PDA

View Full Version : Repainting the frame?

Redram
01-23-2003, 07:16 PM
I am rebuilding an abused 400ex that I got from my buddy for a heck of a deal right now. I'm going to tear the entire bike down and rebuild it so it'll be good as new. That includes repainting the frame. I know i'll need to sand off the old paint, but can anyone offer any other advice on painting the frame, and what kind of spray paint I should use? Thanks!

01-23-2003, 11:29 PM
My friend has a kx100 and got some PJ1 kawasaki green frame spray paint and it it very shiny and very durable. Go to a dealer and find any color that you want. Make sure that the tempature isnt cold b/c tempature effects how paint dries. Post some pics of the 400ex if you can.

muff
01-24-2003, 08:52 PM
i used PJ1 frame paint on my 300ex, heres a pic

Redram
01-25-2003, 03:15 PM
That paint looks awesome, where'd you get it?

muff
01-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Redram
That paint looks awesome, where'd you get it?

you can get it from your dealer, mine had it in stock, or you can go to www.rockymountainatv.com its PJ1 frame paint

Redram
01-25-2003, 04:44 PM
I've been thinking about it and I think I'll just take it down to the autobody shop and have someone paint it down there. It's too cold up here right now for me to paint my own frame because I don't have a garage to do it in. I'll be working in my container in the back yard. I could put a space heater in there to keep it warm, but there's no way i'm going to be painting in there! heh

stocktires
01-26-2003, 03:35 PM
If you've got the extra $ I'd say Powdercoat it, but paint is fine. Make sure and keep paint out of all the places a bearing sits or bolt goes it and make sure to put a good thick coat on the bottom of the frame also!

BrianWrightR6
01-28-2003, 02:45 AM
Put plenty of clear on it also, more protection and it looks slick as a minnow’s wiener.

http://www.state.ia.us/dnr/organiza/fwb/fish/iafish/minnow/crch.gif

speedy400
02-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by BrianWrightR6
Put plenty of clear on it also, more protection and it looks slick as a minnow’s wiener.

http://www.state.ia.us/dnr/organiza/fwb/fish/iafish/minnow/crch.gif
sick but funny :huh :rolleyes:

Brad
02-04-2003, 05:05 PM
lol ive never seen a minows weiner

BrianWrightR6
02-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I haven’t either but I bet it is slick.....

LOL

Brad
02-06-2003, 02:42 PM
lol

Brad
02-06-2003, 02:43 PM
i know a kid who would go look though

ill ask him 2morro

wgbanks
02-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Powder coat!!!!

luvmyex
02-07-2003, 06:36 PM
I dont want to see a minnows weenie!or any other one for that matter

tants
02-10-2003, 11:05 AM
screw spray paiting. do it right of dont do it all!

powdercoat it!!

o ya...have fun sanding down the frame,,, it suks!

muff
02-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by tants

o ya...have fun sanding down the frame,,, it suks!

lol yes it does, i know first hand, about halfway thru i was wonderin y i ever started in the first place

Teufel
02-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Powder Coat........you won't regret it

anywhereEx
02-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Just hope you do not run into any rust on mounts on the subframe. I did after I got the subframe stripped down then I just took everything to a machine shop and had them sandblast it..

Oh and I had them gusset and Pc everything:devil I get it all back tomorrow

bklyn400ex
02-12-2003, 01:11 PM
get some POR15, it goes on real nice with a brush, i tried using paint from a body shop, i have a spray gun, it looked nice but it held up like garbage, but lemme tell u dont get POR15 on your skin, i had black hands for almost a month, i even tried thinners and sandpaper lol the stuff wouldnt come off

Stevie-D
02-14-2003, 09:06 AM
uh...do minnows even have weenies?:huh

stocktires
02-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
uh...do minnows even have weenies?:huh

nope (dont ask me how I know that, lol :p )

tants
02-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by muff
lol yes it does, i know first hand, about halfway thru i was wonderin y i ever started in the first place

i did about 2 rails of the subframe area and said screw it,,, im sending it to pappy to get sandblasted then powdercoated

