PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever re-thread the rocker caps ?

Langbolt
02-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Well....I bought this 400EX motor from a farmer.....it came in quite a few boxes.....and is a MESS!!!! I'll upload pics later.

The Rocker cover cap was COVERED in JB weld......apparently JB weld is cheaper than a $12 part ?????

I used a propane torch and burnt off the JB weld! Came of like a dream.

Now I see the threads are CROSS THREADED.....:(

I tried running a M10x1.5 around the threads like a thread file.....didn't fix the problem.

Looks like I need a M20x1.5 or M22x1.5 TAP.

Does anyone know the proper Size ?

Or where I can get it from ?

I'm wondering if HONDA offers a tool to clean the threads up ?

Thanks

fishnfergie
02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
You said it yourself that its a 12 dollar part, a tap or honda tool in that size that you will use once or twice, will be more than that

lester985
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
u can get a cover with arms for 40$ on ebay that would be the best fix

fishnfergie
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh wait are you saying the head cover is cross threaded or the actual cap?

Langbolt
02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes!I'm sayin' the HEAD cover is cross threaded.....I bought the NEW $12 cap and it won't thread in all the way.....and they will SNAP! if you over tighten them.

I've looked on-line and see taps for anywhere from $27 - $58

So I just need to know the correct size.

I'll have to get my vernier out and measure it.

:devil:

F-16Guy
02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I would second the advice about getting a new cover on eBay. Even if you get a tap for $20-30, what happens if you can't straighten the threads out? There isn't much to work with right there, so it's a real possibility. If you get a used cover in good condition, you won't have to worry about wasting money on a tap you'll only ever use once.

riotact
02-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I know its probly not the best way but you could take the valve cover with you to a home center or a place that sells bolts and try to find a bolt the same size and run that down in there.You would have to go slow and easy not to crack the cover.Other then that I would say look for a new used one on Ebay.

m36indiana
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
i had the same problem, i just went to the autoparts store and bought some metric heil-coils