PDA

View Full Version : Serious Turbo Question.....

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Ok, this has been on my mind for a long time. I've always wanted to but never got a straight answer on the subject, so I post this hoping that NO ONE will stray from the subject, and only put forth actual knowledge of "How to install a turbo on a 400ex".

What is the easiest way to install a turbo?

What is the right type? I understand a k03...

The best way to do it on a buget, no building a custom air box or anything wild just a simple turbo setup "How to" guide.

I think evryone will appreciate some good advice and if you got the right answers Ill install one on mine, and hopefully you will to...lol

Im hoping for a quick but detailed description of, this goes here, that goes in this, then you need this for this reason, type of description of the install....

fishnfergie
02-15-2010, 06:30 AM
If building a new air box is "wild" to you then don't even try a turbo...

I know you said you wanted info and Im not trying to be a jerk but from the NOS post and this you just want to go fast for next to nothing, and that wont ever happen...

Search there is an awesome thread on this, I know you need to reference the carb vents to the boost psi (requires a new airbox, and the actual volume of the airbox is supposed to be a certain size. So in short you need a new airbox for it to work but, that is to wild for you I guess...

fishnfergie
02-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Click Here To Read About Turbos (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344994&highlight=turbo+400ex)

ZJTurbo
02-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by fishnfergie
If building a new air box is "wild" to you then don't even try a turbo...

Agreed

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Im not trying to go fast for next to nothing, and building an air box isnt wild to me either, from what I understand some turbos use them and some dont. Most people go out of thier way to do installs and use things that arent really arent needed.

Im trying to cut through the BS and get the straight answers, if you do not need a customized air box then why use one. you could easily just go the other route.

I know that some need a box and some dont, From what I understand your exhaust spins the turbo, then it goes to a intercooler of sorts that pressurizes the air and then the air in to the intake. And from what I understand "IM NO TURBO GENIUS" but from what I understand you do not need to build an airbox.

And the NOS post, who really cares, I just figured for something im only using at the drag strip, and could easily be removed for off roading, it would serve its purpose to a certain extent then be just sitting in the garage, so why pay 600 or 800 for a nos kit. If the $30 nos kit won the drag race it served its purpose and was only $30....

Fast for next to nothing? Ive spent a ton of cash on my quad, and its on par with a stroked 400cc banshee the way it is now....

fishnfergie
02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Read the thread I linked to it explains a lot of stuff that is exactly what you are asking for and also explains why you need to do certain things. It also mentions the benefits of using a correctly sized air box.

It needs to be done right or you will just sacrifice ride-ability and dependability. Then turn in to more money than it would have been to just do it right in the first place.

Believe me I like to do things cheap too. I build many things on my quad and save a bunch of money. But Fast, Cheap AND Reliable usually are not all common factors...

02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
and its on par with a stroked 400cc banshee the way it is now....

A stock port one maybe. lol.

IcutMetl
02-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Agreed...stock port and on a really bad day. What should a ported 400cc shee be putting out...70+hp easy??? I was pretty happy with my mildly built 250r for giving a stock, piped banshee fits.

Good luck with the build if you take the plunge and dig into it. Personally...and this is my opinion...it sounds like an awful lot of cabbage not to mention pain in the butt to do it right, and if you've got the time and money to continually take the easy way out, tell me your secret! You could probably take all that money and build a rock solid all-motor build with all the goodies.

02-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Agreed...stock port and on a really bad day. What should a ported 400cc shee be putting out...70+hp easy??? I was pretty happy with my mildly built 250r for giving a stock, piped banshee fits.

Good luck with the build if you take the plunge and dig into it. Personally...and this is my opinion...it sounds like an awful lot of cabbage not to mention pain in the butt to do it right, and if you've got the time and money to continually take the easy way out, tell me your secret! You could probably take all that money and build a rock solid all-motor build with all the goodies.

A stroked, ported banshee with slightly higher compression on pump is easily capable of around 70+hp when tuned right. Possibly even 75-80 depending on timing, carbs, etc. They're no joke.

Even a stock stroke ported motor is capable of around 60-65 on pump.

There is no way a 440 with a cam is coming anywhere near that.. sorry buddy.

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Stock port no... Drag port, from Trinity Racing.

That link isnt loading the picture's... and that doesnt even answer my question, it mainly just stat's what he has and thing's he did.

I already have a "Rock solid"," Reliable", "Built Up" motor with all the goodies, thats why it's on par with the 400cc Drag Ported Banshee...

My main post read's a quick description of this goes here, that goes in this for this reason, not the cheapest way, on a budget yes.

I know for one setup you need to mount the carb on the turbo and for the other you create a seperate box for the carb, one kind I think is called a pressurized and one is a blow through I think.

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I never said I had the same horse power or speed...I said "On Par" meaning neck and neck in a drag race 1/8 mile and 300ft, I never said I won.

The most he beat me by was 1/2 a length, meaning his rear tire's never passed my front's....

fishnfergie
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Did you read past the first post? He touches on almost everything you need to know including a list of prices and parts.

