PDA

View Full Version : lightend flywheel

lester985
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
im starting the rebuild friday and was thinking about getting my flywheel cut down what is the pros and cons about it

lester985
02-10-2010, 03:08 PM
anybody

Miami_Vice454
02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
it will make you rev out faster=faster accel because less rotating mass. but then you will also stall out easier. so depending on what riding you do would make it either good or not. woods=bad, desert=good.

slightlybent47
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Miami_Vice454
it will make you rev out faster=faster accel because less rotating mass. but then you will also stall out easier. so depending on what riding you do would make it either good or not. woods=bad, desert=good.

I’ve herd the same thing, it will stall out in corners, and I think you lose some of that great low end torque also.

Miami_Vice454
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I think you lose some of that great low end torque also.

^ im pretty sure that too

lester985
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
thanks guys so no cut down

UNBROKEN
02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
u dont lose torque with lighting ure flywheel it doesnt change the powerband of the motor it just makes the motor spin up and down faster making it less luggable i think this mod would be better with a stage 2 cam and or porting

lester985
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
i have a stage 2 hot cam and ported head allready so it will rev up more like a xr 400 and will it stall

riotact
02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Here is what Trail Tech ATV had to say about there lightened flywheel.I know it is for a 450r but I'm sure it applies to the 400ex as well:

Trail Tech ATV Light Fly Wheel
- Ever find yourself in the woods, riding through tight, twisty, rocky trails, and the quad is constantly stalling; you’re over using your clutch to control the speed, and you’re getting worn out?
- Ever find yourself riding in the dunes and wishing for just a little more throttle response? Something extra to put your quad in front in a sand drag?
- Ever find yourself on a MX track wanting more snap as you come out of a corner?
- Have you got some vibration in your motor? It may be your flywheel - check here for more details on flywheel balance:
Flywheel balance
- All Trail Tech flywheels have high strength magnets which boost the stator output by 30-50%.
- Trail Tech Flywheels are CNC machined out of hardened chromoly steel, then balanced.
- Installation takes only about 30 minutes and is very simple - no drilling, tapping or grinding required.
- We do recommend using an air ratchet for easy removal, and using the correct puller is definitely the way to go.
Adding weight:
Adding weight increases inertia, which reduces the quad’s tendency to stall at low speeds.
In no way is top speed affected - the heavier flywheel just smoothes out power delivery
The machine will hook up better in soft terrain, and pull stronger.
Riding with a heavier flywheel will reduce arm pump and prolong the onset of fatigue.
A balanced flywheel will reduce vibration.
Removing weight:
Removing weight decreases inertia, which increases throttle response - more snap!
Sand sucks power away from a quad, increasing throttle response is a good thing.
A balanced flywheel will reduce vibration.
(total weight 20 oz): subtracts 4 ounces
Fits on: Honda TRX450R
O.E.M: 6600-20