PDA

View Full Version : yfz vs ltr

tbru23
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I have a 05 yfz. it isnt a bad bike, its really torquey and has good power, but i was looking for a wider bike but i dont want to loose power. i was considering the ltr. does an ltr have as much power as a yfz? is it worth the extra 500 bucks to change bikes?

kfx400rider03
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
i never rode a yfz but my buddy has one and his was nothing but problems. not saying they all are like that just say what i have expiernced with them and as far as the ltr having power yeah just do the cherry bomb mod and removing the baffle and airbox lid will give you plenty of power imo it is worth it

tbru23
02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
my yfz hasnt given me too many problems, but the person that had it before me didnt take the best care of it so their is a lot of work that needs to be done to get it to where i want it, so i figured it would be just as cheap to just buy an ltr. im just trying to get as many opinions as a can to make the best disicion. thanks

kfx400rider03
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
yea you wont be disapointed at all with the ltr. im still on a stock motor no rebuild and i had mine sence march of 2008 (brand new) and im going to rebuild it in a month just because i feel the need for a little bit more power lol. but it handle so good. i cant ride a quad that isnt wide and lowerd any more. tried riding my buddys z 400 i could but it felt sketchy and typsy riding it same with my buddys 450r and 400ex. never rode my other buddy yfz. but you will be happy with the ltr

tbru23
02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
my yfz has alot of torque so i just wanted to make sure before i get an ltr, that im not going to lose that power.. also, does the fuel injection cause alot of problems and make it a bear to work on yourself?

kfx400rider03
02-10-2010, 08:01 PM
i havent had any trouble with the fuel injection. the pc3 fuel programmers are easy too just jeed to find some one with the same set up or close set up as you and have them send u a map. or you can have ur quad dynoed if you have a lot of stuff done to it and want to to get every last horse power out of it

tbru23
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
im new to fuel injection so is the pc3 the equivelant to the cherrybomb?

kfx400rider03
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
no the cherry bomb is a ug an go unit. its like chipping a car kinda. it remaps the fuel system to run richer(remap basicly means jetting) so sence its runing richer you take the air box lid off and the baffle out of the stock exhaust everyone says it gives you areound 7hp idk if that is true but it realy does wake the quad up. o and the cherry bomb also raises the rev limit 1000rpms

the pc3 is for fine tuning to make the bike even richer when u do a piston cams and all that other stuff butt you do not need the pc3 unless u do internel engine mods. people leave the cherry bomb unit plugged in when they run a pc3 because it is still allowing it to rev 1000rpms more

so a cherry bomb is must basicly and only cost $40 and that tunes the quad for after market exhaust and intakes too.

the pc3 fine tunes and only is required when you do internal engine mods

miles Machine
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
in my opinion get the LTR if your worried about power ive never seen a stock ltr with cherry bomb loose to a stock YFZ or even a piped and jetted yfz.... around here i see alot of yfz's and ppl that love yfz's until they have owned them for a while they tend to even if you keep up on main fall apart very easy..and i work on and hear alot of **** at the races.

tbru23
02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
i dont plan on doing any internal mod for a while, i wouldnt turn the bike into an every week race quad. i just want something that is good for the track, and can also be trail riden. i would probably just do all the bolt on mods to get it as fast as possible with bolt ons. it sounds like the ltr has more bolt on possiblities with the fuel injection then my yfz does

Jim417mx
02-11-2010, 07:48 AM
You will LOVE the ltr over the yfz, I switched last season and I'm NEVER going to ride a yamaha again. My yamaha was nothing but problems, rarley ever finished races... its just like, once you start racing the yamaha, they arent built good enough to hold up. In 2 years I broke 3 sets of motor mounts, cracked 2 swingarms, 3 motors (2 top ends and 1 crank failure), 2 subframes, bent stock tie rods from just jumping, frame cracks all over, footpeg bolts break off, exhaust cracks at the mounts from the stock aluminum subframes flexing, airbox tabs cracking, 2 clutch cables, throttle cable, i can continue..... then I have had my 07 ltr for about 10 months, and all I did was bend the stock axle, and bent the stock rear rims... NOTHING else broke yet, I raced the quad in STOCK form all last season, I loved it, you can race a stock one in A-class no problem. During this winter I recently rebuilt it with long travel fox all around, flexx, precision, everything... i love this bike. And the fuel injection NEVER failed on me once, except for when I didnt notice the low fuel light and didnt have enough gas in the tank and it bogged in the air and i almost crashed at redbud =(

bcapien
02-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Let me just say i have owned and rode them all.. I have owned 660's,450r's,400ex's,and a few others and now i have this ltr 450 and love it.. I have done a few mods but nothing major and this quad has some power.. I dont race but i love trail riding and with this beast i have a blast.. I smoke my buddies 450r and my other buddies 660 with no ploblems at all.. You will like it alot.. I bet you will never want anything but a suzuki after you get a ltr 450

f4iracer
02-16-2010, 09:13 AM
The previous post isn't accurate. Let me just say....if you're going to ride trails i'd stick with the yfz. or the 450r

The ltrs are crap on the trails. They are way too low and they are way too wide to get up or around any type of terrain.

