PDA

View Full Version : Heat gun on plastics.

glatf70gg
02-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I seen this trick on the Power Block on Spike TV. It was on how to refinish plastic interior pieces. It uses a heat gun to reshape, remove stress marks, and how to bring back the shine to the surface. First you clean the plastics, then use varying grit sand paper to remove scratches and to level out the surface. Now comes the magic, use the heat gun to transform the dull sanded surface to a nice shinny factory condition. What the heat guy does is melt the tiny edges left from sanding, into a smooth finish. I used an $8 heat gun from Harbor Frieght. I held it about 2 inches from the plastics and kept moving in a circle until it started to shine. Just becarefull don't hold it on to long, just until it shines maybe 5-10 secs, or you can melt the plastic. The time all depends on the temp of the plastic. Once your done let the plastics cool completely. Don't rub anything against the hot plastics, they scratch very easly in its heated state. When done properly they look brand new. I have done it to my white Fullbore plastics, they came out great. It is time to do it again, since i ride woods alot. Hope this helps some of you guys out that are tired of using different liquids and polishes. Thanks and Good Luck.

dns1764
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
it takes way too much time in my opinion. but heatguns are great for small cracks or melted spots. i fixed a good size hole in my rear fender with some extra plactic pieces..almost as good as new

glatf70gg
02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
when i did my plastics, it only took me about 2hrs the first time. then it goes faster the next time.

94racing
02-22-2010, 08:34 PM
anybody got pics of this i wanna realy see this. i tried it on a fender to my 300 ex years ago and it came out horribly wrong.