PDA

View Full Version : lighting issues

EPDP99
02-14-2010, 10:09 PM
working on an 05 450 with some lighting issues. With the quad running at idle the lights wont work but give it the slightest ammount of fuel and the lights pop right on bright as can be. let off the throttle and lights go off. When I unplugged the condensor and tried it again with same results but very dim lights so the condensor seems fine. I checked voltage at the plug for the condensor and had 2.6 or so volts at idle and right near 4 with the slightest throttle. The quad doesnt studder or hiccup in the slightest when idleing or running. Does this sound like the rectifier is bad? What would make the lights come on just off idle and go off when at idle? stator output possibly low even thought with slightest throttle I get all lights and they are very bright?

thanks in advance

EPDP99
02-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Any help greatly appreciated!

EPDP99
02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
UPDATE: The lights work fine without the TPS switch plugged in. So at idle the contact at the tps kills the power and once contact is lost the lights work. When the TPS is unplugged the lights work all the time and at idle. Same with 2 wiring harness. This is an 05 kicker with 09 carb. Do you have to run the TPS or not and what can I do to correct this?

d3ktrix
02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Maybe u wired the TPS wrong when you put the new carb on?

Should look like this.
Harness connector coming from the left, carb connector coming from the right.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/d3ktrix/post-1345-1200369018.jpg

EPDP99
02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
We just bought the quad and had to replace alot of stuff from shoddy work. It already had the 09 stuff on there. The plug is the 2 wire white plug that is attached to the throttle cable under the black housing(right side of carb). The left side has the 3 wire black plug and with that plugged in the lights work. Maybe you can explain what we have to wire differently.

d3ktrix
02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
If I remember correctly, the wires coming off the right side of the 09 carbs on the throttle linkage is to kill the bike when the throttle gets stuck open.

That shouldn't be wired into anything when installed on an 05 bike.
If this is the 1 causing the problem when plugged in just ditch it.
It is probably shorting out ur harness.

The TPS is the one on the LEFT side of the carb when ur sitting on the bike.
The lights work fine when this one is plugged in right?

EPDP99
02-16-2010, 08:17 PM
yes everything works fine except with that plugged in. the wires from the 2 plug have continuity when at idle and open at anything off idle. so Im sure it gets grounded out when the cable contacts the switch to make contact at idle.

d3ktrix
02-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah that is just the safety setup for when the throttle gets stuck open.
It serves no purpose on an 05. It has to be paired up with an 06+ throttle housing on the handle bars to work correctly anyway.

EPDP99
02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
sweet! Thanks!!