TT Rs to run. I looked at the web site and seen it has trails, maybe we could set up a small hair scramble there for the CC Rs. I just think where ever it happens we need something so everyone can ride or have a race to enter. Would the beginner track be suitable for the TT Rs?

Thanks for adding to this Pappy! Like he said if we could arrange this on a weekend he could come, and get mag exposure that is what will make it big. Pappy if this happens and I get to come, Ill let you ride my R. The suspension might be a little stiff for ya though. lol

Pappy
02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
There used to be a circle track but very little interest so it was removed.

Best thing would be to contact Dan and chat about it. It wouldnt surprise me for him to get the dozer out and make one:p

K-Dub
02-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
id be interested in going, but would there be an age class or how would it work? because im sure i would get my **** rocked if i raced all 20-30 year olds.

To me something like this wouldnt be about winning or being last by a mile. It would be about meeting and riding/racing for fun with/against the guys from this site. Checking out what the others have built and take pride in. We might also if we get enough turn out send pics and vids to Honda, let them know where still here and in force and not going to go away. Tell them we want our parts to be made. Eat some good food, bench race with the other guys and just to have a good time, and for no one to get hurt. Being proud that you have one of the greatest quads ever made.

leager-n-ky
02-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by K-Dub
To me something like this wouldnt be about winning or being last by a mile. It would be about meeting and riding/racing for fun with/against the guys from this site. Checking out what the others have built and take pride in. We might also if we get enough turn out send pics and vids to Honda, let them know where still here and in force and not going to go away. Tell them we want our parts to be made. Eat some good food, bench race with the other guys and just to have a good time, and for no one to get hurt. Being proud that you have one of the greatest quads ever made.

X 2.............

Honda 250r 001
02-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
X 2.............

well true, but is it gonna be me, (16) and a bunch of older guys? Is there anyone thats under 18 that could be there?

02-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
well true, but is it gonna be me, (16) and a bunch of older guys? Is there anyone thats under 18 that could be there?

Why, so you can hold his hand? You sound like you're scared to go out there and race. :devil:

Honda 250r 001
02-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 8686
Why, so you can hold his hand? You sound like you're scared to go out there and race. :devil:

na hell no im not scared to raec, i ust wanna know what to expect

croat1
02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
i'm interested. never raced or rode a mx track before. stricktly a woods rider. hell just just get out with the R crowd would be great.
i'm located 45 minuted north of smith road track.

hey charlie i bet we could get a bike together in no time at all.

another thing i was thinking about was getting as alot of 250r riders together for some woods riding at Wayne National Forest or Hatfield McCoy

C41Xracer
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
If i had enough parts to i could, i might go just to get to meet more R riders

02-16-2010, 10:44 AM
This whole idea sounds like a blast. I might not get any riding done cuz I'll be back in the parking area checking out everyone's quads and shooting the breeze with other 250R riders!

89rwfo
02-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by croat1
i'm interested. never raced or rode a mx track before. stricktly a woods rider. hell just just get out with the R crowd would be great.
i'm located 45 minuted north of smith road track.

hey charlie i bet we could get a bike together in no time at all.

another thing i was thinking about was getting as alot of 250r riders together for some woods riding at Wayne National Forest or Hatfield McCoy

This would be a great idea as well. I would love to blaze some trails and run up on a pack of 4 pokes with a bunch of smokers

dustinshuler
02-16-2010, 01:51 PM
North east tennesee race way would be a great place as they have a tt track mx and sx track and a 9 mile xc track. They have had national tt races there and one year they had an olympics there were you raced all 3 kinds for an overall score that would be cool. also they have camping and bath houses and would probably close to everyone else.

dustinshuler
02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Derek, Im not trying to jack your thread because I would be up for a trip to ohio.
I am the one that started the 250r fest thing awhile back and as earlyer I talked about the tenn thing. I talked to the owner of the I-81 speedway and he said to get a date and he would be all over it. He even said he would bring out a couple new 250rs for display from his collection. He owns Jims honda in Johnson City Tenn.I think tenn would be a great place to have a big 250r get together so people could come from both the north and the south. As far as the mx invatational let us know.

skyeryder
02-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I would be there for sure, I like the idea of a 2-stroke day, that way maybe there's a youth race also, my son's DRR is a 70cc 2-stroker. Someone's probably gonna have to just pick a date and go with it..... I also liked the idea of getting a bunch of R's together and picking a National or two to flood with them...

Derrick Adams
02-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I would encourage anyone to have a get together anywhere they want. The more the merrier. But from my standpoint, I would like to put something together in Ohio. Just because I am planning on racing my R at all the national MX races this year and really just can't afford to travel anywhere else. Also, it's really difficult to organize things by yourself when your 5 hours away. lol

I have been organizing these types of events for about 5 years now, working with 3wheelerworld on their "Trikefest" event and more closely with the OTC (Ohio Trike Crew) on many races thru-out Ohio. It's been my experience to start modest and see how things go. If you get bored do a search on youtube for OTC and check out the trike races i've been involved with.

Back to subject. We have plenty of time so let's see how many people are interested in traveling to Ohio for a 250R get together at an MX race or a TT/MX race weekend.

For those that are interested, I think I will shoot for early fall for a date. That way the weather will be nice, and I will be done with the National races.

Watch how fast this grows!!!

Deathman, maybe I should coordinate this around an OTC gathering so you could bust out the TRX and the ATC.

02-16-2010, 04:03 PM
I would drive to Ohio.