These ltr 450's are race ready quads, they are motocross.

I have a yfz 450 and a 400ex. My buddy rides an ltr and he gets stuck on every damm rut out there! Both of my quads can whoop that ltr on the trails.

If you're gonna be doing any trail riding i suggest you steer away from the ltr, it's terrible in the woods.

y-man
02-16-2010, 09:29 AM
hey f4 how u think an ltr will be for me i ride trails but they r not in the woods they r fast wide open trails they r basically ditches with trails in them the trails i ride are along a little high way and i also hill climb

bcapien
02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
F4 i dont agree with you.. I just sold my 400ex and had more issues in the woods then with my ltr.. I am running 20's on the back and 21's on the front and have no problems at all.. I wouldnt run stock 18's but with 20's i am just fine.. Onlything i do wish is i had reverse. Also a plus for the ltr over 400ex is its wider and i dont need to ride same tacks that are already dug down..

f4iracer
02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
yeah maybe your bigger setup is helping you.

All I know is that my buddy can't hang with us when we are out at the trails, whether it's at badlands or just here at a couple of the atv trail parks, he has trouble in the woods on that thing.

He does have a stock setup though so that might be what's holding him up, plus those things just wanna spin the rear so easy, my stock yfz will eat up a stock ltr in the woods......

LTandRaptorider
02-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by f4iracer
yeah maybe your bigger setup is helping you.

All I know is that my buddy can't hang with us when we are out at the trails, whether it's at badlands or just here at a couple of the atv trail parks, he has trouble in the woods on that thing.

He does have a stock setup though so that might be what's holding him up, plus those things just wanna spin the rear so easy, my stock yfz will eat up a stock ltr in the woods......

Yes, if your buddy's LTR is stock, then it would suck in the woods. As the previous guy said, put 20" tires on the rear, good skid plates, cherry bomb- airbox lid off- and remove exhaust baffle, and if he's a good rider no one will be leaving him behind. Also good to experiment with shock settings. That will make a big diff for how fast you can ride in the woods. I'm 170lbs, found taking ALL the pre-load out of the fronts, and about half on the rear helped a lot. And of course play with compression-rebound settings.

miles Machine
02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
you can also very easily narrow the ltr up a bit

in back if you use the z400 hubs you will narrow it up about an inch each side...you can also simply flip the rims around and voila narrower yet

for the front 4:1 offset rims 2 inches narrower in the front.

simple as that

bcapien
02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Like i was saying 20's did me justice and i am running cherrybomb,HMF complete exhaust,Dynatek fuel system and also Dynatek Coil and open airbox and my bike runs great.. I also did a 13 tooth front sprocket.. I havent been beat in any trails around here but i am not a racer just a weekend rider..

720tobe
02-22-2010, 09:57 PM
let me voice my 2 cents,, i own a ltr,450r,660,yfz and ive had 400s and if you want the power get the ltr and if you want the ride get the yfz or the 450r they get around in the woods alot better then the ltr and i would take the ride of the yfz over any of them just alot more comfort to the ride i myself think the 450r will beat you to death on the trails which thats pretty much all i ride... only down side is they dont have reverse like some of the 400s myself id rather ride a 400 with reverse anytime but you cant have it all only quad that i havent had is the kfx450 so you might check into one of those... If your looking for a all around quad id go with the ltr and change the suspension, raise it up and take some width out of it then you could get around in the woods and woop most all quads out there.. and the fi is so nice just hook the laptob up and down load a map for it everytime you get another mod... and with the carbs ur always pulling them and changing jets........ and the throttle response is 2nd to none...

yfz4504life
03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
i've owned both and i would say hands down ltr. i've had stock in both and modded and both and there's no comparison. i would take a stock ltr over a built yfz probably. the only reason i keep buying them( as you can see in my signature) is because i get them cheap, rebulid them and make a pretty penny. efi is the way to go for sure. and obviously ltrs can be transformed into woods machiches seeing as borich is the gncc champion. in my opinion id stay away from the yfz, suzuki is the way to go. obviously i need to change my profile name as well haha

09RappySe
03-05-2010, 01:32 PM
I agree with F4, I have 20" on mine and yes you can trail ride the LTR but it is not a trail bike, it is meant for the track. The YFZ or 450R are better choices for trails by far.

yfz4504life
03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
he said in one of his original posts he wants something for the track.. go with the ltr dude, you wont regret it

Canadian144
03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I have an LTR and have never been to a REAL MX track haha.... I mostly ride it at my farm (open fields) and at my buddie's mini MX track (just a few jumps really haha).

