PDA

View Full Version : pipe with most torque?

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 06:09 PM
What pipe produces the most low-mid range torque? I dont want to loose any top end either. Since no one has answer this what aobut a supertrapp nd power bomb, or will a hi-flow give more torque?

tprender
01-23-2003, 06:25 PM
The stock head pipe with a good slip-on sounds like waht you want or need.

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Im looking for a good xc pipe that has alot of torque but still enoguht top end for mx racing. What slip-on? and should i
grind the welds? thanks.

1 more thing, will a fmf hiflow header fit any stock slip-on on a 400?

Quadracer5
01-23-2003, 07:11 PM
I found that the Pro Circuit T-4 slip-on gave a big improvment in the low-mid range. And it didn't take away from my top end power either, it felt like it may have even added a bit up there.

Kyle

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 07:15 PM
ok, thanxs, any other sugestions? what about a t-4 on a bomb or hi-flow?

Newbie400ex
01-23-2003, 07:20 PM
You may want to try something with discs in it. From what I have read adding discs improves top end and subtracting discs enhances your bottom end torque. White Bros. E-series or Supertrapp or something like that? This would give you a lot of tuning flexibility.

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 07:22 PM
yeah i know i have 3 post aobut a supertrapp with a powerbomb and what people think and no one responded. so what do you think? or a e series with a power bomb? and can you buy a promeg slip on for the 400, i know you can for the 300 and 250 but i dont know aobut the 400. or **** maybe i should just buy a complete system.

jb400exxx
01-23-2003, 07:23 PM
get a T-4 and grind out the stock headers. it helped mine a lot. a lot more low-mid power/torque, and seems to have added a little bit up top too. it revs out muck quicker than stock, and sounds nice and deep.

NoWingNoPrayer
01-23-2003, 07:37 PM
grind out the stock header? how is this done?

Drtridr18
01-23-2003, 07:43 PM
HMF-just go ahead and buy one and thank me later

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 07:43 PM
you remove your header and grind down all the welds on the inside of the pipe you can reach. If i do it i will rpobably use a dremel.

Dave400ex
01-23-2003, 07:45 PM
TC Racing. It is built for Low End and it's awesome....

Newbie400ex
01-23-2003, 07:47 PM
To grind out the header welds just take the header off and look inside the holes. You will see the welds protruding near the head flange. Grind this out with a die grinder or something. Make it the same size as the pipe behind it. I did it in about 20 min. I also measured before and after. It opened up about .180" (nearly 3/16").

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 07:51 PM
I have heard alot about the tc racing pipe, it goes on a cut stock headpipe right? how much are they? and do you have to cut the head pipe? or is that just wat atvnews said. i alos heard there loud, is tht so. its no big deal to me i usually ride in the wood out in the kiddle of no where in kansas but j/w.

01-23-2003, 08:06 PM
For those that asked,,,DO NOT get the FMF high flow header,,the powerbong will do ya more good..I called FMF and 3 different techs told me the same thing. From what i hear,,the HMF will give you the Bottom end you want with a good price ta boot...good pipes I think. If i were to buy a new full system it would be a toss up between an HMF and a Hetrick system..:macho

Martin Blair
01-23-2003, 08:18 PM
What about the tc pipe? I looked at hetrick, and it is the exact same pipe as lrd, theres no visable diference, the internals cant be that different. On atvnews pipe test they said tc racing had same top end as stock, but good 3hp gains of stock in the 20s and 30s. What about a tc with a powerbomb?

DESDAK4
01-24-2003, 06:55 AM
All of the pipes you are talking about are good pipes. I will tell you I love my Hetricks pipe and it gave me power everywhere over my E-series with the stock head pipe welds ground out. You really can't beat the deal they will probably give you if you tell them you heard it here at EXRIDERS either.

Jay
USAF

BKVIEW4U
01-24-2003, 11:12 AM
the powerbomb is a great header . it is also a stock replacement header. meaning any slip on will fit it . i would highly recommend the procircuit t4 . it has more length than a lot of slip ons and will give u alot of torque with the powerbomb OR the stock header. get T-4 or the e-series is good too .

Steve-o 400EX
01-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Go with a powerbomb header and a WB R4 or a T4.

Dave400ex
01-24-2003, 02:26 PM
The TC is great and does go on a cut down stock header. The powerbomb may fit, but will still need cut down. I didn't notice a gain on top.

optikid123
01-24-2003, 04:16 PM
LRD BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newbie400ex
01-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey don't you know how to resize an image? Sheesh!:huh
I'm running 1280X1024 resolution and still can't get the whole picture in.... (and slow 56k don't help)

MR. HONDA EX'S
01-24-2003, 07:45 PM
I would say get the HMF slip-on, and run a stock grinded header. For 220 bucks can't bet the price. #2 would to buy a big gun race full system if the money in there. I ran a big gun full and gain a lot of bottom end. Also help on top some. This was on a stock motor and all. I did find w/ the HMF that it pulled just has hard, has with the big gun system! And it's a slip on!! JMO..

