PDA

View Full Version : Writing a paper about the culture of motocross. Need everyones input!

feuerstack411
02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
So I have to write a paper about a co-culture that I belong to for my Intercultural Communications class.

One of the requirements of the paper is to "talk to other members of this group and ask them what they think distinguishes them as a co-culture".

So I need your guys input. What do you think distinguishes us racers/riders as a culture?

thanks a lot for any input:macho

ZeroLogic
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YUuyzQDmjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YUuyzQDmjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:o

Tommy Warren
02-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Its tough to put into words... we share a common passion and we equally appreciate a well designed and built machine. we show our style and individualism through our bikes. just by looking at one you can tell a lot about us. we enjoy the thrill of riding to the best of our ability and then recording it or talking about it so others can appreciate it. Its about hitting the track or trails with friends and family and showing them how talented we are and how good we are at what we do.

is this the kind of answers your looking for?:ermm:

feuerstack411
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
Its tough to put into words... we share a common passion and we equally appreciate a well designed and built machine. we show our style and individualism through our bikes. just by looking at one you can tell a lot about us. we enjoy the thrill of riding to the best of our ability and then recording it or talking about it so others can appreciate it. Its about hitting the track or trails with friends and family and showing them how talented we are and how good we are at what we do.

is this the kind of answers your looking for?:ermm:

yep. That helps a lot, thanks

I actually liked that response so much I used it in my paper. you won lol

muddy400EX
02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
mx guys say words that most people dont use, like "gnarly" sketchy" "sick" and the best "burryaap"
:blah:

we have our own language:macho

SRH
02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
:o moto went metro and quads are still hillbilly

nothing was better than moto culture in the late 80s and 90s, crusty, disturbing the peace... even the racers were more bad *** than now, stuff the guy on the back section, throw down jlaw style...

basically the type of rider has went from a badass tatooed, fist fighting,freeridin, fire jumping, naked girl flashin party animal to some ***gy hair cuts, skinny jeans skater chucks and pink bracelets....

i guess i had nothing to contribute to this thread:ermm:

muddy400EX
02-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by SRH

nothing was better than moto culture in the late 80s and 90s, crusty, disturbing the peace... even the racers were more bad *** than now, stuff the guy on the back section, throw down jlaw style...

basically the type of rider has went from a badass tatooed, fist fighting,freeridin, fire jumping, naked girl flashin party animal to some ***gy hair cuts, skinny jeans skater chucks and pink bracelets....

haha thats true. the mulisha is the only badarse guys left on bikes

jesseweaver
02-12-2010, 07:46 AM
talk about the sacrifice. no other sport will you put 15g into building a quad and another 10 grand into other aspects of racing then only getting 5g out of selling your quad.

and at the pro level, lots of stress. in the NFL probably the top 85% of guys are pretty much guaranteed a contract for next year and dont have to worry. in motocross maybe the top 10 guys (if that) have a guaranteed ride and the other 100 fight for a few spots. even a top 5 guy might not have his factory ride for next year.

quad2xtreme
02-12-2010, 08:17 AM
a big part of what we do is driven by a daredevil gene. In that respect we aren't totally unique because there are other groups who are very daring...but, it is what makes up Action Sports.

http://health.msn.com/mens-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100110512

SRH
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
mx is turning into a rich kid sport

reconmaster
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
mx culture ranges you have your country boys, you have your racers who like to listen to hip hop, you have punk music fans, your metal heads, your comibnations (metalhead, country, punk, hip hop etc.), you have your gear heads who know is in thier bike/quad/sled and you have the guys who just ride them maybe know a few things thats been done and wouldn't know a valve stem froma lug nut. you have your all out riders an dyour conserved guys. you have your riders who eat sleep and breathe the sport and who homeschool themselves to make it thier living somedAY. you hav ethe guys who go to highschool/college and race at the local level. you have your racers who at the end of the day have a few brews and call it one heck of a weekend. you have your guys who have to sacrifice everything just to make it to a race and sleep in thier trucks (done it many times) and you have the riders who live with a disability and have to adapt thier ride, riding style and who just love to ride and you would have to kill us literly to stop us from riding and racing

eastcoastpro20
02-13-2010, 11:20 PM
im sure its to late but....

