PDA

View Full Version : do i need a bigger fuse for my 450r 24v system?

bwilliams450er
02-14-2010, 09:26 PM
I just put a 24v system on my 450r and it cranked over just fine. when it didnt start right away, the batterys started going dead, and when they ran down, they blew the 15 amp fuse. This only happened when they ran down. once the bike started, it never blew a fuse. everything is wired correctly or it wouldnt start obviously. just dont get why it would only blow the fuse when the batterys go low. i put a 20 amp fuse in just to be sure it wouldnt blow as easy. wanted to know if anyone experienced anything similar with their 24v system? and if the solution is to bump up your fuse size because of the extra battery?

fmftrx300ex
02-15-2010, 12:00 AM
well im asuming the use of 2 batteries is quicker starting and thats due to more cold cranking amps 2 battery's equils 2xthe amps and ill bet the fuse wentwhen the battery started runing down because it was heated up from cranking or it was a bad fuse random things can happen

bwilliams450er
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
well, it def wasnt random, cus i blew 4 fuses before it fired. only reason the quad didnt fire and ran the battery down was because i didnt have any fuel in the carb. once i got gas to it, it fired right up and never blew a fuse. started up fine like 6 or 7 times after that. only time they blew was when the batteries got low

Scro
02-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Something isn't wired correctly. You shouldn't be blowing fuses. I would double check your wiring, and don't try cranking it anymore. Your electrical components aren't going to last long if they have 24v going through them.

Did you charge the batteries before using them? Alot of battery manufacturers recommend a slow charge before using.

FYI, with the 24v system, don't hold down the button for more than 3-4 seconds. Any longer, and you risk burning up your starter. Before I converted mine to kicker, I could ride for 3-4 days straight before charging the second battery. And even then, I don't think it needed it.