Have you thought about building the exhaust header? It will be 1000 times more complicated than the air-box...

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2010, 09:07 PM
actually yes, and it will not be complicated at all to fab a header because you just pipe it from where your slip on would go straight to the turbo, you "could" use any type of heat resistant hose to do that.... At most you would just have to make a piece of tubing that was less then 2ft long maybe even less then a foot from turbo to exhaust...you dont have to cut your header at all smart guy.......

IcutMetl
02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you have it all figured out then!

99exrider
02-15-2010, 09:23 PM
^^

shouldnt get all defensive and snappy, especially to the guy providing the links you need hehe

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Im not getting snappy or deffensive, im only replying with the answers to the negative feed back people are leaving on my post. Almost as if I have no idea what im talking about or they think im lying, Which I am not.

I have read the posted link and it is not what im asking for. If the pictures worked it may help slightly, but they do not.

fishnfergie
02-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Got a couple more links. I haven't read through them all but they sounded pretty useful at first glance.

I haven't posted anything negative really except that I think you are under estimating the amount of work it would take to do this correctly and make it dependable. The one guy in the original link said he was going through clutches a lot so it would take a HD clutch also, its little things like that would add up and eat you alive on costs if you were wanting this to be a budget build in the first place.

Link 1 (http://forums.dragbike.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13233&PN=1)

Link 2 (http://members.shaw.ca/lateapex/Blow-thru%20Turbo%20Resource%20-%20Intro.htm)

I realize they are not atv specific links but they are carburetor specific links which is what I think the hardest hurdle is to overcome is the fuel metering ability of the carb.

I have never turbo-ed anything but I have looked into it pretty good for my atv and it looked like it would take a lot of work and money to make work properly.

honda400ex2003
02-15-2010, 10:29 PM
i cant wait to see the turbo on this beast. judging by the adaptor he used on his 450 carb install he will get pretty creative with a turbo. whatever works bro. lol. just kidding. steve

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Hey man, that link 2 was pretty good, it does answer most my questions. It also help'd me being able to describe what I originally meant in the first post..

The draw threw approach would be best, you would not need the pressurized air box....I think thats when you need the intercooler, I have to read it again, but yes, its easier then we all think...

if you get the right turbo, it would have to be small, 14psi or less, if they com smaller? IDK yet... If you got 1 you would have to remove the blow off valve "maybe" its just like a air/fuel screw, supossedly.

Mount carb on turbo, route exhaust to turbo, turbo intake to inter cooler, intercooler to intake boot, oil lines for turbo, and you got a turbo!!!!

Minus a few tunning issues like jetting and pressure in the intercooler.

I think if we put forth the effort to make this simple, cost effective, RELIABLE...lol.., and actually put the right info, even a average joe could install a turbo and with their 400ex can eat the pants off anything not turbo'd.

The next few steps are, what do I need to know to get the right intercooler, the right turbo, and connecting pieces...

From what I understand so far, turbo install kits for cars come with silicone tubing and metal piping all of which the hardware store has... The header pipe can come from where your slip on goes straight to the turbo with heat resistant silicone tubing or metal piping to spool the turbo. Your carb will mount to the intake side of the turbo, then your blower side of the turbo will connect to the intercooler. From that point on it goes to your motor.

The hardest part would be oil lines, most hydraulic line shops can take care of that....

So lets fill in the blanks now...anyone got the answers?

Most of this can be installed with rubber grommets and hose clamps at the hardware store for less then $100.

Any other helpful advice like intercooler or psi regulators?

fishnfergie
02-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah that is a basic list but you will still need stuff like a Low compression piston, HD clutch, it is little things like that is why this will never be a "cheap" build.

And to add to that I could make a turbo work with stuff I have in my garage but it wont look nearly as good as a nicely thought out turbo system. I wouldn't even want one on my ATV if it looked like a six year old put it together with legos.

To route your boost piping you would need at the very least a pipe bender if not a real tubing bender. It would be impossible to make it look nice without bending the tube for clearance around certain things.

In any case this would not be possible without welding and most people do not have a welder in there garage...

02-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Stock port no... Drag port, from Trinity Racing.

That link isnt loading the picture's... and that doesnt even answer my question, it mainly just stat's what he has and thing's he did.

I already have a "Rock solid"," Reliable", "Built Up" motor with all the goodies, thats why it's on par with the 400cc Drag Ported Banshee...

My main post read's a quick description of this goes here, that goes in this for this reason, not the cheapest way, on a budget yes.

I know for one setup you need to mount the carb on the turbo and for the other you create a seperate box for the carb, one kind I think is called a pressurized and one is a blow through I think.

LMFAO Hahahahahaha

That's great.. that's truly great.. a 400ex that is on par with a 421 drag ported banshee hahahahahahaha

Let me guess, in this same dream lt230's were smoking 250r's? And pigs were flying?

I don't know what you're smoking but I want some of it.

fishnfergie
02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
You also cant do a inter cooler with a suck through set up, Without an intercooler the intake charge could be pretty hot and cause pinging and detonation...

Another Link (http://www.mazdarotary.net/turbo.htm)