What True Friends Are
Motocross friends are a lot different than other friends because when you put on your helmet and you jump on your bike, the trust you form with them is like none other, you get to know that friend like nobody else ever could, you will learn to know exactly what they are thinking about without them even saying a word. You trust them with your life because when you are 3rd gear pinned and hitting jumps and they are right next to you and any small screw up could mean life or death for you, that’s when you gain the trust that only motocross could give you and that’s the reason why motocross friends are the best kind. It’s hard to explain but if you ride MX you know exactly what I’m talking about ....

Why we do what we do
Motocross is not a thing that we do to be popular, or make money, but it is something that we do for the love of being on a quad. Those who have never woken up at six in the morning to go get ready for practice just dont understand. The countless hours all of us put in to this sport is not because we want to be famous, but because we love it. You will never have a bigger adrenaline rush than lining up at the gate with 20 riders next to you, all wanting the same thing, to win. We all know the risks we are about to take when we ride, but that’s what makes the sport so great. If there werent any risks involved, anyone could be a pro. All of us know that we probably will never ever be as good as john natalie or doug gust but we try any way. Its not just catching a football or hitting a ball with a bat, it is way beyond that. Every time we go down to the track it is like a family. Motocross is not just a sport, ITS A WAY OF LIFE. Live to ride, ride to live tomorrow... and that is just how it is. dont waste ur life live it....And rember its not a tragady if you die doing something you love

kfx400rider03
02-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by eastcoastpro20
im sure its to late but....

What True Friends Are
Motocross friends are a lot different than other friends because when you put on your helmet and you jump on your bike, the trust you form with them is like none other, you get to know that friend like nobody else ever could, you will learn to know exactly what they are thinking about without them even saying a word. You trust them with your life because when you are 3rd gear pinned and hitting jumps and they are right next to you and any small screw up could mean life or death for you, that’s when you gain the trust that only motocross could give you and that’s the reason why motocross friends are the best kind. It’s hard to explain but if you ride MX you know exactly what I’m talking about ....

Why we do what we do
Motocross is not a thing that we do to be popular, or make money, but it is something that we do for the love of being on a quad. Those who have never woken up at six in the morning to go get ready for practice just dont understand. The countless hours all of us put in to this sport is not because we want to be famous, but because we love it. You will never have a bigger adrenaline rush than lining up at the gate with 20 riders next to you, all wanting the same thing, to win. We all know the risks we are about to take when we ride, but that’s what makes the sport so great. If there werent any risks involved, anyone could be a pro. All of us know that we probably will never ever be as good as john natalie or doug gust but we try any way. Its not just catching a football or hitting a ball with a bat, it is way beyond that. Every time we go down to the track it is like a family. Motocross is not just a sport, ITS A WAY OF LIFE. Live to ride, ride to live tomorrow... and that is just how it is. dont waste ur life live it....And rember its not a tragady if you die doing something you love

i think that would have gottan him an A+:macho

XXX -rider
02-14-2010, 07:51 AM
lol ..^ haha :eek2:
dont forget about the racers with NO balls !!!( but some may say the have more guts & determination than riders with them !) ..women MX racers..do some research on MX girls .bike & quad racers etc...the paper wouldn't be complete with out them ..
like Ashley Foleck & others ,..becoming a bigger interest in the sport all the time

Pappy
02-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by SRH
mx is turning into a rich kid sport

This counters your "Hillbilly" statement. At the National level, Hillbilly and Redneck left quite awhile ago. With Pro salaries into 6 figures and beyond, the average hauler or rig running well over $150,000, it is kind of hard to try and tell folks ATV racing is rednecky.

Even at the GNCC's, you can easily find a C rider with a $90k motorhome and $30k hauler riding a $20k quad through the mud.

About the only tie racing and rednecks have in common is beer and dirt.

02-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
mx guys say words that most people dont use, like "gnarly" sketchy" "sick" and the best "burryaap"
:blah:

we have our own language:macho

ummm no. Try just about every other extreme sport uses those besides burryaap and TBH I have no idea what that means. Never heard it in my life. I'm pretty sure those other words originated with board sports...

JR3
02-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by SRH

kinda like nascar went from a bunch of good old boys that were bad *** now its a bunch of jesus freaks from so cal.

muddy400EX
02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
ummm no. Try just about every other extreme sport uses those besides burryaap and TBH I have no idea what that means. Never heard it in my life. I'm pretty sure those other words originated with board sports...

well sorrrrrry, u always gotta be a smartass and correct everyone to make yourself feel like a badass