PDA

View Full Version : ATV Studded

4trax67
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
How many of you guys have studded your wheelers? What length, pattern, how many, what kind, how much air pressure you run after you stud them? Any and all info would be great. Thanx.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/4trax67/Roberts%204wheeler/100_8695.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/4trax67/Roberts%204wheeler/100_8693.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r162/4trax67/Roberts%204wheeler/100_8687.jpg

Oz24
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I've never seen it done but who ever did those it looks nice.

Baileygunns
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Rolling that thing around like that will kill those picks... Lift it on a cart or wrap those up!!

I've never ran a quad like that. I've always used screws.. Let us know how it hooks up.

4trax67
02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Rolling that thing around like that will kill those picks... Lift it on a cart or wrap those up!!

I've never ran a quad like that. I've always used screws.. Let us know how it hooks up.

Actually the studs are just fine, it's the concrete that is taking a beating. :) As far as hooking up..............it hooks up like a Saturday night Hooker:blah: Like riding on a roller coaster.:cool:

ATVMX33
02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
how much did those cost you and where can i get some?..haha

Baileygunns
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Are they sled picks? Are you running inner tubes or a sh*t load of tire slime?

4trax67
02-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by ATVMX33
how much did those cost you and where can i get some?..haha

It's not cheap:eek2: check with your local snowmobile shop or online.

4trax67
02-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Are they sled picks? Are you running inner tubes or a sh*t load of tire slime?

Yes these are sled studs. No tubes or anything:cool: Dunked in water to confirm no leaks:cool: While we were studding it I was thinking maaaaaan there is no way these can leak. The way the stud tightens ups against the backing plate and smashes the rubber. I was right and not one leak AWESOME!:blah:

4trax67
02-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Can any of you 450R riders pipe in on this?

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=427589

Phantasm400ex
02-17-2010, 01:01 AM
pretty sick...... props

400exrider707
02-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't use those on the front tires, that's just me. I actually wouldn't use them for anything other than drag racing.

We set up our 450's a few years back with actual picks in the rear tires (not the studs, the steel chisels), and it wouldn't break loose. The only way we got it to break loose was 2nd gear WOT, dump the clutch. But then when it bit, it would bog hard. We could take quite a few sleds off the line, but most would kill us on top end. We ran them on 400ex stock tires (radial designs hold the studs in better, just like your stock 450 tires).

For overall ovals and what not we just use the gold kutter screws.

You need to be REALLY careful with those stock heel guards on there, IMO. I'd get some aluminum ones, or you're running the risk of tearing your leg off.

OnTheGas69
02-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I did the same thing with one of my 250R's and a set of 18" turf tamers, bare ice, straightline traction is nuts. Can't turn that great though haha. I guess if your riding some snow with ice underneath or slushy ice? Or if just don't want to break loose at all, it's great. Nice ride! I ride chenshins with koldkutters or holidays, or paddles and trail fronts with a line of studs. With the lack of snow this year I'm thinking about putting a few short sled picks in front of or behind the paddles on the rear.

400exrider707
02-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by OnTheGas69
I did the same thing with one of my 250R's and a set of 18" turf tamers, bare ice, straightline traction is nuts. Can't turn that great though haha. I guess if your riding some snow with ice underneath or slushy ice? Or if just don't want to break loose at all, it's great. Nice ride! I ride chenshins with koldkutters or holidays, or paddles and trail fronts with a line of studs. With the lack of snow this year I'm thinking about putting a few short sled picks in front of or behind the paddles on the rear.

Paddles I never had luck with, terrible ride and they wear out fast. Maxxis 4-snows are where it's at. Those with some small studs would be kick arse.

OnTheGas69
02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I've had great luck with ITP Sandstar Tires in the snow. I get about two winter seasons of serious riding on them.

4trax67
02-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I wouldn't use those on the front tires, that's just me. I actually wouldn't use them for anything other than drag racing.

We set up our 450's a few years back with actual picks in the rear tires (not the studs, the steel chisels), and it wouldn't break loose. The only way we got it to break loose was 2nd gear WOT, dump the clutch. But then when it bit, it would bog hard. We could take quite a few sleds off the line, but most would kill us on top end. We ran them on 400ex stock tires (radial designs hold the studs in better, just like your stock 450 tires).

For overall ovals and what not we just use the gold kutter screws.

You need to be REALLY careful with those stock heel guards on there, IMO. I'd get some aluminum ones, or you're running the risk of tearing your leg off.

How tight did you tighten yours? We only went till the flat part of the stud was pulled into the rubber. Some say to tighten the lock nut right down till the nut bottoms out and won't turn anymore. But I was scared of possible causing the "cookie cutter" effect.