PDA

View Full Version : CR 500 engine with counterbalencer? check out the vid!

Honda 250r 001
02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/mart300r#p/a/u/1/dS_jT8TdHGE

Not sure if it works or not, but this dude claims he fabbed it up.

It doesnt look to be very heavy, but has to be much better than nothing! I wonder if you have to mod the side case to fit over it?

woodsracer144
02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
i posted this link on another thread, i cant rember what it was on... and its buggin me that i cant think of it...

destey
02-11-2010, 05:05 AM
can anyone see if the counterbalancer shaft goes to the other side of the motor? I wish he'd show more of it

From what I can see compared to sock cr500 cases I found on google images, he modified the case to include the whole counterbalancer section. The standard case goes from the bolt hole to bolt hole. He added that whole enclosure.

woodsracer144
02-11-2010, 06:37 AM
i dont think it does, i think he had a guy bore a hole put a bearing and a CB in it then made a gear for it to run off then had the case and cover modded for it also. i know that it took alot of time and work. i dont know how it totally works though

Honda 250r 001
02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i dont think it does, i think he had a guy bore a hole put a bearing and a CB in it then made a gear for it to run off then had the case and cover modded for it also. i know that it took alot of time and work. i dont know how it totally works though

I wonder if he will build another identicle case and balencer for someone else to try? Also, his build looks pretty clean... his motor mounts look good and he just looks like he knows what hes doin.. Hell his idea works... i know my next mod... :D

destey
02-11-2010, 08:14 AM
could take it to the next level and make a tunnel to the other side and have a half circle counterweight at the other end, like the 250r. I'd imagine what he did helps, and adding the other side would smooth it out more.

I would think the mount for that counter balancer would be susceptable to breaking, with the localized vibration

derby
02-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by destey
could take it to the next level and make a tunnel to the other side and have a half circle counterweight at the other end, like the 250r. I'd imagine what he did helps, and adding the other side would smooth it out more.

I would think the mount for that counter balancer would be susceptable to breaking, with the localized vibration

He is going to need a bigger counter weight than that. Even though you cant see all of it my guess is that is 1/2 the weight of a stock 250r weight.

Honda 250r 001
02-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by derby
He is going to need a bigger counter weight than that. Even though you cant see all of it my guess is that is 1/2 the weight of a stock 250r weight.

weight isint everything... the 400ex counterbalencer is half the size of the 400ex. The outside diameter makes a huge difference too.

86 Quad R
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
its in the centrifical dia ..... theres a post already covering the subject that

LOOK (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=423374&perpage=10&pagenumber=2)

Honda 250r 001
02-11-2010, 12:37 PM
couldnt you balence the crank to offset the size of the counterbalencer so it would run even?

rustyATV
02-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
couldnt you balence the crank to offset the size of the counterbalencer so it would run even?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft

derby
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
weight isint everything... the 400ex counterbalencer is half the size of the 400ex. The outside diameter makes a huge difference too.

You are comparing an apple to an orange have you ever seen a 400ex crank? If you had you would know why it uses a smaller balancer. Weight has everything to do with it.

destey
02-12-2010, 04:29 AM
I think the basic jist is even though the crankshaft tries to balance out the piston and connecting rod, the piston travels in both directions much faster at the top of the stroke than at the bottom. The acceleration differences is where the vibration comes in. Just a guess though

Honda 250r 001
02-15-2010, 09:16 AM
no one else finds this to be a small break through in trx500 builds???

C-LEIGH RACING
02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
I do, just wish there was more info on what all he did or had to do.

If his deal works, which it will to some degree, but because of the CR500 crank & piston mass a bigger balancer will be needed.

Now, if hes gone as far as having the crank & piston mass balanced, might not need any larger balancer wheel.
Neil

Derrick Adams
02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I was reading on this build on the aussie site and i'm pretty sure he's already had the crank and piston assembly balanced. Just wasn't satisfied with the results.

woodsracer144
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
what are the pros about the CR500 motor, over the 250r aside from the CC's of it?

why wouldnt you just do a hybred build with a trx cases and 500 cyl?

palot
02-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
what are the pros about the CR500 motor, over the 250r aside from the CC's of it?

why wouldnt you just do a hybred build with a trx cases and 500 cyl?

Let me give you one clue, transmission.
Its hard enough trying to keep the 250R trans in one with a 310 cylinder let along a 500 jug sitting on top of it.

Lot of people got big bore 250R engines, but its just a matter of time before something in that trans turns loose.
I realy thinks it was a design Honda engineered into the engine so it would fail.

Nothing on earth will succeed if it is a product you only ever have to have only one of.
Neil

woodsracer144
02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by palot
Let me give you one clue, transmission.
Its hard enough trying to keep the 250R trans in one with a 310 cylinder let along a 500 jug sitting on top of it.

Lot of people got big bore 250R engines, but its just a matter of time before something in that trans turns loose.
I realy thinks it was a design Honda engineered into the engine so it would fail.

Nothing on earth will succeed if it is a product you only ever have to have only one of.
Neil

neil wrong profile! haha!

well what about trans gears and racks fitting in the 250r cases... one way or another this would take alot of work... mabie honda should just come out with a 600 Twin 2-stroke for use... in a 250r chassis,

C-LEIGH RACING
02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
My idea was kinda just like this guy, but what I was wanting was the complete CR500 engine & have billet cases made & incorperate a counter balancer in the front like the 250R engine.

CR500, you got the crank for the big stroke & a transmission you know will hold up, just need a way to get rid of the vibes & a balancer is the only way.

With how that guy has it incorperated, if it worked, all you would need would be the right side case half & clutch cover made out of billet so it would look right.
Got a feeling though, that balancers going to need to be bigger, which would be a larger mass sticking out from that part of the engine & could get in the way of the pipe or something.

The reply above with palot, thats my soninlaw on our computer & he cant remember to log out.
Neil

Langbolt
01-27-2011, 06:24 PM
***UPDATE***

He does a test with a water bottle hanging from the handlebars with * without the Counterbalancer!!!

Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ZM6NxYIkI

mx Eli
01-27-2011, 08:22 PM
i posted this awhile ago and got like 5 hits:( :( haahah but on mine there is a link to the forum where the guy talks about it