View Full Version : Seat covers

IcutMetl
02-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Bought an N-Style black gripper-style seat cover for my 'R a while back off of ebay. Trying to stretch this thing on and can't quite get it to "lay down" right where the seat curves up onto the tank. Is there a trick to this? Thanks for the help.

jcs003
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
i think a blow dryer should help it soften up.

i just got a new seat cover too and was told a standard stapler wont work. i was told i need an electric stapler.

LONG-ROD
02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
an electric stapler wont work good.. you need a pneumatic stapler. senco makes a nice one. start from the top and work down.. its really a 2 people operation..

IcutMetl
02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Yea I have a standard heavy duty stapler and some stainless staples for it, or an electric with steel staples. Going to see if I can find some stainless staples for the electric jobbie...it definitely drives them deeper.

I have it sitting in front of my forced air garage heater; hopefully that will help some. I hate the look of a seat cover with a ton of wrinkles.

1promodfan
02-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I've heard one way is to start from the back of the seat and work your way forward.

Rich250RRacer
02-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I start by tacking just a few staples at the front, maybe two or three, so they can be pulled easily if needed. Now start at the back, this will let you pull and stretch that cover as you work your way forward. If you pull and stretch enough, you'll get the wrinkles out of the dip area, but you can't do this if going front to back. I consider a good job being able to run your hand from one end to the other and not have any more than one ripple in front of your hand as you're moving it along. Any more than that and you're too loose.

LONG-ROD
02-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Rich250RRacer I start by tacking just a few staples at the front, maybe two or three, so they can be pulled easily if needed. Now start at the back, this will let you pull and stretch that cover as you work your way forward. If you pull and stretch enough, you'll get the wrinkles out of the dip area, but you can't do this if going front to back. I consider a good job being able to run your hand from one end to the other and not have any more than one ripple in front of your hand as you're moving it along. Any more than that and you're too loose.

well I guess I got lucky.. lol.. now that I think about it for a few, your right the back should be done first.. I tried the ripple test and not even one ripple. hope I didn't get it to tight.. I didn't use any heat, just a roll method.. looks great..

unit32
02-14-2010, 06:29 PM
I tried every staple gun and staple made and it was still a b*ll buster so I used small 1/4 long screws. A friend suggusted it and at first I was hesitant to try it because I figured the screws would poke through and jab me in the leg but surprisingly they haven't. I started from the back and worked my way up to the front and it came out nice and smooth