C41Xracer
02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
if this is going to happen and be fair to as many people as possible i think a few different places need to be set up. Obviously 1 in ohio, michigan or indiana, maybe PA. Somewhere south? Kentucky maybe Tenn. That way everyone gets to meet more people.

leager-n-ky
02-16-2010, 10:40 PM
croat1, Are you near Portsmouth, Oh???????

croat1
02-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
croat1, Are you near Portsmouth, Oh???????

i'm 12 miles south of cleveland. usually do all of my riding at wayne national forest near columbus

red88r
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd be up for something in Minnesota,Wisconsin,Illinois,Ohio, or Indiana....any further and it just gets to be too much drive time.

fastrnrik
02-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm in Florida, but I would probably drive to an event like that. A TT & MX deal would be awesome!

K-Dub
12-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Hey what ever happened to this? Did the idea just die off?

Derrick Adams
12-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Funny you mentioned this. I was just thinking about it too.

Let's get this rolling!

C41Xracer
12-10-2010, 04:51 AM
ill have a quad ready, im game

12-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Talked me into it.

C41Xracer
12-10-2010, 06:16 AM
We should do it at beans or crow canyon. Somewhere that has a track and woods to ride in. Some guys aren't gonna want to go to the track and some will.

12-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
We should do it at beans or crow canyon. Somewhere that has a track and woods to ride in. Some guys aren't gonna want to go to the track and some will.

Notice it is called an MX invitational.

C41Xracer
12-10-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm aware of that and I'm all for it. What I'm saying is there are guys that would like to meet fellow R riders but there not mx guys. This should be all about racing but everyone getting together to finally put a screen name and a face together.

Conant19
12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
iam down for it mx is fun on them but tt is where its at would be there for sure if it turns into having a tt race as well and iam in ohio so that makes it that much sweeter

hartwill
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
How come I never seen this thread before? I'm definatly game for something like this. I live in Lorain Ohio about 25 min west of Cleveland. There is an atv friendly mx and hare scramble track not too far from me called Meadowlarks. Maybe you've heard of it. This may also be an option if others fall through. But anywhere its held in Ohio you can count me in.

Derrick Adams
12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I love Meadowlarks, but I just dont think they will have the camping/ parking area to support our needs.

Working on options now for a location that will suit our needs.

C41Xracer
12-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Is this a 250r get together only?

Derrick Adams
12-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Is this a 250r get together only?

Why do you ask?

C41Xracer
12-10-2010, 05:53 PM
My R isn't close to being done, the only ride I've got is a 250r based hybrid.

hartwill
12-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I think that any 250r enthusiast should be welcome to come, but it would be better to race only 250s. But thats just my 2cents. However it doesnt matter either way to me but some riders may have something to say if you show up with a four poke. What do you think Derrick?

C41Xracer
12-10-2010, 06:18 PM
If this is going to be a track rental then yeah it should be a 250r gathering only and that's fine with me. No matter what ill be there to meet everyone. If the track isn't rented then you'll all have to deal with four strokes.

hartwill
12-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I agree, and like I said before it wouldn't bother me if there were 4 strokes racing but since its a 250r invitational, some people may frown on it. But regardless I would really like to put a face with a lot of these screen names.

croat1
12-10-2010, 10:09 PM
My R isn't close to being done, the only ride I've got is a 250r based hybrid.

don't worry about it charlie. i will have 2 r's ready to go. you can borrow one of them.

C41Xracer
12-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by croat1
don't worry about it charlie. i will have 2 r's ready to go. you can borrow one of them.

Thanks Joe.................thats what friends are for:D

trx450r1989
12-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I might be game im near philly though so depends how far. problem is my riding buddy he rides a 450r :/

croat1
12-11-2010, 08:16 AM
hey derrick: where in ohio are you?

Derrick Adams
12-17-2010, 05:52 PM
So, i'm really tossed about what direction I want to take with this event. On one hand i'm thinking just doing a small 250R gathering. On the other i'm thinking about expanding it to more of a 2 stroke Invitational.

I guess the real deciding factor will be whether I can secure a track for the dates I want. I've had real good success in promoting events and advertising in DirtWheels and ATV Rider and I plan to do it with this event as well, however I think it would be smart to try to have this event either June 25th/26th or July 9th/10th. Those are the weekends directly before and after the Ohio National race. Which highly increases chances for Magazine types to stop by and hang out.

If I can work out one of these dates then I would like to go with the 2 stroke Invitationals.

Tentative classes would be:
70cc
90cc
Blaster
250cc A/B
250cc C
Open A/B
Open C

If I can't work out that deal, then I would be more likely to go with 250R Invitational and tag it on to a current race somewhere. What do you think? Let's have some feedback and discussion.

hartwill
12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
A lot of help this is gonna be, but I'm down for either way it goes. If you need any help let me know. I think I'm pretty local to you. I live in Lorain.

C41Xracer
12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
If the 2stroke or 250r thing doesn't pan out look at a bigger picture. A 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Or an atvriders race of some sort. Its just an idea

K-Dub
12-17-2010, 11:33 PM
July 9th and 10th would be the best in my mind as the next race is Unidilla in New York. We might like you said get the mags to stick around for some coverage but maybe also some companys that are not taking thier rigs home between rounds. Derrick you have a pm.

skyeryder
12-18-2010, 03:18 PM
I think a 2-stroke Invitational would be a great idea, but it would also be kinda like shock and awe for all the 2-strokes to show up at the Ohio National and show that they aren't dead!!!!!!

Don't for get about the 50cc kids there's alot of Cobras and DRR's

K-Dub
02-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Any new info on this?