PDA

View Full Version : rebuild shocks or get new one? need opinions

muddymess
02-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I finally got my truck sold so I have some money to throw into the suspension end of my XC build. Right now I have works triple rate steelers that I got off ebay on the front and a stock rear. Im trying to figure out what rout I should take.

First rout would be send my works shocks out to get rebuilt and setup for my weight. I would also add a remote resi on the front and have the rear modified.

The second rout I could take is accept the elka sponsorship contract I have and get a small discount and buy some stage 2 shocks. I would still have to send my rear out to get rebuilt and modified by someone.

Now other then the stock front shocks I have never ridden on anything else so I have no idea if going to the elkas would be worth it.
Another thing is that I looked at works website and it seems that after parts and hr service charges I would end up paying several hundred dollars on getting the shocks rebuilt. So would it it really be worth all that when i could spend a few more hundred and get brand new ones by elka?

I really need some help because Iv never done anything like this since I just got my R last year.

I'm also waiting for an email from GT Thunder since there not that far from me and there a sponsor of the race series I go to.

MossboysRacing
02-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I used to have the same works shocks you have. I contacted a Very good shock rebuilder ( i wont metion a name) to set up my works shocks for my weight and ridding style, and add resivors. I was quoted 550 bucks. not worth, it. I just bought LT Axis for 475 used and had them rebuilt.I ended up selling my shocks on e-bay, taking the money i made and put it towards my axis. If you have some sorta deal with Elka, i would go that route.
If you decide to keep the stock rear, have it rebuilt by pep or ballwin. They do good work on stock rears shocks, IMO.

Ive been racing XC for 8 years and have ridden more than a few suspension setups on many diff bikes. Standard travel elkas will go a long way in XC before you find there limits.

muddymess
02-13-2010, 10:05 AM
yea see 550 bucks just seems too high for shocks that I only payed 100 bucks for. For about 70 more bucks I could have elka set up some stage 2's with resi's any way I like.

From what I see on the internet works steelers are more like the budget shock and elkas are the more higher end so I would think there would be a night and day difference. elka says on there site that the stage 2 "aren't optimized for competitive use" but that seems like its just because it lacks all the adjustments. This is only my 2nd year riding and Im not going to know how to adjust them anyways so its no big deal.

The poeple that have ridden my bike now don't know how I ride for 2 hours with it. Just a ride down the field and they say its way to harsh of a suspension.

MossboysRacing
02-13-2010, 02:19 PM
i agree with what you say. My buddy has those elkas on his 400ex and it handles good, and they are a good investment for the money. The ride will be 10 times better than the works were.

muddymess
02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
just got a quote of 740 to rebuild and set my shocks up to my weight. Thats for all 3 but those new elkas are looking better and better every day.

skyeryder
02-15-2010, 12:00 PM
ebay the fronts you have and get the Elkas you'll be money ahead for now and resale later, on the rear give GT Thunder a call especially if he's a sponsor of the series you race, we all need to help the ones that sponsor our race series, plus he does great XC work since that's what they kinda specialize in. my .02

D Bergstrom
02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Do you have a standard travel front end or long travel? If you have a standard travel, I will soon be selling the standard travel Elka shocks off my 250R. They are compression and preload adjust. Not sure what your weight is, but if you are interested, send me a PM.

Doug

muddymess
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I have standard travel but the only reason I'm thinking of going with elka is because i can get a good deal on them and they would already be set up for me.

If i got a set that wasn't set up to my weight (160) or XC style of riding i would kind of be in the same situation I am now.

D Bergstrom
02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by muddymess
If i got a set that wasn't set up to my weight (160) or XC style of riding i would kind of be in the same situation I am now.

Yeah, that is why I wondered what you weighed. Mine would need to be reset up for you, I am 225, same issue as you are at now.

I would get the Works shocks rebuilt/revalved/resprung if it was me, I think they would work better then a set of "out of the box" Elka's. Elka is not real great at gettting the setup perfect on a set of shocks. Don't get me wrong, they are a improvement, but even the Elka's will work better if you get them revlaved.

I have owned three sets of Elka's on various quads through the years. I have sent every set to be reworked and got a much better ride out of them. That is why I would say have the Works shocks rebuilt and setup for you, I think they will work better, plus be a little cheaper it sounds.

Doug

muddymess
02-15-2010, 05:57 PM
well thats the thing its not really cheaper. Im looking at it like this right now.

Works
Off Ebay $100 + rebuild $740 = $840
resell 100 probably

Elkas
New stage 2's $620 + $100 rebuild rear shock = $720
resell 500 maybe

muddymess
02-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Okay after a lot of reading iv come up with another idea.

What do you guys think of just getting 450r oem shocks and having gt thunder shorten them to the 250r length and set them up for me.

it seams that getting gt thunder to set up my shocks would be the best idea but i don't want to wast the money on my cheap works. The elkas i was thinking of getting only have preload adjustments but the 450r shocks have preload, compression, and rebound and i could get them relatively cheap.

Doing it this way seems to be the best of both worlds while staying in my budget.

muddymess
02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
noone has an opinion on this?

ballzdeep38
02-25-2010, 07:37 AM
there are aklot of guys who sau the GTT rebuilds are awesome and well worth the money. there was even an article in Dirtwheels there they compared the GTT rebuilds for a YFZ to stock and said it wasa huge improvement. then they compared them to the top level (i think) HLS shocks and said they HLS shocks were a better setup but the cost was quite a bit more. i personally have 450R shocks in stock form on my R and like them so far for the $100 investment.