PDA

View Full Version : big bore question for some one with experience

jamaha
02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
i want to go with a 310 kit for my r and was wondering if i would be ok with the la sleve/pro x kit that sells on ebay for around 250. or should i just spend the extra 300 and get the ers 310 kit? if you have any experience with either please chime in with pros and cons. obviously a pro for the la sleve is the price. but what would i spend in machining cost? the ers is a direct bolt on correct? plz help guys im a complete rook with the r. thanks!

morse250r
02-14-2010, 06:36 PM
pro x is a great cylinder
esr 's new cylinders have only been out a little bit they sell pro x's yet
ct sells pro x's
basicly when you buy it from an engine shop your buying their porting
if you bought a pro x cyl from la sleeve youll get a basic no porting cyl.

there are many companys, people that can port just as good as the big names but half the price.
310's across the board are bolt ons 330's have a bolt on or a case bore option

on trx 250r . net theres a esr pro x for sale cheap !

deathman53
02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd get a pro-x cylinder w/ pv assem, head and get it ported by c-leigh. I have 2 lrd pv cylinders, expensive, but worth it.

jamaha
02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
isnt the pv pricey? i would like to go with the most performane/value combo. money is a factor of this build. if i go with the pro x would i deff need to get a port job?

deathman53
02-14-2010, 07:25 PM
a GOOD port job, cool-head w/ 18 or 19cc dome, cr gasket, good pipe, reeds and carb will do alot for your motor. If money is tight, get your cylinder ported and complimenting mods to your motor. It will transform your motor. I know, I had a good ported stock cylinder 30 over, cool-head, 38 a/s, atc5 pipe and v-force reeds, it ripped. I got a 330 later, took it off later in favor the stock ported cylinder. Then got the 295 pv and it was alot better(@ a cost of $2200). A 295 isn't all its talked up to be, alot depends on the port job, pipe, reeds, carb, ignition(cdi, cr system, timing, etc) and compression of the motor.

I sold that cylinder to friend of mine, several other people rode his atv(trike) and couldn't believe the power it had, especially for a stock cylinder. He had a 38 a/s, v-force reeds, fmf pipe(kinda crappy), stock ignition and a stock cut head w/ cr gasket. For a joke, I put in my cr ignition, cool-head and pipe, to make it very similar to how I had it, the disbelievers were even more shocked on how fast it was. Its all about motor mods working with each other to make the whole thing work, just a big bore cylinder won't do all too much, you need to look in the bigger picture. What motor mods do you have now??

morse250r
02-14-2010, 07:31 PM
yes carb elctric pipe all play a huge role trx 5 i run on a 310

but power valves are designed for top end use

jamaha
02-14-2010, 07:34 PM
i currently have a 38 airstyker and sparks mx pipe. how would this be with the esr 310?

morse250r
02-14-2010, 07:35 PM
38 a/s is where its at pipe .. it would work ive always run esr pipes

deathman53
02-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I find the powervalve make the motor smoother and lessen the hit. You can adjust a powervalve for how you want it also, I can change mine from a 2 stroke tractor to a drag ported motor. I set mine more toward the tractor mode(putting more pressure on the spring), its smoother, less hit, less tiring and more traction. Sand, drag and hill guys don't use a pv, all they use is top end. Typically, a pv motor is ported to a higher rev spec, not quite drag porting and the pv changes the exhaust roof, width and timing to make the low end.

morse250r
02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
interesting.. never owned one just heard the stories sounds like you have the tuning down !

LONG-ROD
02-15-2010, 05:29 AM
yes carb elctric pipe all play a huge role trx 5 i run on a 310 but power valves are designed for top end use

power valves do nothing for top end.. Im a little confused. I thought he was asking if he should put a L.A. 310 sleeve in his stock cylinder.. If so I would go with the esr. with the sleeve you will $100 or more in machine work depending where you go.. less room for water flow, so in my opinion race fuel is a must. and you will need special head gasket, and sealing it could be an issue with high compression to run the race fuel.

machwon
02-15-2010, 05:38 AM
The $600 ESR 310 is cheaper to build than a stock resleeved motor with good porting $450 plus sleeve/piston kit if I was doing the work. Just to much labor in the resleeving, porting and head mods needed to do it right. Once its done right though, the stock resleeve will run better, look stock. If you can stretch a couple hundred extra and do the bottom end yourself, just be done with it and buy the 350 topend for $800. Any cylinder you buy off the shelf can benefit from more porting, here's another $150-200, but you can always do that later to stay under budget.