02-15-2003, 03:19 PM
i did about 2 rails of the subframe area and said screw it,,, im sending it to pappy to get sandblasted then powdercoated :huh

toby400ex
02-15-2003, 03:19 PM
i thought that people usually used paint stripper to get the paint off. Im thinkin it is much easier than sanding.:confused:

Ramin
02-15-2003, 05:37 PM
I would deffinetely get the frame sand blasted, or glass beaded. Sanding is going to be a pain. I have never sanded a 400EX frame, but by looking at it it has miserable written all over it. If you don't have access to a sand blaster or glass beader, I would go to the hardware store and get a roll of 1 inch wide sandpaper. I used them in my auto shop in highschool for sanding tubular stuff all the time. They come in a roll, and you pull some out and tear it off. You can then wrap it around the frame once and pull back and forth on it and sand a tubular frame a lot quicker than with regular sand paper. Just my .02

Pappy
02-15-2003, 07:23 PM
i did about 2 rails of the subframe area and said screw it,,, im sending it to pappy to get sandblasted then powdercoated

can do:cool:

zfire_28
02-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Redram
I've been thinking about it and I think I'll just take it down to the autobody shop and have someone paint it down there. It's too cold up here right now for me to paint my own frame because I don't have a garage to do it in. I'll be working in my container in the back yard. I could put a space heater in there to keep it warm, but there's no way i'm going to be painting in there! heh

My local autobody shop wanted about $200 to blast and paint my frame, needless to say I said screw that. I'm gonna have a buddy take it to work with him Monday, and sand blast it, and I found a Shop in Rockford who is going to Powder coat it for $75-$100. (although most places I talked to wanted $200-$250 to blast and powder coat) Powder Coat IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-20-2003, 06:50 AM
now thats a good price ..i can get take care of them for about that price ( well alil more )..but some want way too much for frames

02-20-2003, 06:59 AM
I can do it for $50:blah

02-20-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I can do it for $50:blah
I bet they are REAL nice!! ..:confused2

02-20-2003, 07:19 AM
Oh my bad,,wrong thread...I thought this was a bullchittin thread.. and I garauntee i can lay down more chit than what everyone is talkin in this one.....:eek:

CBW
02-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Oh my bad,,wrong thread...I thought this was a bullchittin thread.. and I garauntee i can lay down more chit than what everyone is talkin in this one.....:eek:

LMAO...........no sugar coating there:D ;)

02-20-2003, 07:50 AM
no doubt,..so now continue..I'll run & get my boots :blah

zfire_28
02-20-2003, 08:26 AM

no b/s, if no believe me give Finish First Powder Coating in Rockford IL a call and see wha they tell you. ($75-$100)
I'll give ya their number on a PM.

CBW
02-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by zfire_28
no b/s, if no believe me give Finish First Powder Coating in Rockford IL a call and see wha they tell you. ($75-$100)
I'll give ya their number on a PM.

Thanks for the PM with the PH# for Finish First,,,,,I guess,,,

but i think i can handle my own PC jobs,,,,,,,,,:confused2

and you say its $75-$100 for this:huh.....there is no way i would do a 2 coat powder (base then clear) with 3 different types of additives for $100

not to flame but ...... LMAO:p

CBW
02-20-2003, 09:00 AM
:huh

CBW
02-20-2003, 09:00 AM
''''

CBW
02-20-2003, 09:02 AM
////

CBW
02-20-2003, 09:04 AM

luvmyex
02-20-2003, 07:30 PM
You and Pappy make me so mad! Now that ive polished 1/2 my 4wheeler i want to get it PC'd.But dont have the money or want that much down time.And every time yall post a pic i want it done that much more.Maybe one day,till then ill just keep dreaming.You two guy do so fine work.

