PDA

View Full Version : Might Make You Scratch Your Head a Little Bit

LTRracer4
02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
o ring on the oil filter cover got cut and blew all my oil out during a hard moto. I ran the bike untill it killed its self. It didnt really seize, wasnt the same. So i come back the bike still had about 200ml of oil in it, so i fixed the o ring topped it off and tried to start it. It turned over fine, but no dice. So then i pulled my valve cover off and it had jumped time on the intake cam. So i set it right and put it back together and it will turn over, but still wont fire. Checked fuel, put new plugs in it, and it has compression, but it still wont even pop. Even spraying ether right in the intake it still wont even pop. Ive taken the cover back off and rechecked timing and everything is fine. The valves arent tight, and it has compression. All the updates have been done to this motor, so i think the flywheel is fine, although i havent checked it. The bike sounds exactily how it should while turning over it just wont fire. Any ideas? Im at a total loss.

Thanks
-Chris

redrocker
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Check the woof drift key on
fly wheel it could have sheared
just guessing on that motor
don't know much about them

5852jake
02-11-2010, 12:41 PM
If you disconnected any electrical connectors check the pins inside the plug. Mine did the same thing. Turning but wouldnt fire. The injector had a bent pin where the fmi plugs in.

ml450r
02-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Chris,
My bike did what you are talking about once. My PC3 went bad, Took it off and wired stock connectors back up, it ran fine, lean, but it started and ran. I had to get a new PC3.

I would think if it has enough compression to blow your finger off the hole it should fire with ether. Doesn't mean there is no engine damage, but it should at least hit like it wants to start. I would think it is spark, or timing of spark.

Good luck.

I got my Canam back, I am buying another to switch some of the (High performance)parts off of and race this year. I hope I don't have these problems.....:rolleyes:

LTRracer4
02-11-2010, 08:42 PM
yeah unplugging the pc3 was one of the first things we tried with no luck. If the spark is off time how is that fixed? New spark plug wires is about the only electrical fix i'm yet to do. Would that effect it at all? I have strong spark and a good connection on my stock wires still.

BTW all plugs are good, and everything on the flywheel side is perfectly intact.

ml450r
02-11-2010, 08:46 PM
If that little drift key sheered, the ignition timing would be off. Other than that, not sure of any other way the ignition timing could be off.

LTRracer4
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I pulled the flywheel cover today and everything was tight and intact. Everything was very clean too, like it should be.

andiboy123
02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
I pulled the flywheel cover today and everything was tight and intact. Everything was very clean too, like it should be.
did you chech your fuel pump , its working? fuel relay maybe

LTRracer4
02-11-2010, 09:21 PM
ive already been through one fuel relay, but i have fuel all the way through the injector, so i know im good there.

miles Machine
02-12-2010, 02:02 AM
actually pull the fly wheel off and inspect the key i have seen them spin but still be tight on the shaft

ml450r
02-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Chris, you should have a pm.

witech
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
o ring on the oil filter cover got cut and blew all my oil out during a hard moto. I ran the bike untill it killed its self. It didnt really seize, wasnt the same. So i come back the bike still had about 200ml of oil in it, so i fixed the o ring topped it off and tried to start it. It turned over fine, but no dice. So then i pulled my valve cover off and it had jumped time on the intake cam. So i set it right and put it back together and it will turn over, but still wont fire. Checked fuel, put new plugs in it, and it has compression, but it still wont even pop. Even spraying ether right in the intake it still wont even pop. Ive taken the cover back off and rechecked timing and everything is fine. The valves arent tight, and it has compression. All the updates have been done to this motor, so i think the flywheel is fine, although i havent checked it. The bike sounds exactily how it should while turning over it just wont fire. Any ideas? Im at a total loss.

Thanks
-Chris
Your intake cam "jumped time" so you set it right? Not to be a smart arse but I dont think a cam has ever jumped time for no reason other than the engine was in the last stage of destruction and the cam chain was coming loose form wasted crank bearing or broken tensioner. Unless a ds has some weird cam chain issues allowing a seemingly impossible thing to happen. Do you have metal in your oil filter now?

LTRracer4
02-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Well i had a leak so i ran low on oil. The cam chain tensioner is hydrolic. When you run low on oil the chain loses tension.

witech
02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
It doesnt have a rachet system as well as hydraulic to tighten?

DGS
02-13-2010, 05:01 AM
I would check big end, if they run a little low on oil, you could get a surge and big end seize. Check Big end and main bearings... Check valves, maybe with it jumpin out of time, the piston hit a valve. Once they run low oil, could be a few things...
Good luck

ZX11
02-13-2010, 08:32 AM
The valves arent tight, and it has compression.

Interesting puzzle.

Twice you said it had compression. Did you use a compression testor? Air (compression), gas, and spark. You need to find out which you really don't have.

Do these motors let the valves collide with the pistons when the cam isn't timed right?

Do the ECU's shut down the motor when there is low oil pressure? That would be a nice safety feature. If it does, maybe it needs a dealer reset.

yfzracer14
02-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Was it wet or mudy when it happened? If so the PCIII has moisture inside it. Take the back off and dry it. If it was wet inisde it wont start.

LTRracer4
02-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Ive tried it with the pcIII on and off. I dont have a compression tester to use down here, but the bike will be at my mechanics tuesday so we can check that and if thats fine we can throw it on BUDs ill let you all know. Thanks for the help!