LT80
02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
"but power valves are designed for top end use"
Power valves are to get the best of both worlds.
Good bottom and good top. A stock ported cylinder looses low end. The more the porting the less bottom end. The PV lowers the exhaust port for low end then at a certain rpm, the PV pops up and raises the exhaust port for top end.

Now to answer the question, My stock cylinder with the 310 sleeve/kit put in, IMO, would give you all you need. I loved mine. Mine was done by Chris Grissom (Suzuki of Paris Tenn.)
FYI: a 310 is only 300cc's on final bore. 1st bore is 292cc's.
Like mentioned, C-leigh does good work.

The Pro-x cylinders and the PV's are great, but expensive.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-16-2010, 10:06 AM
You know, IT sure is good to see ol LT80 back over here in the 2 smoker section.

Jack, check you PM.

Machwon for the most part has it right because of the cost involved.
That kit your looking at might be cheap, but most shops that install sleeve's charge 180.00 labor & thats only installing it & matching the ports up, but it will be ready to bolt on.

Now a stock TRX jug , big bore 295, can be made to run good with the right porting & far as the head & gasket deal with it leaking coolant, a good coat of Three Bond #1211 sealant will fix that right up.

For the money though, those new ESR cylinder kits, their cylinders, you cant beat the price they are offered at.

Heres some of the differences between a stock TRX big bore jug & a Pro-x or ESR cylinder.

Pro-x or ESR jug,
holds more coolant than a TRX stocker,
port layout is angled better & bigger transfers to promote more flow,
head, it is larger so it will hold more coolant as well than a TRX stocker & you can change out the dome to what ever CC your wanting,
The Pro-x & ESR jugs are thicker cast than a stock TRX jug so that means more work can be done on the inside far as porting & such.

Another thing about the Pro-x or ESR jugs, providing where the head studs are located in the cylinder casting, you can take like a 265 cylinder & with some machining, change it to a 310 bore or a 310, change it up to a 330 bore.
The 330 you can go to a 350 bore.
this is providing the head sutds are located in the right place in the cylinder casting.
Thats something you cant change on a stock TRX jug, not without a lot of machining so your limited to the 295 big bore & thats it.
Neil

02-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Neil, you better update your signature!

C-LEIGH RACING
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 8686
Neil, you better update your signature!

Yes, I think its time.
Any suggestions for what I might need to add.
Neil

2-330s
02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
2 stroke sounds. lol that was a good bit of fun

machwon
02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
The newer 350 cylinders now allow upto 80mm on the bore without 0-ring issues. The newer cylinders are claimed to have more coolant, I didn't want to disagree with ESR but I don't think so. I never measured but I think a stock cylinder holds quite a bit. I don't like the port layouts of the older cylinder versions. The transfers are terrible, raised too high all the time and the water jackets are too big from a do more porting stand point. The newer cylinder fixes these issues as they are all casted for a PV, so the waterjacket area in the cylinder is smaller according to my eyes. I think a 76mm piston sleeve in a stock cylinder would be a good idea, I just need a sleeve.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 2-330s
2 stroke sounds. lol that was a good bit of fun

Somebody probably could add that in, but not me.

Heres one of mine, daughters that she won the open class with last year,, WHOOOOOP, bom,,,,bom,,,,bombombombom, thats a 350 & CT midrange pipe with modded silencer.
Ol silencer mod made it bark loud enough, so I could hear it over them dang noisey 4 pokers.
Neil

2-330s
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
where are you getting a 79.5 and 80 mil piston? i was told 79 was it. how can i tell if my sleeve is new enough? it is only a couple years old.

morse250r
02-18-2010, 03:38 AM
80mm is for one of the new esr cylinders if its a pro x jug 79.5 is all you can do