CBW
02-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
You and Pappy make me so mad! Now that ive polished 1/2 my 4wheeler i want to get it PC'd.But dont have the money or want that much down time.And every time yall post a pic i want it done that much more.Maybe one day,till then ill just keep dreaming.You two guy do so fine work.

thanks EX,,,,,,,,its people like you drooling that makes it all worth it..............:p :D

Aint that right Pap;)

Pappy
02-20-2003, 08:21 PM
yep...it means alot...keeps me pumped:macho

but im going broke buying new shoes;) :D

CBW
02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
but im going broke buying new shoes;) :D

well quit breaking the heels off.....LOL

no really,,,are ya that busy:confused2

Pappy
02-20-2003, 08:30 PM
yeah i am.....i was swamped with harley work for the last month....big bike show ....but all that is done...but daytona is around the corner:ermm: just keep an eye on easyriders...atleast 3 bikes ive done are due in there soon:D

and harley frames are heeeeaaaavvvyyyyy:eek: damn;)

i think its funny tho...ive done about 6 custom framed harleys..and the quad frames are built better:p these fellers aint never heard of tig welding i think:devil

i really wanted to dabble in anodizing but no time. also lookin for a new house so time is way short. and the snow aint helpin none...only 10 dayz till the florida gncc and our quad is still in a gazillion pieces:(

its all good tho:D

CBW
02-20-2003, 08:44 PM
I have a bike in Daytona also.......its not a harley......but it turned out pretty cool..........this is one of it not done......but you get the idea...........

The white is a metallic,,,,,,and looks like a pearl

Pappy
02-20-2003, 08:46 PM
sweet!! is that one of the nortons?

Pappy
02-20-2003, 08:49 PM
chit i forgot a pic..lol here is one i did last weekend...all black....i got to see it today in the sun and she was something:D im gonna try to get a pic but draggin that beast thru the snow aint fun:p

CBW
02-20-2003, 08:50 PM
sweet!! is that one of the nortons?

yep.........its just unfinished in the pic.

usualy all the stuff is black,,,,,,,,so the white was fun after so much black........then i turn around and do my frame black........LOL

zfire_28
02-20-2003, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CBW

and you say its $75-$100 for this:huh.....there is no way i would do a 2 coat powder (base then clear) with 3 different types of additives for $100

ru sayn the pc job by Finish First will not hold up? just want gloss black as far as color. please educate me so i do it right.
:confused:

sorry bout the PH#-meant for rico-just tryn to prove no B/S:o

Pappy
02-20-2003, 09:33 PM
zfire im not answering for chris but i will say this on behalf of myself...

if you can get it done for a price that makes you or anyone else happy...go for it. price doesnt dictate quality most of the time. there are a ton of varibles that affect the final price of powdercoating. i myself dont do frames for free...i get paid. if the price doesnt tickle your pickle then adios and have a nice day. i dont get into the my cost is better then yours...ill leave that to the little people.

im sure finish first will do a fine job as will most places. take your money and spend it with the company you choose...this is what makes the world go round:p

CBW
02-20-2003, 09:35 PM
zfire im not answering for chris but i will say this on behalf of myself...

if you can get it done for a price that makes you or anyone else happy...go for it. price doesnt dictate quality most of the time. there are a ton of varibles that affect the final price of powdercoating. i myself dont do frames for free...i get paid. if the price doesnt tickle your pickle then adios and have a nice day. i dont get into the my cost is better then yours...ill leave that to the little people.

im sure finish first will do a fine job as will most places. take your money and spend it with the company you choose...this is what makes the world go round:p

no you can answer for me.......sounds good to me,,,

i get tired of justifying prices to people

Pappy
02-20-2003, 09:37 PM
little people was meant to refer to those that use price as the main focus of obtaining new business...sorry chris...i didnt mean for it to sound like that!!

besides...my garage is smaller then yours so that makes me a little little fella:p

CBW
02-20-2003, 09:38 PM
<,,,,,,,,,i changed that cause it didnt come out right.......LOL i knew what you meant;)