PDA

View Full Version : Looking for rebuild advice...

tbrell
02-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Hello everyone. I bought a used 2005 400ex about a year ago, and it needs to be rebuilt severely...

Burnin oil, it's about 5 different colors, and who knows what else it needs. I got hosed :(

What I do have new is an axle and carrier.

About 4 months ago, my buddy hit my bike with his trailer. Not real hard, but enough to make the bike roll forward.

Since then, it has come down with a flat tire. I aired it up to ride it, and it wheelied to the left, even with more air in the flat than the good tire. Would anyone know where to look to correct this problem?

As far as the rebuild goes, I plan on replacing the sprockets, potentially the chain, pretty much every moving joint as well.

I plan on repainting all the metal.

Here is where I need help. I want to rebuild the engine, and am looking for a moderate set up. I was thinking a wiseco 10:1 416 piston and bore, Stage 1 hotcam, and keeping my HMF slip on.

Would this be a fairly compatible setup? I've also heard of people adding 450r carbs to their bikes. Would this help me get a little more power, or would this just be a waste of time and money for this setup? I was also thinking the same about a header pipe. Waste of time/money for the setup, or will I get more power?

Also, I was thinking about porting my head. Is this something I could do with the proper tools? And where could I get the tools for this?

Lastly, My plastic is pretty banged up. I'm gunna try to save some cash there and clean mine up. Does anyone have any ideas for getting scratches, surface, and deep, out of the plastic?

Any help will be appreciated.

Tony