PDA

View Full Version : about neck brace

sykoz
02-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey guys i was checking some alpine stars neck brace on ebay and they are selling for about 600-700$ and i found this 1 : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110471937915&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT which seems to be the exact same thing for 300$ only. So i was wondering is there something i dont understand.. i mean are they similar or theres something different with the 1 at 700$ ?

slightlybent47
02-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Not to say it’s not as good as the Leatt but you get what you pay for. That one doesn’t look like it would hold up very well. Looks fragile but it may be fine. That’s something I want to hold in my hands before I make that call.

Stiles86
02-13-2010, 03:52 AM
i just bought the bionic and i have no complants about it it fits great...ive never worn the leatt so i cant give you a comparison... they make 2 diffrent braces the cheeper one isnt made of the light weight materials and such

sykoz
02-13-2010, 05:54 AM
okay thanks for the infos.

did u bought the 'cheap' one stiles ? coz i probably would buy this 1 and i would like to know if its great even if its not made with the lightweight material as u said.

mjc597
02-13-2010, 06:43 AM
i wear a leatt brace. but i have the mid-priced one. the main difference between the 3 leatt braces from what i've seen and heard is the adjustability for each model differs from the other. that alpinestars will probably work fine for you if thats what you want. i've seen a few guys wearing them and they look to be built very well..the main reason i bought the leatt is because at the time a-stars only had the $700 model..n i couldn't afford that!!

Stiles86
02-13-2010, 07:49 AM
i think it fits fine, quality is top notch... you can completely take the bionic apart for cleaning wich i really like, the price aint bad just dont plan on wearing your chest protector with it i like it... try one on befor you but it..

KXRida
02-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Much nicer design than the leatt. I ditched my leatt for an Astars brace. A lot more comfortable. The brace itself keeps a much lower profile on the shoulders and has almost zero rider interference.

eastside 400
02-13-2010, 09:02 PM
the cheaper astars brace is made out of plastics instead of carbon fiber like the $700 one, i have the expensive one bc i got it last year before these came out, i love it, much more comfortable then the leatt IMO and its not supposed to break colar bones either

KXRida
02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
the cheaper astars brace is made out of plastics instead of carbon fiber like the $700 one, i have the expensive one bc i got it last year before these came out, i love it, much more comfortable then the leatt IMO and its not supposed to break colar bones either

A properly fitted leatt will not break collar bones either. Most of the collarbone fractures are related to ill fitting leatt's.

FHKracingZ
02-14-2010, 07:58 PM
chances are if you crash hard enough to break your collar bone from a leatte your lucky you broke that and not your neck, which the leatte prevented..

The leatte will break under extreme pressure, its designed to do that.

KXRida
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ

The Astars is designed to break away, the leatt is designed to stay together. The only piece that has the intention of giving away is the back fin on the leatt. 9 times out of 10 it's still in one piece.

300ex_#387
02-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
chances are if you crash hard enough to break your collar bone from a leatte your lucky you broke that and not your neck, which the leatte prevented..

This is correct.

FHKracingZ
02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I was told by joe byrd himself that when he was testing with leatte they told him its meant to break under extreme force to the shoulder/neck area. thats just wat i was told :)

slightlybent47
02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I think the bottom line is that any of the neck braces are better then nothing. I have the carbon fiber one by Leatte because that was the only one out at the time. Just from looking at the new lower profile ones that have came out they look like they would allow a larger range of movement and would be less restricting. But in doing so you would increase the chance of hyper extending your neck in a crash. Yes the low profile one would be easer to get use to but would be less protection. And isn’t the best protection what its all about? Right after buying my new leatte I had a bad crash, so bad in fact that when I took off my helmet I had at least a hand full of dirt on the top of my head under my helmet. Best $600.00 I ever spent.

mxpimp2000
02-15-2010, 12:32 AM
im looking for a leatt or a stars brace but not sure which one i want yet, it seems that everyone and i mean every single person thats bought a leatt has crashed a week after they started using it. maybe its leatts bad luck lol i dont want one if its gonna make u wreck lol:D

slightlybent47
02-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Ok yes I did crash after I got the brace, but that was over two years ago and I’ve only crashed once since then. So three years of racing and practice and just two wrecks so I’d say that’s not that bad. Trust me when your fling through the air and in the middle of a crash is not the time to think to your self “man I wish I had put on all my gear this morning”.
It’s like waiting till you’re in a car crash before you decide to put on your seat belt.
Or like wiping before you poop, it just doesn’t make any since.

Get something, even the best has it’s limits but anything is better then nothing.

KXRida
02-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
This is correct.

or you scorpion over the rear member making it like a cantilever effect. The back piece more or less doesn't "break away" it just folds over on itself as it was designed to stay rigid. Not bashing the leatt, I just think the Astars is a better design and a lot more comfortable. I'm glad I made the switch.