View Full Version : pros and cons of different carb types...

jcs003
02-14-2010, 08:10 AM
what are the pros and cons of different types carbs?

oval slide, round slide, flatslide, electron and etc...

im needing an upgrade from my stock 34PJ which i think is worn beyond repair.

02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
What is your setup and what kind of riding are you going to be doing? The size and style of your carb can help manipulate your power delivery quite a bit. I've always been a Keihin fan.

jcs003
02-14-2010, 09:13 AM
im a northeastern woods rider. considering getting back into XC.

XC porting ESR trx6 pipe. stock reed cage with standard boysen reeds. also, airbox with outerwears lid and uni filter.

IcutMetl
02-14-2010, 09:36 AM
From everything I've read, a 35mm PWK A/S seems like it would be a good choice. I have a worked 38mm on mine and at times I wonder if I wouldn't like a slightly smaller carb better.

jcs003
02-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
From everything I've read, a 35mm PWK A/S seems like it would be a good choice. I have a worked 38mm on mine and at times I wonder if I wouldn't like a slightly smaller carb better.

we live in basically the same region and climate. i am considering the 38 a/s. but i think a 36mm would be nice but i would like to know more about other carb types. tuneability, influence on power output etc.

troybilt
02-14-2010, 10:23 AM
My XC build I went with the 35 A/S myself. I had a 38 A/S on there but decided to go down in size a little and help the lowend some. I'm still putting the bike together so I don't have any comparisons to report just yet, but my research led me to the 35 or 36 for XC bikes... $0.02

02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah a 35 PWK sounds like a good choice for some woods riding. You will lose some low end snap with a larger carb. They don't flow the same velocity as a smaller carb. Actually, a stock 34 PJ is a pretty decent carb for woods riding. With woods riding you don't really need the large volume of a 38 or 39 carb.

LT80
02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
I love my lectrons!!
Here's what I did. I called TC racing and got one from him. He sets the carb up for you. Done deal. Plug and run.
I've been at sea level and in mountains and never a fuel mix issue. I say fuel mix as opposed to jetting cuz as you know, Lectrons don't have jets but a metering rod.
I have a 34 and a 38. The 38 is slightly faster. The 34 is great for poker runs and such as it uses much less fuel.
The next Lectron I buy will have the power jet in it for high-sustained rpm's (road riding) LOL

jcs003
02-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by LT80
I love my lectrons!!
Here's what I did. I called TC racing and got one from him. He sets the carb up for you. Done deal. Plug and run.
I've been at sea level and in mountains and never a fuel mix issue. I say fuel mix as opposed to jetting cuz as you know, Lectrons don't have jets but a metering rod.
I have a 34 and a 38. The 38 is slightly faster. The 34 is great for poker runs and such as it uses much less fuel.
The next Lectron I buy will have the power jet in it for high-sustained rpm's (road riding) LOL

what does a lectron cost? i hear they are quite pricey. i will check their site.

LT80
02-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I think it's like most products. Competitevly priced.
Please don't quote me, but I asked Tom a while back and I think it was like 380.00
I know there are some very expensive carbs out there.
Better call Tom. Like I said, he sets them up for you. That's worth hundreds to me not having the aggrivation of trying to jet IMO. :)

tcracingengines.com

jcs003
02-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by LT80
I think it's like most products. Competitevly priced.
Please don't quote me, but I asked Tom a while back and I think it was like 380.00
I know there are some very expensive carbs out there.
Better call Tom. Like I said, he sets them up for you. That's worth hundreds to me not having the aggrivation of trying to jet IMO. :)

tcracingengines.com

i checked their site and some things arent working. but $380 is a bit expensive. but it would be nice to have.

LT80
02-14-2010, 11:38 AM
"You will have to tune it some. Just my .02"

The only adjustment after TC sends the carb is:: turn the metering rod 1/4 either way. And that's for the idle. :)

I'm sure that the 30 years of experience helps him.
A quote from Tom:: "I live lectrons".

I understand that 99% will disagree and with other carbs rejetting is the norm. :)

86 Quad R
02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
as mentioned the smaller carbs are the ticket for woods type riding/racing. i've had the oppertune to play with all the different carbs and have found that the round slides will work best but will cancel out sooner and are best for stock porting, the oval slide is next and will have a good lowend, performs well with stock to mid porting and will have a lil rev. the d-slide carbs will have good pull through the entire rpm range and will work good with stock to upper mid porting although the a/s versions tend to work the best in lower rpm's due to the builtin air fins. all my testing was done on a 87 engine that has 200psi engine been ported with a goed play port, cr reed cage/boot and an old fmf woods/torque pipe and the quad geared for woods/xc riding. hope this helps:cool:

jcs003
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
thanks everyone. i think i am leaning towards the 35 a/s. now i just need to find one at a reasonable price. any suggestions??

IcutMetl
02-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I would say either ask around on here or keep an eye out on ebay. I was able to pick up my 38 a/s for right around 100 bones in good shape.

jcs003
02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I would say either ask around on here or keep an eye out on ebay. I was able to pick up my 38 a/s for right around 100 bones in good shape.

i looked on ebay. i was bidding on a nice 38 a/s, but dropped out cause the advice i got made the 35 a/s more for me. it may also be cheaper. i assume less demand for it.

troybilt
02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
thanks everyone. i think i am leaning towards the 35 a/s. now i just need to find one at a reasonable price. any suggestions??

Try the banshee sites, the 35 A/S is a common upgrade for Banshees. On the ESR site they are even listed under the Banshee stuff, if you want new... I got lucky and found someone on the other 250r site parting a 250r with one and got mine.

250rPRIDE
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
as others have said. i would call up Tom at TC and get the lectron, if you want a worry free and awsome hitting lowend carb hes the guy to get one from. tom is a great guy and he knows his 250r's he built several for many pro riders and still does, but he had to go the the 450 4 poker world just to say above water. anyways i have rode 2 different r's with his lectron carb set up on them and wwwooowwwwwwww! i dont run one myself because i am more of a top end guy and run bored 39's.
anyways if your looking to save a buck go with the 36 as. but you wont be sorry if you go with tc, give him a call and go from there.