Good luck with your pipe.

yellowrider
01-25-2003, 07:18 PM
i dont really see a need for a pipe i race 2 people with 2 slip ons and i beat them... every time

my 4 wheeler pulled away each time with or without my 14 tooth sproket...

i dont understand why people spend so much money on pipes when you cant noticed anything....

anyways i am about to get my a white brothers or sparks racing pipe cause i like the way it looks:devil

anyways

Martin Blair
01-25-2003, 07:38 PM
If they had a 14t sp[rocket they would pull away from you, im giong to have a tc pipe and a sprocket, and a k&n filter (need to change sig), jet kit, and outwear, maybe a ignition advace. I hope to gain a little top end and a bunch of bottom-mid range. not that the 400 doesnt have it already i just want a bunch of torque.

13RAZOR13
01-26-2003, 11:15 AM
get the full system SPARK's or LRD's

if you dont have the money then saveeeeee

01-26-2003, 06:38 PM
sparks is always a great choice but i think its more mid to top

bmw500hp
01-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Here's the way I see it...depends on the goal.....

#1 If ya just want some sound good bottom, decent mid and some top, buy a used T-4 for about a hundered bucks, polish it and put it on... with a little semi chrome and elbow grease, it looks like new.......Sound is GREAT. You can also sell it anytime for about with little or no loss..

#2 If ya wanna build an XC bike that is intended and proven to produce a wide usable powerband. Get a TC.....if you start with his pipe,,,you can then get a piston and cam achieving a XC system that you can be sure will work together...

#3 If ya wanna spend a pocketful of coin and intend to build a big displacement motor (440 + ) get a sparks / LRD / Hetrick / or HMF full system and eat beans for the week.

Martin Blair
01-26-2003, 07:14 PM
I think its like option 2, i want a xc bike or simialr to it because where i ride is usualy heavelly wodded, and thers only 1 mx track anywhere near here that i can ride on being 14, but i would alos like to be able to race a little on mx track. So i think im going to go with the TC.

bmw500hp
01-26-2003, 07:51 PM
yeah...you are in the same situation as me...mostly woods and sometimes track...the 14t is the great for woods and I think it's a must if your motor is stock... 20.00 well spent and you get results in 10 minutes!

01-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Ok so if I like beans I should get a complete pipe and silencer :rolleyes: :D

Martin Blair
01-26-2003, 09:17 PM
yeah for the 20 bucks the 14t sprocket is good, but im getting a deal on a sunstar for 7 bucks! muahhhhhhh

bmw500hp
01-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Ok so if I like beans I should get a complete pipe and silencer :rolleyes: :D

Yeah,,and a case of charmin as well,,,bout time you showed up!!!

Dave400ex
01-27-2003, 02:14 PM
I think the Hetricks is the cheapest full system.....

DESDAK4
01-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Let's say least expensive;) I would feel pretty good about putting my bike against a bike with the same amount of mods and a different pipe. I really like it and the folks at Hetricks are great people.

Jay
USAF

01-27-2003, 03:09 PM
bout time you showed up!!!

What you missed me :)

Seriously I think we give more effort (and $$$) into pipes than we should.

I could try to convince you all that even the stock head pipe with any decent silencer will flow more than enough to handle a moderetly modded motor especially with the stk carb, but then I would be making so many people admit they spent a lot of $$$ for a head pipe that isnt giving them much bang for the buck.

Gonna be playing around with some diff silencers soon as the ole megamax is getting kinda tired looking.

I am looking at the graydon (seems to be the identical to the silencer on the LRD system) Super Trapp 4" disc type (the one all the builders liked to modify, and other pipe mfg's try to imitate) and the IDSII cause its a little different.

Have not made up my mind yet and have a few other things I need to do first but untill someone can convince me that any of the high priced full systems will show a worth while gain for XC type use I am just going with the silencer.

13RAZOR13
01-27-2003, 07:41 PM
woods and track is one thing but when your with your freinds tell me sometimes you dont race? if youwant to win then you need the edge and it cost moneyyyyy witer its intake, shocks, carb, big bore motor, pipe,
or headerrrrrr....
? do you want to beat that rapter when he pulls up next to you?

01-27-2003, 09:46 PM
woods and track is one thing but when your with your freinds tell me sometimes you dont race?

True, but if you seriously set up your machine and motor for a drag race it would hinder it in other types of racing.

Drag racing is different in that it is one short fast blast within a certain length of track. Where you want not only the hardest pullin motor but a much higher reving one as well.

One of the street/strip cars I had in the past had such a high gear ratio and stall speed on the converter it would barely "creep" till the rev's were up there.

Plus you dont want to have the extra fatigue of riding a 4-stroke that needs to be drivin like a 2-stroke.

JMHO