PDA

View Full Version : 00 500 sportsman turning problem

to-much
02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone can help.I plowing snow the other day and on my way home my machine started to pull really hard to the left,i pulled over and took a look at it and found nothing wrong that i could see so i took it out of 4 wheel and it did the same thing so i limped it home and it started to make a noise in the front right wheel.When i got it home i raised it up and found the right wheel was a little tight so i pulled the spindle cap off and found the cotter pin had been sheared of,i a loosend up the casle nut and installed a new pin and all seems ok.My concern is that my wife drives this also and when this pulled to the left real hard it almost sent me for a ride,any info on what could have caused this would be great,i just want it to be safe for my wife and myself .THANK YOU

gen3usa
02-13-2010, 11:57 AM
you might want to check the hub fluid level, it sounds like it stayed engaged in 4x4, one side free spin and the other went engaged. yes many have had this issue and it seems that many have found the fluid level low or bad fluid in the hub, could be time for a fluid change. just some thoughts!

to-much
02-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info.i will check that out,i did notice a burning fluid smell. what fluid do you recommend,i did notice a fill plug on the hub,should that be filled to the top?i am new to the utility quads.

gen3usa
02-13-2010, 02:09 PM
from what i recall, its seems you should be able to drain it and then refill up to the threads of the hub plug.

to-much
02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
You were correct,pulled the plugs on both sides and no fluid, just trying to find out if regular gear oil will work,Thanks for your help

backlash
02-16-2010, 08:44 AM
use polaris "on-demand" hub oil. regular gear oil will cause problems as well.