PDA

View Full Version : rich jetting ever since rebuild

jdog75
02-14-2010, 09:48 AM
i have all mods listed below with open air box with kn soon to put on outwears cover. but ill cut to the chase my jettin is so rich my taillight turned black. the jetting is currently a dj155 main 38 pilot needle on 3rd clip and i forget the af screw bc i was just turning it out from what it was at and its almost all the way out.

jdog75
02-14-2010, 09:49 AM
s before i rebuilt it i had a dj 165 main and it wasnt at rich do u think i need to change needle position?

JOHNDOE83
02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
The pilot jet controls the idleing up to 1/8 throttle, the needle controls from 1/8 to 3/4 aprox, and the main jet from 3/4 to wide open...

A dyno jet 155 is equivelent to a keihin 171....

To much smoke may be a valve or rings....

Depending on your elevation you may be too rich, if you do enough searching youll find posts about their elevations and jetting for a setup like yours....

Didnt you run it without enough oil after the rebuild? I thought you had a posting about that.... did you ever check to see if there was damage to any valves or the rings? What did you do for a break in period, if you tryed to break in the motor without enough oil you may have screwed it up.

This should be a good guide line to figure out your problem....
I can put a 220 main jet in mine and not make enough smoke to black out my tail light.

jdog75
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
i did post that post but never ran it without enough oil it was losing oil somewhere in the motor but i switched to a thicker viscosity oil and it seems to be doing better but its been rich since it was built and im still trying to lean it up