PDA

View Full Version : I need new back tires. Suggestions?

11-25-2001, 09:23 PM
I blew out one of my back tires this past weekend, so now I am beginning to shop around. I do mostly trail riding, get down in the mud, climb big *** hills, you know the usual. What tires do you guys recommend? I was looking at Maxxis Razr. Any info is appreciated.

thanks

BANSHEEadam
11-25-2001, 09:35 PM
That's what I have and I really like them. I don't think I would try any serious mud-bogging with them, but they've done good in anything I've put them through. The tread pattern is wider than holeshots, so they won't clog up with mud as easily. If you ride more in dry dirt than anything else I think I would go with the holeshots. They will give you more traction in the really dry stuff. You could go for something like all trak or sur trak, or dirt d's they're good for trail riding.... sur trak and dirt d has a good mud tread. Think about what you'll be doing the most of, and decide from that. I don't think razrs will let you down, though.

11-26-2001, 05:40 AM
I say get teh 18 inch Turf Tamers With nacs grooving I had them for a while until i ran over a spike strip that a nieghboor put down. BUt the tamers are teh best for hard surfaces and deff. won't let you down in the mud or on the hill. I ride during the winter and they worked great they wouild rip so bad. My new set is in the mail right now i orderthem the other day. Peace

crday98
11-26-2001, 11:22 AM
get maxxis all-traks.they have an advantage over most other tires in the mud and snow and have equal,if not better, traction on all other surfaces and they last forever.;)

Scott
11-26-2001, 12:51 PM
Personnally, I prefer the holeshots to the razors. For riding in the woods, I think the holeshots hook up better on rocks and roots than the razors do. After looking at the guys quads I ride with, we have 2 guys that run razors, and the other 5 of us run holeshots. 4 of them run the 6 ply XC 20-11x9's and I prefer the 22 inch XTC's. As for the comment about the razors cleaning out better than the holeshots, I've never seen anyone turn holeshots slow enough to get them to pack up where razors didn't. The holeshots have lasted longer then the razors too. We get a season or more from the holeshots and the other two buy razors at least once a season, twice this year. After a year and a half, my 22inch XTC's need replaced. My friend got razors in May and in October.

11-26-2001, 07:06 PM
DO all of you guys ride the same amount and have the same quads ? JW cause I've heard people bash tires cause they didn't last too long EXAMPLE. Holeshots lasted longer on a my quad then my friends turftamers. Now the guy with the holeshots could ride a 300EX and the guy with the tamers ride a 250R or a banshee (something that is ALWAYS spinning the tires) what I'm trying to say is you can't really compare the tires unless you have the same machine with the basically the same mods.

Personaly I dont like the Holeshots too much on my 250R, they seem to ware fast and don't hook up too well. I recently got my Ohutsu Radials tubed and now I get alot more traction with them, VS the Holeshots. BTW the Holeshots were about 1/2 to 1/4 in shorter then my Radials so i doubt that made any difference.

400exRacerX
11-26-2001, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by TRX0220
I say get teh 18 inch Turf Tamers With nacs grooving I had them for a while until i ran over a spike strip that a nieghboor put down. BUt the tamers are teh best for hard surfaces and deff. won't let you down in the mud or on the hill. I ride during the winter and they worked great they wouild rip so bad. My new set is in the mail right now i orderthem the other day. Peace

Grooved tamers for trails?? Thats the first I have heard of that one. I would go with razr's, holeshot XC or XCT, or maxxis all-traks. They all work good in the trails, mud, and snow.