I mostly ride it in the woods... the trails up near my cottage go on forever, and 95% of them were old logging roads or something, so you could almost fit 2 LTR's side by side on the road. There are plenty or rocky sections (the trails are basically on the Canadian Shield) so that's why I have a full skid plate as well as 20" rear and 21" front tires. The first time I went on the trails, my whole a-arms got scratched up, they are silver on the bottom now haha. Going to get some a-arm guards sometime this week though.

It is a great trail bike for me... even in the more technical and tricky sections it works.

stevestauff
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
i have an ltr yfz and a trx.in my opinion ltr for the woods is a no.2 reasons to wide,and the power is to smooth at the track pretty good but it doesnt have the fun hit i like in the woods like the others.i havent had any trouble with either yfz or trx i have had problems with my ltr though .i added exhaust intake even 1tooth lower front sproket and a programer.it feels like i lost power and its not as easy to find out why.hope that helps.LOVE my ltr just not for the woods.

tbru23
04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
thanks alot everyone.. i finally decided to get and ltr..i got an 06 with low hours and a fresh rebuild. it has a high comp piston, a yosh cam, full sparks exhaust, cherry bomb, nerfs, douglas beadlocks, asv levers, pro taper bars, and some little stuff... this quad rips!! it would embarrass my yfz anyday.. i plan to get some 20'' razr 2's for the rear and put a skid plate under it and try it out on the trails.. it has a non o ring chain and is in need of a new chain.. i dont know if i want to go with a o ring or put another non o ring on.. the only that has me beat is i was riding the track and i was landing everything smooth and then the guy behind me told me that i bent my rear rim.. which is a douglas beadlock 6061 ultimate.. i was pretty pissed... i think im just gonna let it alone because it is not noticable when im riding.. i love this bike.. i have not had any tranny troubles.. but i am dreading the day when it goes since i am hearing they all do. i think im just gonna have and extra set of rims and tires and swap them in and out for the track or trail. thanks for your help.

shane071489
05-03-2010, 11:55 AM
ok heres my 2 cents on trail riding i mainly ride the track my girl she wants to ride trails so when i get done on the track no matter where ive been so far i always ride mx parks ive never had a prob in the woods if you have enough sense to put one tire in the middle of the rut and one on the outside yoru fine... only thing that ever gets me is when it rains and there is mud i hate riding anything muddy...my ltr ONLY gets stuck when it rains you can make it around anything if you try i run 18in mxr6's or w.e. their called ive never been down a trail anywhere that i couldnt fit where i live we ride on rail road tracks and i can fly through 2 trees with liek 3in infront both tires you can tell whether you can make it without a doubt before you try it...so in my opinion if you feel like taking the ltr to the trails go for it but nothing is like landing a jump smooth i still have stock suspension and i dont see how aftermarket could be better honestly i have mine still set stock and man they are soft it bottoms out some but when you land good its smoothest feeling ever

05-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Here is my personal experience. I ride mostly woods in southern wisconsin (90%) and i use to race mx during high school.

Had a raptor in 01 when they first came out. Fun but too tippy obviously.

Graduated to a yfz. I fell in love. I loved absolutely everything about it. Great engine, suspension and after four years rode it into the ground (it was all modded out for mx racing purposes).

Decided to try the LTR and fell in love all over again. After about 2 months I felt more comfortable with the powerplant and feel then i ever did with the yfz and like i said i said i ride mostly woods. I;m pretty sure i am faster with the stock ltr with 20s then i ever was on my modded yfz with 20s.

MY brother still has an 05 yfz stock except for a pipe that he keeps at my house. i ride it from time to time to make sure it is running alright. Honestly, it feels like a dog. After having FI i never want to go back to a carb. The throttle response is instant, but you don't realize it until you ride a carbed ATV again and i just don't feel comfortable anymore on it compared to a yfz.

My brother and i have been riding for 15 years so we know what we are doing, but we have never had problems with the ltr in the woods. First gear is a little tall but that is about it!

Nonetheless they are both great atvs. I'm curious about the new YFZR's and how they compare to the LTR.

IXCR25
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
the 04-05 yfzs where actually 439cc...as to the 06+ being the 449cc's soo your not getting all the power my friends 06 has but he has full pipe motor work, and i whoop him with chry bomb full yosh and sprockets